Getting closer to fusion power

Will be nice to have unlimited power.

“After a long, seven-year development, an experimental fusion reactor in the UK has been successfully powered on for the time, achieving 'first plasma': confirmation that all its components can work together to heat hydrogen gas into the plasma phase of matter.

This transition – achieved last week by a machine called MAST Upgrade in Culham, Oxfordshire – is the fundamental ingredient of a working nuclear fusion reactor, a dream scientists have been trying to realise for decades.

In nuclear fusion, the nuclei of two or more lighter elements fuse into a heavier nucleus, and release energy. This phenomenon is what goes on in the heart of the Sun, and if we can recreate and maintain the same reactions on Earth at sufficient scale, we stand to reap the rewards of clean, virtually limitless, low-carbon energy.

Not that we're there quite yet, but the successful completion and first test run of MAST Upgrade is a significant milestone in the journey. The original MAST (Mega Amp Spherical Tokamak) facility ran from 1999 to 2013, and its successor has been in the works ever since, so it's an important proof of concept.”

https://www.sciencealert.com/huge-fusion-experiment-achieves-first-plasma-in-landmark-step-towards-clean-energy
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    It really, truly is our only long-term hope for sustainable energy with minimal downsides.

It's still been a long, slow gestation.
    We'll see.

• Binding energy is your friend.
    Sal Palooza
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Yeah, I will believe it when I see it!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    Better hope they don't recreate the sun
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • I remember 50 years ago when it was going to be viable and in operation in 40 years. I bet the guess is still 40 years. I hope this doesn't end up like the cure for cancer.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • mhardy6647
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Better hope they don't recreate the sun

An itty-bitty sun is exactly what's needed. B)
  • mhardy6647
    I remember 50 years ago when it was going to be viable and in operation in 40 years. I bet the guess is still 40 years. I hope this doesn't end up like the cure for cancer.

10-4.

as we used to say of one company I worked for a long time ago:
    Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow
    :(

Actually, I do remain optimistic re: controlled and sustainable fusion that "makes" more energy than it uses. But, so far, no go.

The uncontrolled kind works great, but it's kind of hard to capture the energy that's released. :(

c6dktv7swwqz.png
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2020
    Binding energy is your friend.

Yup: E = m*c^2 (where m is the atomic mass deficit -- i.e., conversion of mass to energy when two hydrogen nuclei are fused to yield one helium nucleus)

Yes that delta m is small (per fused nucleus), but c^2 is really big, and thus, so is E. :)

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    I'm holding out for the fusion flashlight....until then I'm not interested.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Testing....Republicans
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I'm holding out for the fusion flashlight....until then I'm not interested.

Huh ? What ? You can't ....... Oh, "flAshlight" .... I thought .....
    ...nevermind.. :o

And remember
    Critical .....ok
    Supercritical.....ok
    Prompt Critical.........Ow.

Sal Palooza
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    No wonder I've been seeing "Chain Reaction" on Showtime a lot lately....
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    I like that movie
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    I am skipping the whole electric vehicle thing and waiting for a fusion powered vehicle.
  • afterburnt
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Binding energy is your friend.

Yup: E = m*c^2 (where m is the atomic mass deficit -- i.e., conversion of mass to energy when two hydrogen nuclei are fused to yield one helium nucleus)

Yes that delta m is small (per fused nucleus), but c^2 is really big, and thus, so is E. :)

Now you are just creeping me the **** out.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    21vdwviqmtwy.jpeg
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Testing.....Democrats :D
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    You never know...

k2lphficr0c8.png

tfftu9ifvc25.png

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    For a long time we have been able to achieve fusion reactions. The real problem is that it takes enormous pressure and temperature to start. Fusion bombs (the "H" bomb) uses fission reactions to trigger fusion. The energy gain achieved in fusion reactors has been less than 1. In other words, it takes more energy to achieve fusion compared to what we get out of it. The challenge over the years to achieve reaction gain greater than 1 of the usable energy. Usable, meaning a power output that does not include energy losses due to heat.

• afterburnt
    @mhardy6647 can you talk more of that Knute Rockne stuff, it's so sexy?