Sub Hookup - Dual RCA or Single Sub Cable with Splitter? (music)

Options
msg
msg Posts: 9,434
You guys have any preference for sub hookup? I've been spending a bit of time recently reading a bit about subs. I understand that many prefer high-level inputs with subs for music.

If speaker-level is not an option:
  • With a single sub, is dual RCAs better than a single subwoofer cable with a splitter for L/R RCAs at the sub?
  • Or does it not matter, generally?
  • Should one use two cables designed for subwoofer use?

May have an opportunity to try stereo subs, which I've always been curious about. I like this idea of multiple smaller subs vs a single large one. As I understand it, smaller subs are supposed to be faster than larger ones? Is this true or a wive's tale (old or otherwise)?

I'm curious about servo subs, but won't get to scratch that itch for a while yet.
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    I believe it depends on the application. Since most pre-outs are a single RCA, I would use an adapter like this if your sub has L & R RCA inputs:

b84_grande_43db6027-435b-4577-a1c7-9298722e8e61_600x.jpg?v=1539206008

Otherwise, just using the "L" input on the sub should be adequate. I'm not sure there's any "right" way to do this.

Regarding your question about smaller subs being faster, I recently watched this video which touched on the subject of a subwoofer's "speed":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS_pNH2jrvY
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    I use the speaker cables from my integrated amp to the sub's speaker cable binding posts.

If I had to use an RCA cable, I would connect it to the L on the back or get an adapter as Drew mentioned above
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    Options
    If your source has a subwoofer/LFE output you would split that using a male to 2 female RCA like this. https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-ULTRA-RCA-Y-Adapter-Inches/dp/B005DL2OVE/ref=pd_sbs_23_4/144-4914168-9672702 The typical mono input at the sub is the Left (sometimes marked LFE) but check the manual.

If your source doesn't have a sub output but has pre-outs for L and R, you will have to feed each sub with both the left and right line level signals so a pair of these plus a stereo RCA to each sub should do the job.

If you don't have any pre-outs then you'll need a High-Level Speaker Signal to Low-Level RCA Adapter, subs with speaker level inputs, or a new source.