Planning trip to the Grand Canyon

So our Alaskan cruise was of course cancelled this year and I doubt we'll be going next year either. We need to use our airline tix by end of 2021 or lose the $$. The Grand Canyon is on our list pf places to visit. From those that have been there, what advice do you have for a week's visit there? Anything you would or would not do again there?

Also would like to see a hot air balloon festival w/o spending a whole day driving to see one.
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,022
    Once, at band camp on the south rim, there was only one small cloud in the sky. It was far off in the horizon. Then I realized the dark patch I'd noticed still in the canyon was from that distant cloud. Looking into the GC it's hard to realize just how large it is even when you know the measurements/distance.
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,961
    I made a promise to myself to visit the GC after seeing it from 30k ft once....even more stoked now after reading all of this. Might be a challenge to convince my sister about spending time traveling in a car. I'll have to find some You Tube videos to convince her it's worth it.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Bob,
    My dad and I took a 21-day bucket list trip to Alaska. His first original itinerary was a long list. Once we got settled in at our first stop, (a cabin on the Kenai) we poured a couple fingers of bourbon and chatted. I convinced him that it would probably be best to cut the list in half or more, that there was no way we could "enjoy" the trip as much, as Alaska was to damn big.

It was very enjoyable spending 2-4 days semi-unscheduled. Some places we added an extra day others we shortened or cancelled.

We did return to hit a couple spots a little over a year later that we thought we might have regrets not seeing. Nonetheless, we had no regrets slowing down.

You and your sister enjoy---
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,022
    muncybob wrote: »
    I'll have to find some You Tube videos to convince her it's worth it.

I've seen one highly compressed video of the drive from Vegas to GC. Hours in minutes. That would be a good taste.

For me, the terrain seems desolate and boring at first. After 2-3 hours I begin to notice more of the little things - unusual rock formations, subtleties of color, less common plants and such. Especially in bloom, the desert is far more beautiful than I expected. More colorful and more frequent blooms than I ever thought.
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Love the Grand Canyon! Many years ago I proposed to the now Mrs at the southern rim. I'm glad she accepted!

We did the Skywalk a few years ago during one of our annual trips to Vegas. We took a helicopter trip to the Skywalk, which was awesome as if flies fairly low along the valley.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • muncybob
    This past weekend sis and hubby came for the weekend. The canyon trip was a topic of discussion. We are uncertain on the date for the trip though. BIL wants to go right after Labor Day to minimize crowds. That may not work for us, so he said August would do. I'm not a fan of really hot weather(although I know it probably won't be as humid as it gets here). Early summer/late spring might be too soon with Covid crap.

Is August too hot for the more southern areas mentioned here?
  • . As a brief safety tip, it might be best not to share driving with the Mrs. when visiting the Grand Canyon.

zi8dbj8p36vb.jpg

We now continue with your regularly scheduled, actually useful thread.
    .🇺🇸
    Sal Palooza
  • muncybob
    Yep Rick, I did a 2 night hike trail up there back in my backpacking days. Nice area for sure.
  • txcoastal1
    August is the rainy season...

This link may help

https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/nature/weather.htm
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    The monsoon season is badass so long as you can sit there and watch. Don't try to travel though.
  • muncybob
    Would consider late spring/early summer if Covid "under control", maybe best to go late Sept.
  • txcoastal1
    Arizona, New Mexico and even Nevada...

Doesn't rain often but when it does it has the potential to pour in buckets.

At my deer lease near the border and Del Rio, I have seen rain come down up to 15" in a day.

• muncybob
    15" in a day....as Phil Rizzuto use to say....HOLY COW!
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,893
    ☔️ Hope that Beatified Bovine can swim! ☔️
    Alea jacta est!
  • txcoastal1
    Not much cattle in that area, mostly sheep and goats, and nope...they don't swim well and drown.

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    In Mid-November 2018, I did a week long trip out that way. Flew into Vegas on a Saturday and took off in my rental SUV to Zion National Park in UT. Spent 2 nights there and took off to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Made many stops along the way for photography, food and gas. Got to the South Rim and stayed 2 nights. Got up that first morning before sunrise and went to one of the more popular lookouts to setup the camera for sunrise. Was really cold! About 10 degrees in town, but lower at the Canyon with well below zero wind chills. Was absolutely worth being there for that! Went back to the hotel for breakfast, then back to the Canyon for several hours of photography. Took off and went back to Vegas for 3 nights.

One of the very best vacations I ever had!

During my hike inside Zion National Park
    8hocnfc5mkhl.jpg

Stopped on the side of the road somewhere in Arizona during my trek from ZNP to Grand Canyon. No clue where in AZ I was, just somewhere in the northeast corner.
    43b9k4buz6wy.jpg

No excuses!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Not much cattle in that area, mostly sheep and goats, and nope...they don't swim well and drown.

Good eats and marinated too!
  • muncybob
    For those that have been to both the north & south rim....we are trying to see as many places as possible while not being too rushed. May have to eliminate a place or 2 from our list. If after spending 2 days at the south rim is the north one still a must do?
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    steveinaz wrote: »
    RESPECT the Canyon. 9 people every year, fall to their death in Grand Canyon.

^^This^^
    Was going to mention that as well. Don't let anyone get too creative with a selfie.

Enjoy!
  • . As a brief safety tip, it might be best not to share driving with the Mrs. when visiting the Grand Canyon.

zi8dbj8p36vb.jpg

We now continue with your regularly scheduled, actually useful thread.
    .🇺🇸

The above scene from the movie "Thelma and Louise" was filmed in Canyonlands National Park. A couple of months ago I took this photo of my Jeep parked near the edge of the cliff where that was filmed. Beautiful country, but you can get yourself in a little trouble if you don't pay attention to where you are driving! :#28v7zhb41xbt.jpg
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    If you have time, you might wanna consider adding a rafting trip. We did this 8-day motorized trip, but they offer tons of options. Fantastic time - well organized, good food (byob), fun rapids, day hikes every day, amazing camping on the river. Learned so much history and geology from the experienced, well educated guides. We all read a book about the river, "The Emerald Mile," before going which very much added to the enjoyment of the trip.

Our group of 12 went Vegas>Zion>Page>river>ranch>Vegas over ~15 days. Here are links to pics of the three areas. You'll have to skim through the pics of the fam/group and there are none of the rapids, but it'll give you a sense of what it's like. Highly recommended!

Zion
    Grand Canyon
    Valley of Fire
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Craig, that looks like an incredible adventure, and I'm sure it was more fun with all the people. I like the pictures with the people!!!

Certainly has to be more fun than putting a "group-buy" of Dreadnoughts together.

Thanks for sharing.
    Harry Jones
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • muncybob
    Yes, thanks for sharing the pics! Zion looks like a place we want to visit but I've read it is very crowded most days. Your pics don't look like it was that bad?
    Meeting with sis and hubby in 2 weeks to establish exact dates and some sort of itinerary. Then line up airline seats and lodging reservations.

Have started a list of things to be sure to take. Started with wide brimmed hat & sun screen(I'm high risk for skin cancer), fanny pack, collapsable cooler, flask & water bottle.