After a year made it to the gym

At the end of last October I ended up in the hospital until the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Even though my 'treatment' wasn't finished, I said enough of this, take these tubes out of my arms, and let me out of here. So, after a while I felt better, and was ready to start working out again. Then at the end of January I ended up in the hospital again for another reason. LOL.

Fortunately, this was only for five days. So after recovering from that I was ready to start working out again, and then the Covid lockdown started. So, all gyms were closed.

Well, not long ago the gyms in this area were allowed to reopen, and, after a year, I finally went today. While I had been working out at home with a pair of 25 pound dumbbells there is no substitute for gym gear. My poor hamstrings were especially happy since there is no way to really work them at home with no equipment. Anyway, I am now a bit tired, but feel good. Hopefully, I will be okay tomorrow and can go back. Knock on wood, but I hope my health is fine from here on out, and I can keep working out the rest of my life.

If you are going to drink beer and listen to music you need to stay in shape. :)
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Good work and keep at it. The hardest part is getting back into that routine.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Good you're getting back at it, Bud! But just to be clear: there are MANY hamstring exercises you can do at home, especially with 25 lb dumbbells. Good mornings, kettle bell swings using one dumbbell, hip thrusts with a dumbbell on your lower waist, mountain climbers, lunges, and more. So don't me any more excuses lol!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    LOL. Yes, those work the hamstrings, and I did some of them. However, for me, leg curls work best, and they sure felt good yesterday.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    congrats Bud. You will do well. It's all about routine. Hell when I say Tonys post about giving up bread , i thought what the hell. I've dropped 18 lbs giving up bread. I do walk 2.5 miles a day on the treadmill 7 days a week. Feel so much better dropping the weight and I still enjoy beer. Best wishes Bud.
  • BlueFox
    Went again today, and used slightly heavier weight. Now, after two days in a row, I am exhausted. Fortunately, Tuesday night is a beer/music night, so I will recover tomorrow, and go back Thursday and Friday.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    It's good that you are able to pace yourself when getting back to "fitness" I remember an episode of "Friends" where Chandler over does it and can't move. I've been there and it sucks. Lactic acid buildup takes days to recover from (don't ask me how I know). Now I avoid that sort of thing because my daily routine is quite active but when recovering from cancer surgery it took a lot of work to get back to "normal". Hang in there. You're doing good things!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Keep at it! First few workouts are the toughest.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    It's a good kind of pain, I think.
    Then again, I used to be a CIA operative, and would get myself caught on purpose just for the torture.
    I disabled signatures.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    12 oz curls !

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    msg wrote: »
    It's a good kind of pain, I think.
    Then again, I used to be a CIA operative, and would get myself caught on purpose just for the torture.

Why do I get the distinct feeling that you aren't joking?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Went again today, and used slightly heavier weight. Now, after two days in a row, I am exhausted. Fortunately, Tuesday night is a beer/music night, so I will recover tomorrow, and go back Thursday and Friday.

Wish you all the best Bud, but in my neck of the woods Gyms and bars are still the number one spreader of the virus. My wife wants to go back but every time she thinks it might be ok, a few more cases come out of her gym and they have to close for awhile. Just be careful, your in a high risk category, age, health conditions.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    tonyb wrote: »

Wish you all the best Bud, but in my neck of the woods Gyms and bars are still the number one spreader of the virus. My wife wants to go back but every time she thinks it might be ok, a few more cases come out of her gym and they have to close for awhile. Just be careful, your in a high risk category, age, health conditions.

Have to agree with this. Get yourself a kettlebell, sandbag, and resistance bands and you can do it all at home...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • BlueFox
    I have to admit that Covid is on my mind, and I try to be careful, but you never know what you are touching. Even first wiping the gear down, while better, doesn't guarantee anything. Cases are rising in the area, and another shutdown is probably inevitable in the future. I think I will restrict myself to going twice a week versus four days a week. I have been working out at home for a long time now, but the equipment at the gym does have an appeal.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Yes, I would stay away from the Gym as I would think it would be very easy to catch the virus there. I agree with what tonyb said.

I've been doing 60 pushups or more each day MWF for the last 6 months or so at home. Don't need any special equipment for that and it helps the upper body. Feel better since I started doing them. Now I just need to get on the wife's treadmill which I hate doing.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • msg
    Yeah, that getting-started hurdle can be a B almost every single time. Sometimes I have to trick myself and keeping saying, "Don't think, just do." Just get my stuff on and start the motion.

Starting is the hardest part. I've never reached the end of a workout and said, "Well that sucked, what a waste of time that was. Wish I hadn't bothered."
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I have to admit that Covid is on my mind, and I try to be careful, but you never know what you are touching. Even first wiping the gear down, while better, doesn't guarantee anything. Cases are rising in the area, and another shutdown is probably inevitable in the future. I think I will restrict myself to going twice a week versus four days a week. I have been working out at home for a long time now, but the equipment at the gym does have an appeal.

