Any coin collectors out there?

Found this 1970 yellow penny. Is it anything special? Thanks. Dkvwzo00xh9c5.jpeg
f6bxw7hrwg8y.jpeg
6ep5km1bva5y.jpeg
MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Not a coin collector, but I googled "yellow penny" and found some results... And I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night!
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    I used to collect, and to sell coins on eBay, (jimbos*coins). I have never seen a yellow penny, but there's reason for it to have come from the mint like that. It was probably altered, either on purpose or by accident, after it left the mint.

So, probably worth one cent. Much like my advice.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    I have been collecting coin for about 45 years, almost have enough to retire on.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    "it is an off metal error , a planchet that was intended to be a foreign coin ( US minted coins for other countries ) extreemly valuable - if its not fake, possible Ireland blank , Australia, or albania area"

That's from a collector website. I highly doubt the "extreemly" (sp?) valuable assessment although the yellow penny seemed to occur in 1964.

Now if we're talking about a mint 1909 S VDB penny, that's something different.

Sal Palooza
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Reviving this thread and looking for advice as I sort through my dad's coin collection.
    08eny1gcbuxg.jpg
    I've already done some research on each type of coin, and from what I can tell, no real special ones in this bunch.

It is quite an assortment, though. Includes Morgan and Peace silver dollars, Kennedy and Liberty half-dollars, Liberty quarters, Mercury dimes, Indian-head pennies, Wheat pennies (including steel ones from '43). Again, I've researched, and no rarities in the bunch.

I'm wondering if the silver price (most are 90% silver, 10% copper) would be better than selling them in lots on eBay.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited October 2020
    I think it's gold plated for some reason.

I collected coins for 20+ years. Still have a few gems, not many, but still have some, like a uncirculated roll of 193(?) pennies. They look like they were made in 2020. B)

I think kids ( and adults too, like Buddy Ebson, who was Jed ClamPett and he collected some of the finest gold coins this country has ever seen. He sold them all [ I think ] when he retired. Millions worth of AWSOME gold coins! ) should have hobbies. I can't think of a better one than collecting old USA money.

Indian Head Pennies was my ultimate collection. Long story on how that came to be. :p

This article pertains to buddy's collection before it went up for auction. I read it was just some of his collection.

BUDDY EBSEN IS SELLING HIS RARE COINS
    Roger Boye
    CHICAGO TRIBUNE
    Television actor Buddy Ebsen--one of the country`s most famous coin buffs --will be the center of attraction this week when much of his collection goes on the auction block in Los Angeles.

''I`ve enjoyed my coins for 10 years and now it`s time to do other things, such as travel,'' Ebsen said recently. ''I hope the new owners get as much pleasure out of the coins as I have.''

Ebsen`s collection includes dozens of rarities, such as a U.S. $4 gold piece that may be worth $150,000 or more. Ebsen said his interest in the hobby developed ''quite by accident'' after he bought a rare coin for a friend.

''I learned that with rising inflation, coins are a fabulous way to preserve wealth,'' said Ebsen, who played the star detective on ''Barnaby Jones'' and Jed Clampett on ''Beverly Hillbillies.''

''Coins are loaded with history. When you hold something made 600 years before Jesus was born, you think of all the people who touched it over the years. That`s what makes coin collecting an exciting growth experience,'' he said.

Ebsen plans to attend part of the three-day auction, such as Tuesday`s sale of U.S. gold pieces.

Scores of hobbyists are expected to bid on the lots consigned by Ebsen and others, said a spokesman for Superior Stamp and Coin Co. Inc., of Beverly Hills, which is conducting the sale.

Meanwhile, Ebsen is touting the investment potential of foreign and ancient coins because he believes new collectors will shun expensive U.S. rarities. (Superior will sell Ebsen`s foreign and ancient coins at auction during the week of June 7.)

''There are tremendous bargains to be had in those two areas,'' he said.

''I think they will appreciate tremendously in price as U.S. coins did in the middle and late `70s.''

Ebsen advises novices to ''stick with quality coins'' and to ''pick a dealer you respect and other people respect and stick with him.''
    Post edited by Tony M on
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    edited October 2020
    Buddy's auction continued...
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/vq/xdeic8gttho3.gif
    16rr5bx2d9x3.png

"Superior Galleries "The Buddy Ebsen Collection" May 31, June 1, 2, 1987. The sale included 3211 lots that realized a total of $7,669,691.81 (including the 10% buyers fee). The top grossing coin was an 1879 Coiled Hair Stella (lot 2444) which realized $165,000. He had an amazing collection of Gold and Type, both. Most of his silver type coins came with great original toning."

and another;

I remember the sale. He had some killer original roles of CH BU Lincolns and raw lincolns, all pre 1920's, pristine, better dates. From the forward in the catalog, he had just married a lady half his age and had to sell off his coins to support her "habit" for travelling. I'm sure all the money garnered was spent on the first vacation.

