Killer deal on high-end knife .....

Comments

• gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    edited October 2020
    Recycled American munitions no doubt !
    😂

High carbon steel .... need to keep dry .

Bk

Irrenhaus wrote: »
    Hi

I got this ones about 2 weeks ago. Not Japanese but maid in Vietnam from recycle steel. So far doing good. Only thing is after cleaning them you will need to keep them dry.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/daovuaknives.html

mcul4eks4mq8.png

And this two. Have not try them yet. From Dalsrtong

y1cyvigyux5a.png

Cheers

Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • gyosa

Cuz he KILLS it on the drums !

Bk

Viking64 wrote: »
    Why is the drummer of Cheap Trick on the 4th knife?

Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Rick88 wrote: »
    4ckyby07c82w.jpg

Kurt Cobain, in the first one, Joe Diffie in the third, Bun Carlos in the fourth and Robert Smith?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    gyosa wrote: »
    Recycled American munitions no doubt !
    😂

High carbon steel .... need to keep dry .

Bk

Irrenhaus wrote: »
    Hi

I got this ones about 2 weeks ago. Not Japanese but maid in Vietnam from recycle steel. So far doing good. Only thing is after cleaning them you will need to keep them dry.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/daovuaknives.html

mcul4eks4mq8.png

And this two. Have not try them yet. From Dalsrtong

y1cyvigyux5a.png

Cheers

Not exactly. Leaf springs and steel pipes.
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • Only knives that I get worked up
    About are Automatic Swinguards! I have a have a Marine Pearl handle set of those from various famous makers! I wrapped them up
    A while back and put em away! Conversation pieces I guess! 🙂
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Only knives that I get worked up
    About are Automatic Swinguards! I have a have a Marine Pearl handle set of those from various famous makers! I wrapped them up
    A while back and put em away! Conversation pieces I guess! 🙂

Was having big guy gaff moment and meant to say half a dozen or so and got sidetracked. This thread and my reply got me to dig the collection out and spaced out the big 13” that wasn’t marine pearl! Don’t think it’s a good idea to post pics but if it is someone please say so! It might be one of those issues that aren’t allowed ??
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • gyosa
    Post pics ....

Bk

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Don’t think it’s a good idea to post pics but if it is someone please say so! It might be one of those issues that aren’t allowed ??

Cooking utensils are fine to post pictures of. I don’t think the PC Nancy’s, on this site will be too offended by such. ;)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • 4s4tx5xjjb4w.jpg
    t4341lmf3d0a.jpg
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Don’t think it’s a good idea to post pics but if it is someone please say so! It might be one of those issues that aren’t allowed ??

Cooking utensils are fine to post pictures of. I don’t think the PC Nancy’s, on this site will be too offended by such. ;)

Snuck a piece of my 2 ch rack in there😀
  • gyosa
    Switchblades ?
    Haven’t seen one of those in years !

Bk

• gyosa wrote: »
    Switchblades ?
    Haven’t seen one of those in years !

Bk

Swinguards are in a class all of their own! These are all in minty shape and Snap real hard. Just put back em back in a drawer where they sleep 😴
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    Switchblades/Stiletto's are now legal to own in Illinois now. Well legal if you have an F.O.I.D. (firearms card).
    Law enforcement has had the ability to carry for a long long time
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Well I broke down and ordered the Miyabi 4.5 inch paring knife from Macys. It seemed like a deal. A $190 knife on sale for $93 shipped. Unfortunately it is defective with some of the worse quality control I ever saw. The blade is at a 25 degree angle to the handle! You can see where the blade was originally ground incorrectly but for some reason they put it together anyway and tried to pass it off as a "premium" knife with "expert" craftsmanship.

I quit buying Henckels 25 years ago then they went mass market and started making most in China. But I thought the Miyabi knives were in a different class...............I was wrong.

zizyvtycu7pt.jpg

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Wow, I ordered one as well. I hope it isn’t bad. Can they be returned?
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • delkal
    edited November 2020
    The return seems easy with no questions asked but I will keep you posted if there is a problem. Just click on your order and click return. You print out the return label and slip and drop it off at a UPS store (or Macys).

Before I noticed the hack quality control I thought the knife had a lot of potential. It was razor sharp from the factory (even for a sharpening snob like me) and my girlfriend loved the looks. It was larger than I was expecting and I would not call it a paring knife. It is a Japanese style Petty knife.
  • gyosa
    edited November 2020
    Guys .....

That’s normal !
    Supposed to be like that .

It’s an asymmetric “D” shaped handle .....
    Every single Japanese knife with a asymmetric D handle will be like that , Miyabi , Shun , Enso etc....

kgyzrpo8q0dr.jpg

Every single one I own is like that ....and I have 5.
    When you hold the knife in your hand naturally , the blade will be perpendicular to the cutting board....

Trust me ....