Your right Bud, the equipment at the gym does have an appeal. This is why I went out and found the exact same commercial rowing machine my wife was using at the gym. Now we both row at home.

Don't get me wrong, eventually she will go back to the gym, just not yet. Just trying as best we can to mimic the gym experience. She has kettle balls, dumbbells', resistance bands, etc. You can find commercial grade gym gear at second hand shops. Usually every4-6 months most gyms trade in their stuff for newer models. With them being closed for so long with virus mandates, nobody is buying new gear and these second hand stores are having trouble unloading what they already have. Warehouses full of commercial grade gear at half retail or better. Check it out in your area, look for your favorite machine at the gym and see if it might be cost effective to bring one in house.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • msg
    That's a really nice setup, Jeremy. What do you have going there? Is that a heavy bag?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Thanks it serves us well. Lots of dumbbells from 5-105lbs. Bench with 300+ of plates. Pull-up/Dip bar and a dip belt. Treadmill and a heavy bag. Couple of other things ab wheel, resistance bands, and a few different bars.

Just been adding pieces over time and the wife uses some of it too.

I’d like to get a decline bench sometime and maybe a squat rack.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • msg
    Cool. Oooh, yeah, a squat rack would be great. Like Bud was saying about gym gear, there are some things you just can't easily replicate at home without going all out on equipment.

A squat rack and leg curls are the two main exercises I can't quite find replacements for, but like Paul was saying, there are exercises that hit these areas. It's not quite the same, but I found the same as you, Jeremy - it was just too difficult to be able to get to the gym consistently as life got busier, and doing something at home was better than doing nothing at all.

I use a combination of a glideboard trainer (kinda like a Total Gym), quick-adjust dumbbells, pushup blocks, a pull-up bar, a swiss ball, and my bike. Jump rope too, but haven't done that in a while. Also have some foam mats from Harbor Freight that I set a double layer with for jump squats and stretches.

I was never one for home workouts when I was younger because I saw that most people would buy that stuff, use it for a few weeks and then it would just collect dust.
    This combination, though, works pretty well overall, and it's quick and convenient. My fitness goals have changed now too. It's more about energy and well being now.
    I disabled signatures.
  • BlueFox
    I would like to have a nice home gym, but, other than the garage, there is no place for it. I do have a treadmill I bought in the 90s, but it's broken now. I need to have some junk company haul it away, and then buy a new a new one.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • rooftop59
    I would like to have a nice home gym, but, other than the garage, there is no place for it. I do have a treadmill I bought in the 90s, but it's broken now. I need to have some junk company haul it away, and then buy a new a new one.

Get rid of it, Sell a speaker cable and buy a peloton Bud (or something similar). You really can get a pretty killer workout doing a spin type bike exercise. That was an important part of my ACL recovery...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited October 2020
    Yeah any way you can get your heart pumping for a good 30minutes or more each day is most important.

Strength training is great and I love it, but cardiovascular fitness is key.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I used to go to the gym but it was too much work.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    Yeah any way you can get your heart pumping for a good 30minutes or more each day is most important.

Agreed; my favorite cardio machine is the 4000pt stair stepper. I liked it so much at the local gym that I hunted one down for home use. 30 minutes at level 7 gets the blood pumping and then some
    1b80mtzg8dhi.jpg

• Yeah any way you can get your heart pumping for a good 30minutes or more each day is most important.

Agreed; my favorite cardio machine is the 4000pt stair stepper. I liked it so much at the local gym that I hunted one down for home use. 30 minutes at level 7 gets the blood pumping and then some
    1b80mtzg8dhi.jpg

Nice. One machine I really miss from the gym is the Jacob’s ladder. That thing wore me out like no other.

dnqjcngpvnqu.jpeg
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    I swim 4 miles a day , 5 day a week at my local Y ...
    The pool is the safest place to be in Dallas ... submerged in liquid sanitizer ... 😂

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited October 2020
    gyosa wrote: »
    I swim 4 miles a day , 5 day a week at my local Y ...
    The pool is the safest place to be in Dallas ... submerged in liquid sanitizer ... 😂

Bk

Wow that’s awesome. Seems like it would be very challenging.
  • BlueFox
    At this point I am rethinking my decision to go back to the gym. Covid is increasing here and I wouldn't be surprised if gyms are shutdown again. I will think about it over the weekend, but now am ready to cancel. I'm pretty tired now since I hit the weights pretty hard today in the garage.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042

[/quote]

Nice. One machine I really miss from the gym is the Jacob’s ladder. That thing wore me out like no other.

dnqjcngpvnqu.jpeg
    [/quote]

Our gym didn't have one of those but I can bet that's a total body workout.