• jdjohn
    The oldest Indian Head penny in this bunch is an 1863.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Tony M
    edited October 2020
    I think that 1863 is in that civil war series. They had less minting and I think they weighed more too. B)
    I'm going to check...

yup, it was civil war era but not that special it seems.

well, the minting was average and they were heavier than later ones made after 1864.

too bad your coins' date is 63. an 1877 would've been B) .

I don't think I ever owned a 1877. I'd have to look at a list I had of my indian pennies. I don't know where it is right now... :s. I did have about 25-50 flying eagles that were in great to proof cond. Man I loved that eagle design penny! I know I never owned a 1856 flying eagle.$$$$$ it was out of my budget! :'(

So I was probably missing 2 out of the whole Flying Eagle-Indian head collection. Most were XF too. There was no internet back then to search. Just some numismatic newspapers that came in the mail. OH...and no grading services were in business either. :D
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I did a spell in that realm, but lately not so much. I do have a subscription of the Silver Proof sets from the US mint. I usually end up getting all of the proof variant sets as well.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    edited October 2020
    I ALMOST got on the mint's mail-order program in the 80's. I still have a few mint sets. I like our "57" mint sets. The year of our births. B)

I gave some Silver eagle $1 coins as gifts to some friends kids as gifts in "86" I think it was. Just a few.

I was thinking about buying some gold 1oz. coins a few years ago and wouldn't you know it...the price of gold shot up to almost 2 grand an Oz.. :#

So I sold off some gold jewelry I didn't wear but 3 times a year. I got 2K for it. :p

I've been thinking about the NEW Silver eagle 2021 $1 coins that are supposed to be coming out soon. I'm always curious about design changes!
  • verb
    That's cool Tony! Beginning in 2019 IIRC the proof sets included a special W mint mark penny, for the new refurbished West Point mint. 2020 did the West Point nickel.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    You made me look! They have a West Point silver dollar now! :)
    j8g7utpr6hde.png
  • Tony M
    Weird...This was a co-incidence.

I saw on TV last night, on a Coin Selling Channel, the new design for a 1oz. Gold Coin's new back ( reverse ). And Maybe the $1 silver eagle design too. The Gold was certain, the Silver one not set in "stone" yet. :D I guess it is now... :pB)

That Gold Eagle 1oz. coin design is AWESOME.

ltqd3c9k6lrv.png

Us coin collectors like GOOD new designs. :p

• verb
    verb wrote: »
    You made me look! They have a West Point silver dollar now! :)
    j8g7utpr6hde.png

Yep, ordered one last night! Thanks Tony! :)
  • jdjohn
    Here's the strangest one from my dad's collection. It's an 1857 seated Liberty quarter with obvious flaws on the front, and then a strange re-stamp on the back.
    6af6448ednim.jpg
    vw27f21h7hxj.jpg
    The stamp is Y.U.S. I added the yellow curve to show the Y. My lived in Alabama, so it was probably collected from that area. Any ideas?
  • Tony M
    edited October 2020
    Not much except a bad planchet for the front.

I'm going to go look at that quarter series now.

Looks very much like this "Love Token" which I have -0- knowledge of them.
    I just searched the web and some example pics came up for your date.
    Notice the front has similar bad areas on the left and right areas like yours. Interesting! ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352786524655
    4sac0arm5j4u.png

mnuog6c8b7pg.png

• jdjohn
    edited October 2020
    Seated Liberty came in other denominations as well, such as 'half-dime', dime, half-dollar, and dollar, with an eagle on the back. Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know ;)
  • jdjohn
    Tony M wrote: »
    Not much except a bad planchet for the front.

I'm going to go look at that quarter series now.

Looks very much like this "Love Token" which I have -0- knowledge of them.
    I just searched the web and some example pics came up for your date.
    Notice the front has similar bad areas on the left and right areas like yours. Interesting! ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352786524655
    4sac0arm5j4u.png

mnuog6c8b7pg.png
    Nice Tony, thanks!
  • jdjohn
    edited October 2020
    Okay, so "Love Tokens" are/were a thing: https://www.kenbarr.com/lovetokens.html
    And it looks like those bad areas on the front were originally used to attach pins.
    h0g3deoquvfc.jpg
  • Tony M