And , no , I don’t work for Miyabi...... 😂😂

Bk
    Post edited by gyosa on

• gyosa
    edited November 2020
    EXACTLY the way it’s supposed to be ....
    Ergonomic design

ltemmtvmsbpy.jpg

Bk

• gyosa
    Another one ...
    Miyabi black edition ....

Bk

aartlaqibpji.jpg

• gyosa
    edited November 2020
    And another ....
    A miyabi Nakiri ....

You get my point ... ( pun intended ) 😂
    Every one .... it’s supposed to be that way ...

rel5x3fiinye.jpg
    Post edited by gyosa on

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I should probably get new knives. I bought mine in the late 70s.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gyosa
    Added a miyabi black to the stable the other day ..
    Found a killer deal ...
    ZDP-189 steel .... top of the line Japanese steel ....

Bk

s6tjokmgqtzl.jpg

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Do they make a left handed knife
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • gyosa

Curious ,

How was the blade ground incorrectly?

You understand it’s Damascus layered steel , right ?

Post a pic please ....
    Miyabi QC is second to none .....

I said earlier it was actually 5” long - perfect size all-around knife in my opinion ...

Other than the normal blade offset , how do you like it ?

Bk

delkal wrote: »
    Well I broke down and ordered the Miyabi 4.5 inch paring knife from Macys. It seemed like a deal. A $190 knife on sale for $93 shipped. Unfortunately it is defective with some of the worse quality control I ever saw. The blade is at a 25 degree angle to the handle! You can see where the blade was originally ground incorrectly but for some reason they put it together anyway and tried to pass it off as a "premium" knife with "expert" craftsmanship.

I quit buying Henckels 25 years ago then they went mass market and started making most in China. But I thought the Miyabi knives were in a different class...............I was wrong.

zizyvtycu7pt.jpg

• gyosa
    edited November 2020
    No , supposedly ambidextrous.

I prob have 20 knives that I’ve acquired over the years , some good , some middle , some cheap ,
    and I’ve come to prefer the D handle ....probably wouldn’t buy another knife without it.
    Maybe a traditional Japanese style octagon handle , but certainly wouldn’t buy one with a “western” style handle.

Bk

txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Do they make a left handed knife

• delkal
    Guys .....

That’s normal !
    Supposed to be like that .

It’s an asymmetric “D” shaped handle .....
    Every single Japanese knife with a asymmetric D handle will be like that , Miyabi , Shun , Enso etc....

Every single one I own is like that ....and I have 5.
    When you hold the knife in your hand naturally , the blade will be perpendicular to the cutting board....

Bk

Thanks for letting me know it is supposed to be that way. I have 7 hand crafted Japanese knives with the traditional Wa handles and most of them have an asymmetric D handle with a raised ridge on the right. Looking thru them all of the knives ground on both sides the blade is straight with the handle. Only the ones only with a single bevel (sharpened on one side only) are at a slight angle (in the opposite direction). And this angle is much less than the Miyabi.

The Miyabi and Shun style of knives are more westernized hybrids with a forged bolster not seen on traditional Japanese knives. This is the part where I thought the blade was ground incorrectly. On all of my knives the tang is straight with the blade and not ground at an angle at the bolster. The Miyabi also has more rounded handles that seem undersized even for a parer. I am not saying there is anything wrong with their designs......just that they are different.

I did some cutting this morning and when you hold the Miyabi and put it down on a board without looking the edge is close to perpendicular. I would not recommend this design for a lefty though. The handle is not as comfortable in your left hand and if you hold it naturally without looking and do the same test the blade angle is way off.

I do think this is a quality knife and I will keep it. Like I mentioned this is the first knife I bought in 30 years that I didn't have to immediately sharpen when I got it. This kind of sharpness will blow the general public away.

• fish357
    fish357 Posts: 304
    edited November 2020
    msg wrote: »
    Nice stabbers!

How would you go about sharpening knives like this? Take them somewhere, or buy a sharpener?

A leather strip is a great way to keep them honed. Good Damascus steel shouldn’t need a lot of attention.
    I love my Shun Premier stuff, this santoku is my favorite.
    qkpri4s1k49y.jpeg

Edit- strop, not strip, stupid iPhone.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Thanks for all the information, everyone. I almost ordered one, but as a lefty, will have to think hard. I have no Japanese knives in my rack and would to try one. Lefties can usually adapt, however. Tempting.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    edited November 2020
    The knife is actually 5” long - dunno why it says 4.5”
    I own this one and several others from the series.
    Thanks for sharing. Is the actual cutting edge 5"? The one in the link does not match any in your pic.
    Post edited by jdjohn on
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • fish357
    fish357 Posts: 304
    maxward wrote: »
    Thanks for all the information, everyone. I almost ordered one, but as a lefty, will have to think hard. I have no Japanese knives in my rack and would to try one. Lefties can usually adapt, however. Tempting.

I’m a lefty. (;
  • More Miyabi knives on Costco:

Miyabi Koh 8" Chef's Knife $99

(Zwilling J.A. Henckels)

b6w8q1y8bmu5.png
    Three other Miyabi knives available on Costco website
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA