Securing a shed

Options
Some mo fo has loosened the light bulb (twice now) that illuminates my shed area. Suggesting that I might (will) get hit. They must like lead or something. Anyone here bullet proof their shed?

Comments

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,050
    Options
    Time for some boards with finish nails sticking up placed in strategic locations.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,443
    edited November 2020
    Options
    That sucks, dude. Do you have high mount motion lights you can set up?

You can also set up some cheap motion detection for inside, until you decide whether you want to get full security. Put tape over the light, and put the sensor inside your shed, and the receiver in your br with sandbags on your window sill. You know, to stabilize your binoculars when the alarm goes off.

You can get these locally at Harbor Freight or Northern. Pretty cheap, so you could get a couple and hide them around your property to get an alert and a sense for when people come on.
    https://www.amazon.com/Bunker-Hill-Wireless-Security-Driveway/dp/B004U772GE/
    mbz05zr4yjk9.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,547
    Options
    These are for the most part harmless. Except maybe for someone's underwear. They may crap themselves.

12 ga trip alarm

"12 Gauge Perimeter Trip Alarm – Fith Ops" https://fithops.com/products/12-gauge-perimeter-alarm
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    May kill a pair of underwear
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    Wait...they loosened the bulb or shot it out? Cornfused...
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Wait...they loosened the bulb or shot it out? Cornfused...

loosened
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,929
    Options
    Sounds like you have intrusive lighting...

Is it very bright or something? They must be sending you a message that they don’t like it. 🤔
    Alea jacta est!
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,520
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    These are for the most part harmless. Except maybe for someone's underwear. They may crap themselves.

12 ga trip alarm

"12 Gauge Perimeter Trip Alarm – Fith Ops" https://fithops.com/products/12-gauge-perimeter-alarm

I tried this once with unexpected consequences.
    wrebo04tebei.jpeg
    l6iq2542dde8.jpeg

The upside is no more shed!

Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    edited November 2020
    Options
    So -- I feel a need to mention this, fully acknowledging that it may be completely irrelevant.

Over time, for reasons completely unknown to me, one or both of the bulbs in the fixtures flanking our (unused) front door will work loose enough not to light when switched on. I don't know if it from vibration (although, again, the door itself probably gets opened 2 or 3 times per year) or environmental heating/cooling or evil spirits or... whatever. I just know that roughly annually I have to tighten up one or both bulbs.

None of the other exterior bulbs (either the 'fancy' fixtures by the doors or the floods up high on the sides and corners of the house) do it -- just the ones by the front door.

9787456033_efa888a230_c.jpg96130005s by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    Sounds like you have intrusive lighting...

Is it very bright or something? They must be sending you a message that they don’t like it. 🤔

No, just a 60-watt bulb. If that is the case they are gonna meet my intrusive foot.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,929
    Options
    Some HOA’s require only downward pointing outside lights. Maybe it’s on all night (which security lights frequently are).

You could always install a surveillance camera, even a temporary one of the WiFi variety, to see who is doing what. 🤷‍♂️
    Alea jacta est!
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    if you have power to the shed, putting 120 to the handle will discourage someone...240 will really send a message.

Then there is a claymore, if you want to get messy...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    I don't worry about mine- it's full of snakes.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I need a moat.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    You could try putting a shroud around it so the light only hit's your yard as someone may be irritated by the lights. If that don't work, dig an 8 ft deep hole at the entrance, line the bottom with punji sticks and cover it with a thin piece of plywood painted the same color as the surrounding area.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mrbiron
    Options
    Punji sticks are great, except when you have to get the body out of the hole due to the smell. Then they are pain in the butt.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,574
    Options
    they should have some respect and come over and talk to you Bruce they have no business coming over and doing that if it's in their eyes or anything else.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    they should have some respect and come over and talk to you Bruce they have no business coming over and doing that if it's in their eyes or anything else.

Could be some nonconfrontational person.

Hey Bruce, you could put a note by it with a pencil on a string that says:
    Is this light bothering you? Yes No
    Are you unscrewing it with the intent to steal? Yes No
    Put your hands on your head, drop to your knees and cross your legs.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • msg
    Options
    I wouldn't approach any of you guys for anything like this, lol
    I can't see any of you saying, okay, sorry about that, I wasn't aware, I appreciate you telling me.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrbiron
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    I can't see any of you saying, okay, sorry about that, I wasn't aware, I appreciate you telling me.

You’d be greeted by the most punctual person you’ve ever met, who wasn’t wearing any pants.

I’ll be your huckleberry. :*<3
  • msg
    edited November 2020
    Options
    (You'd be Kip in this demonstration)
    knkk6ukwl7en.gif

I disabled signatures.
  • mrbiron
    Options
    I bag Lafawnduh, end of story.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,574
    Options
    msg wrote: »

Will I may umm ok like ask them if they could help me in the basement.........
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    I like the 120v to the handle idea.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2020
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Punji sticks are great, except when you have to get the body out of the hole due to the smell. Then they are pain in the butt.

Literally as well as figuratively.
    :|
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I need a moat.

Don't you live in the desert now?
  • afterburnt
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    mrbiron wrote: »

Literally as well as figuratively.
    :|
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I need a moat.

Don't you live in the desert now?

Yeah but that didn't stop these guys 4fs690vlg45v.jpg
  • audioluvr
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    I like the 120v to the handle idea.

Until you forget about it and go to grab something out of the shed... Once many lives ago I had a neighbor who kept getting his truck broke into (I had a dog in my yard so I was never touched). I suggested watering the area down and then hooking up an extension cord using alligator clips. Of course I was joking when I suggested it but he thought he'd give it a whirl. Next day he said "that 120v security system works great! This morning when I went to go to work, I grabbed the door handle and 'WHAM!!!" Next time I think I'll just put a sign in the window..."
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Yeah, AC shocks are no fun. :/
    That buzz... eww. The worst part is, it essentially paralyzes the muscles; you want to let go, but you can't (or, at least it's difficult). I'm getting gooseflesh remembering past experiences with insulation gaps on AC cords. :(

DC is much easier to take -- just whack and its done. Not pleasant; more like getting hit.

• audioluvr
    Options
    Now I have used electric fence chargers for one thing or other effectively...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• mhardy6647
    Options
    They are of the whack kind.
    I've gotten smacked by our bigger one a time or two due to carelessness on my part. Just enough to aggravate me; like a yellow jacket sting.