Killer deal on high-end knife .....

gyosa
gyosa Posts: 675
edited October 2020 in The Clubhouse
1zlf15lw24fq.jpg
FYI - if anyone interested

Miyabi Birchwood ... these things normally run $240 ...
Less than $100 with the additional 30% off ....
Best knife you will ever own ..Japanese Damascus steel and will hold a razor blade edge for a long time in between sharpenings...
Makes trimming a brisket childs play.

The knife is actually 5” long - dunno why it says 4.5”
I own this one and several others from the series.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/miyabi-birchwood-4.5-paring-knife?ID=2306855

Bk
Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Nice stabbers!

How would you go about sharpening knives like this? Take them somewhere, or buy a sharpener?
    I disabled signatures.
  • gyosa
    edited October 2020
    Japanese waterstones....
    Easy peasy

I wouldn’t trust them to knife shop unless they had experience sharpening these types of knives with stones.
    They take a 9-12 degree edge angle , which is very acute - that’s why they’re so sharp .
    Any other kind of steel can’t hold that edge without chipping in use.
    If you buy one , you’ll buy more ....😩

A grinder or rod will ruin them .

Best $92 knife you will ever own - actually best $200 knife you’ll ever own ....

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Did you use Velcro to stick them on the bamboo?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    It's Japanese velcro.

I've used whetstones before but not with anything requiring any kind of accuracy. I don't know that I could maintain an angle while doing so. Is there a trick to maintain angles while sharpening?

Don't some knives have a double angle edge?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    That really was a Hattori Hanzo sword!
  • gyosa
    F1nut wrote: »
    Did you use Velcro to stick them on the bamboo?

Ha ha !
    Magnetic knife stand

msg wrote: »
    It's Japanese velcro.

I've used whetstones before but not with anything requiring any kind of accuracy. I don't know that I could maintain an angle while doing so. Is there a trick to maintain angles while sharpening?

Don't some knives have a double angle edge?

It’s not that hard ...
    Practice with a couple crappy knives first ...
    If you don’t get the angle right , just re-do.

Dunno about double angle ... these are same angle on both sides.

Really not that hard to do ...

Bk

• @gyosa, a great subject.

Once you use a Japanese knife, you will not go back.

I started buying Shun Kaji from Williams-Sonoma several years ago. I bought the first ones as Christmas gifts to myself and my favorite "other" because W-S has great sales on Shun at Christmas and the Japanese knives are great gifts.

v7w5votsrbaq.jpg
    (Shun Kaji hollow-ground Santoku knife)

Shun Kaji knives feature a 65-layer blade with a premium SG-2 powdered steel cutting core. The core is clad in 64 layers of forged nickel and stainless steel.

To get your knives razor sharp about twice a year, W-S will sharpen your first knife for free, and each knife after that is just $5.

I would say knives are a hobby too that has its own "rabbit hole".
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited October 2020
    The Ken Onion edition is interesting as he is interesting.

Ken Onion is an American custom knifemaker based in Kaneohe, Hawaii, United States who invented the "SpeedSafe" assisted opening mechanism for Kershaw Knives. Ken Onion was the Premier Knife Designer for Kershaw Knives.

I see he also makes enough money to live in Hawaii.

I know Williams-Sonoma uses some type of mechanical device. Next time there, I am going to look at it.

@pitdogg2, can you post some pics of those combat knives? (if allowable on Polk)
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited October 2020
    https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/knives/all-knives/applegate-combat-folder-double-bevel-serrated-05780

This one started it all Harry. The original first run was 154cm steel (which I have) I have 4 or 5 of the versions full size, compact, black out blade. One I carried for years the others kept just in case.

Afaik they no longer make them with the 154cm steel.
  • gyosa
    That’s a cool sharpener.

Yes , knives can be a rabbit hole too 😂

Bk

• msg
    Great info here, guys. I liken this to nicely constructed tools.

Ivan, how do you know what grit belt to use? So you do a staged sharpening and honing? How do you determine a knife's blade angle?
    Shun Kaji knives feature a 65-layer blade with a premium SG-2 powdered steel cutting core. The core is clad in 64 layers of forged nickel and stainless steel.

To get your knives razor sharp about twice a year, W-S will sharpen your first knife for free, and each knife after that is just $5.
    Wow! 65 layers?
    Good info on sharpening at WS.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    Scott if just resharpening I start at either 400 or 600 and go down 800,1600 finish with 6000. I will say this many times it feels like you're not getting a good bite or a good sharpening on the blade until you get that finished strapping belt. So even after the finished 1600 strapping belt I feel I still need to sharpen more I'll go back to the 800 1600 and then finish again. It takes practice and then you'll get to feel for it. Mine just has plates I don't know what the degree angles are right now I want to say it's 25° on each side or 20° on each side. most good knife makers will tell you in their ad what degree sharpening their knives have and then you go from there.
  • gyosa
    When using stones I start with a 1,000 grit Cerax stone and finish with a 5,000 grit Suehira “Rika” .

