Electric

Given there will be a push to make transport electric, did anyone do the math?
We are looking at a household with two cars using 30-50% more power than
They do today. The grid in most states isn't going to handle even a modest
Increase in demand.
"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• Jeremy Clarkson and James May have been saying that for years
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    So 40 years from now you got fusion. And the grid can't handle the load,
    So I guess they double the cost per KW to start building it now?
    And do you think there's enough rare metals to make batteries for this
    New fleet of vehicles?
    Botton line is transport and grid costs double today and maybe new tech
    Creates the power and builds the batteries?
    Maybe it's time to re-examine other tech. Or get used to walking.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    It's a fools errand.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    In my area it doesn't seem to be a problem generating enough power, but the distribution of that power is another matter with the outdated transformers running at 200% capacity.
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,022
    Private home/office fuel cells are available. Not saying they're economical, but would relieve the grid load and dependency case by case, if desired.
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • sucks2beme
    Someone needs to be thinking past gas.
    Maybe hydrogen is better. It certainly stores
    Easier. The tech to burn it is pretty conventional.
    It creates water when burned. Either way at
    Some point oil runs out. China has starting
    Building pebble bed reactors that are pretty much
    Meltdown proof. That tech is a good source
    of cheap power. Double win, more electricity
    and it also can be used to power hydrogen cracking.
    Wind and solar can't easily be stored without, you
    Guessed it, batteries. But you can use it to crack
    hydrogen to use later.
    Either way, yes the fools are rushing forward
    Without thinking through the issues.
    Batteries are the weak link here.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    I feel depressed now.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    msg wrote: »
    I feel depressed now.

Maybe doing The Electric Slide will cheer you up.

*self groan*
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Mining those rare earth metals burns a LOT of fossil fuel. Electric vehicles built with the batteries are so heavy, it takes more energy to propel them.

And if burning hydrogen produces H2O, that's more water vapor in the atmosphere, and less oxygen, so...
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • jdjohn
    edited November 2020
    3x0f5n7fp4x6.jpg

bbjwh90ve54b.jpg
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,022
    This article from two years ago addresses hydrogen as well.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/10/181029130939.htm
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • sucks2beme
    msg wrote: »
    I feel depressed now.

It's a problem to be solved, that's all. Not something a politician
    Can wave his hand at and fix. Imagine electricity before Tesla and
    Westinghouse. Edison's plan sucked. They made it work.
    We need a couple of smart guys on this. Not a bunch of
    aging hippies.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited November 2020
    I wouldn't worry about the two-electric-car garage catastrophe -- I don't think that's the way it's gonna happen.

The future of many folks' work routine and the future of "personal" transportation is poised, methinks, to change rapidly and revolutionarily.

The former's already changed, and, at least in the northeast, folks are moving away from the cities in droves to places with less dense population and good infrastructure (like... umm... New Hampshire ;) ) to telecommute. Real estate has gone nuts in the exurbs and the countryside, at least up this-a-ways. I have mixed feelings about that, of course -- but the ship's sailed (again, methinks).

The latter old way of working (personally owned and operated vehicles) will transiently change to ride-sharing in the current mode for most folks, and then transition to fleets of roving AI directed electric vehicles that will make good use of their time and battery charge to get people where they want to go when they want to go. Obviously, small contractors and whatnot will still have owner-operated vehicles of some sort (maybe little or no change in the short term for that demographic).

Besides...
    One word, Benjamin.
    fusion.

B)
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2617417
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Besides...
    One word, Benjamin.
    fusion.

Fusion? Like jazz-rock?
  • I look forward to having a bridge to Hawaii since we won't have planes anymore. :)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    You won't be able to afford fly. Gas will be to expensive
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    I don't believe electric cares are the answer, just seems like the latest fad for the green energy folks.
  • mhardy6647
    Viking64 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Besides...
    One word, Benjamin.
    fusion.

Fusion? Like jazz-rock?

I'm puttin my future in Kenny G's hands.
  • jdjohn
    Robots will also become more and more a part of the work force, and they obviously run on electricity.

I personally worry about a huge solar flare taking out our power grid. We should invest in that infrastructure first and foremost.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    We are heading back to the age of horse and buggy
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    audioluvr wrote: »

No no no I still have a red barchetta...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

And I still have a Pinto...
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    edited November 2020
    My parents had a red Pinto. I ran it off the toad into a barbed wire fence when I was 15. But they never knew...as far as I know.
    Post edited by PSOVLSK on
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2020
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    My parents had a red a Pinto. I ran it off the toad into a barbed wire fence when I was 15. But they never...as far as I know.
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Well it's Texas and we do have big TOADS

... takes a Pinto to run one off.

:|
  • jdjohn
    I hope the Pinto has good brake lights! You don't want to get slammed in the rear!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

And I still have a Pinto...

I'm sorry 😔
  • I had a 73 Pinto that was rear ended. That was the year they blew up but, mine had the recall done to it with the steel brace around the tank. I paid a 100 bucks for the car and I put plywood floorboards in it. It was orange and white and even had a sunroof. I thought I'd struck gold when the other drivers insurance gave me 1,100 for it.