Gonna buy Some SDA-2B

13»

Comments

• Hi everyone, I have a chance to pick up a Outlaw 975 Pre Pro and two Outlaw M2200 monoblocks for $500. Would they work with my SDA-2B? Not sure if they are common ground.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Mono block amps are not common ground.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thanks, I'll pass on those then.
  • F1nut wrote: »
    Mono block amps are not common ground.

I Emailed outlaw, told them "ill be using two outlaw M2200 and a Outlaw 975 PrePro with Polk SDA-2B which need a common ground Amp, is the M2200 a common ground amp?" Outlaw tech said yes.

Did I ask the right question? maybe they didn't understand me? I agree with F1nut that monoblocks are not common ground, not sure why Outlaw would say other.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Impossible for amps in separate chassis to be common ground. However, depending on the amp design, it may be possible to strap their negative outputs together to effectively make them common ground.
  • So the Outlaw Tech said, " Its common ground to its own chassis"
  • Now the outlaw tech said, " I think it is irrelevant for your speakers. Using monoblocks for your speakers, each amp Is separate. So it wouldn't matter from speaker to speaker. This is only relevant for a single multi-channel amp"

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Don't listen to the tech. SDA's need common ground, amps are not common ground...the only thing as mentioned above "can the grounds from each amp be strapped together"
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    They don't know what they're talking about. You can use mono blocks if you get the AI-1 or Dreadnought though.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • vader540is
    vader540is Posts: 177
    edited October 2020
    Nightfall wrote: »
    They don't know what they're talking about. You can use mono blocks if you get the AI-1 or Dreadnought though.

AI-1 or Dreadnought sounds like ill have to look for those... off to ebay I go...

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited October 2020
    AI-1 was a Polk made cable that allows you to use non common ground amps. They pop up on eBay and this forum from time to time but aren't super common.

Dreadnought you have to build yourself and is essentially an upgraded AI-1. Very unlikely you'll find one on eBay.

You can search the forum for info on building a Dreadnought if you're interested.

afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • thanks! or i can just buy a Amp that has a common ground...

IMO for $500 the PrePro and two M2200 is a great deal... that 200 WPC. the Dreadnought is about $400-$500 IIRC.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    You could contact the mfg of the monoblocks and ask them about strapping the grounds together, as was suggested previously by DaveHo.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • You could contact the mfg of the monoblocks and ask them about strapping the grounds together, as was suggested previously by DaveHo.

So I would get two M2200, and use them with a outlaw 975 PrePro.

https://outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

would i be able to strap the grounds together? im buying them used.

• F1nut
    It's unlikely that you would be able to strap the grounds of mono block amps and I sure as heck would not ask Outlaw because they have no idea of what they are talking about.

BTW, there's far more important factors to an amplifier(s) than the wpc.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »
    It's unlikely that you would be able to strap the grounds of mono block amps and I sure as heck would not ask Outlaw because they have no idea of what they are talking about.

BTW, there's far more important factors to an amplifier(s) than the wpc.

You are correct. I just thought that the two M2200 would do a better job than my old crappy Sony AVR.

back to the drawing board for me, on which common ground Amp to get around $500.
  • Nightfall wrote: »

looks like someone beat me to it...

I found a Adcom GTP-500 & Adcom GFA-555 locally here for $300
  • Navy_Goat
    Navy_Goat Posts: 375
    If they are working that is a great price.
    SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200
  • Navy_Goat wrote: »
    If they are working that is a great price.

The seller says they are. How can I ensure that? would I have have to take off the case and check for swelling Caps?
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    The GFA-555 is not a model with the leaky cap issue that plagued the 565 & 585. Though at this point they are pretty long in the tooth, but may still be OK. That said, if possible I'd check DC offset before committing to buy. Anything less than 50mV is OK. The lower the better. My 555 is all original & still has offsets of less than 30mV and sounds just fine.
  • DaveHo wrote: »
    The GFA-555 is not a model with the leaky cap issue that plagued the 565 & 585. Though at this point they are pretty long in the tooth, but may still be OK. That said, if possible I'd check DC offset before committing to buy. Anything less than 50mV is OK. The lower the better. My 555 is all original & still has offsets of less than 30mV and sounds just fine.

Awesome, thank you, Sorry I'm a noob, how would I do that? I have a multimeter.
  • nvm i just googled it and found out how.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    vader540is wrote: »

First buyer backed out, I sent you a pm.

Danny
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    2B’s were my first purchase fresh out of school in 1987. Mine now have all the upgrades, including spikes, and are still my favorites. I’ll take these to a nursing home with me when the time comes if they let me.

I really enjoyed these with a Carver amp for years. Not much Carver love here but I personally liked the synergy for my musical taste. Especially bands like INXS and Fleetwood Mac. Good M-1.0t’s can be found on the ‘bay and easily resold. One thing I’ve learned on this site is to experiment. The Adcom units mentioned here and Parasound amps work very well with the 2B’s and I’m now a major Parasound customer myself.

Only your ears can judge how a system performs in your unique listening environment. The 2B’s also respond well to different cables so mix and match in this area as well. You can’t go wrong with many of the MIT options.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• RobbyKY wrote: »
    2B’s were my first purchase fresh out of school in 1987. Mine now have all the upgrades, including spikes, and are still my favorites. I’ll take these to a nursing home with me when the time comes if they let me.

I really enjoyed these with a Carver amp for years. Not much Carver love here but I personally liked the synergy for my musical taste. Especially bands like INXS and Fleetwood Mac. Good M-1.0t’s can be found on the ‘bay and easily resold. One thing I’ve learned on this site is to experiment. The Adcom units mentioned here and Parasound amps work very well with the 2B’s and I’m now a major Parasound customer myself.

Only your ears can judge how a system performs in your unique listening environment. The 2B’s also respond well to different cables so mix and match in this area as well. You can’t go wrong with many of the MIT options.

wow what a awesome story!! all the music you listed are some of my favs! one of these days ill upgrade my 2b, so far all I have done is glue the magnets to prevent the shift.

I will upgrade to hurricane nuts, dynamat, TL mod & new gaskets.
  • Gerres26 wrote: »
    vader540is wrote: »

First buyer backed out, I sent you a pm.

Danny

crap i just bought a adcom last night :-(
  • F1nut
    Yes

President of Club Polk