Bk

• pitdogg2
    edited October 2020
    Fabulous beautiful knives @gyosa I'd love to have a set.
    Unfortunately out of my price range.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    I’m not looking at these knives as I don’t want to be sucked in
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • pitdogg2
    Joey_V wrote: »

Of course knives you don't need are knives you need....
    Come on man buy your wife a nice set of knives to proudly show.

Beats a murse
  • gyosa
    edited October 2020
    Come on ...
    It’s only one knife !

It will be your “go to” knife .... trust me !
    This one is the perfect size for just about everything - great general purpose knife.

Less than a hundred bucks - that’s what a crappy knife costs !

😂😂

Bk

Joey_V wrote: »

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    For quality Japanese knives you need a set of quality Japanese water stones unless you find an expert to sharpen them. The steel is much harder than western knives and if you try and use your old oilstone the knife can just skate on them and you will have to push too hard to ever get a quality edge. You can buy a starter set of cheap waterstones that will amaze you sharpening your regular knives but for the ultra hard handmade Japanese knives you will need a better set. Plan on $200+.

I also started using the Japanese method of sharpening on a stone. It takes a little practice but once you get it the method is faster and you get a very accurate bevel angle. This is a great youtube series and should tell you all you need to know.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=erseerRFKLA&list=PLsSxXLQSZIe__A5THcrFGto9_PSkXWiN6&index=2
  • gyosa
    Interestingly , Miyabi and Shun are just the tip of the iceberg.....
    “Entry level” compared to some of the Uber-exotic handmade Japanese knives - which can START at several hundred dollars and reach kilobuck prices .....
    Those are not for kitchen use in my opinion..... I guess people collect all manner of things....

Bk

• delkal
    The Japanese knife world can be just as obsessive as the audiophile world with the quest for the perfect edge. For starters you want to avoid machine made knives and get the ones forged by an established knife maker. They should made like the Samurai swords with a core of quality steel forge welded to mild steel sides. Quality of the steel and hardness comes first followed by craftsmanship and the Japanese pay a premium for older master craftsman. I started a set of Shigeki tanaka knives 20 years ago before he was well established. I bought most on Ebay directly from Japan and got them for bargain prices. Today they quadrupled in price. I have not ordered from this company but here is some of his work.

https://japanny.com/collections/shigeki-tanaka

If you want to get your toes wet with Japanese knives his brother makes some in the country style with unfinished sides that leave on the blacksmith forge marks. He still uses quality steel and for $50 it is a bargain. I believe this Ebay link might be one of his. The markings on the box is the same but I never bought from this seller. If you look at the first pic you see the rough sides but you also see the bottom1/4 inch is a different color steel. This is the core of a blacksmith knife and what you want. If a knife is the same color at the edge avoid it.

https://ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Kitchen-Chef-knives-Mint-Tosauchi-Black-Nakiri-170mm-Japan-1664/164469787264?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

This is an ebay seller i have bought from and he has some good forged starter knives for good prices. He prices his high shipping into the price so they are not really starting at $10 (and he doesn't combine shipping). But if you are patient and don't get into a bidding war you can get some deals.

https://ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Super-Blue-Steel-Double-beveled-Small-Deba-Knife-105mm-made-in-Sakai/114488205132?hash=item1aa8075f4c:g:M74AAOSwy6Jd02VE

• delkal
    Just one note to my last post. If you order knives directly from Japan some times they do not come razor sharp and need to be sharpened. In Japan knife making and knife sharpening are different crafts. If you buy the same knife in the US I think most reputable companies give them a sharpening before they send them out but you need to be sure to ask. And you will pay a lot more.

This is the company behind the sharpening videos I posted earlier. They are well known in the quality knife world and since they are master sharpeners They should send them out razor sharp.

https://korin.com/japanese-knives

• gyosa
    Those Tanaka knives look nice , and not obscenely priced ....

Bk

• Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Hi

I got this ones about 2 weeks ago. Not Japanese but maid in Vietnam from recycle steel. So far doing good. Only thing is after cleaning them you will need to keep them dry.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/daovuaknives.html

mcul4eks4mq8.png

And this two. Have not try them yet. From Dalsrtong

y1cyvigyux5a.png

Cheers

HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Why is the drummer of Cheap Trick on the 4th knife?
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Viking64 wrote: »

LMFAO, good one!!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • gyosa
    Oh man !

Too ****’ funny !!

Bk

Rick88 wrote: »
    The title of this thread had me thinking this could be a Halloween joke for something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Serial-Killer-Horror-Kitchen-Knife/dp/B089DQ6HQ6

4ckyby07c82w.jpg

• gyosa

Cuz he KILLS on the drums !

Bk

Viking64 wrote: »