Last audio component for the year: stick a fork in me, I’m done.

Options
124»

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    @Joey_V

This could help get you through the rest of the year, since you still need a few more items.

g53tlrgqso52.jpeg
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    I had my wife listen to digital vs vinyl the other night.

We flipped a few times through Crazy Rich Asians soundtrack, the Elvis cover.

She agreed vinyl was better.

But her other comments:

1. I don’t understand your hobby.

2. Are we comparing equal sources? Like are they both the same cost? (This was tricky because one misstep by me and I would divulge the total cost of my components and that would be bad for me.)

3. Exactly how much is that turntable? (My answer: it was enough.). What do you mean enough? You never say “enough”? Is this expensive?

4. How much is your CD player?

5. And you said the rack wasn’t expensive, but why did you have to pay movers $400 to move it if it didn’t cost more than that?

6. Why don’t we have a TV in this room?

7. Why do you only have one chair here?

8. Why are you looking at a new chair - the Eames Chair? That’s still one chair.

9. No we cannot put the theater room in the gameroom because the acoustics are not good. We should put a TV or projector here.

Basically too many questions were raised. Never bring the wife to the mancave.

Never ever do that. It only leads to a river of questions. 🤦🏻‍♂️
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Joey, your wife sounds like a very smart woman. They are never going to find your body.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    I think that the OP in this thread oughta take a road trip to Oswalds Mill Audio.
    https://oswaldsmillaudio.com/

da1wy2rdw7uo.png

bwahahahahahahahhhaaaaaaa...

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Haha, what a drama this read was. I think it's only a matter of time before you're in the dog house. I suggest you go ahead and set up the doghouse in that room now.
    Joey_V wrote: »
    2. Are we comparing equal sources? Like are they both the same cost?
    Don't let her know what records cost. Assuming you already have an insurance policy on your gear, but once your record collection crosses a certain point, you probably want an extra policy on that too.
    5. And you said the rack wasn’t expensive, but why did you have to pay movers $400 to move it if it didn’t cost more than that?
    Oh, you are going to be in big trouble, haha.
    6. Why don’t we have a TV in this room?
    7. Why do you only have one chair here?
    Put a few more chairs in there on sliders. That's what we're doing to make it a multifunctional room. I think we'll eventually have 4 or 5 chair that live in the room, all on sliders. When the room is "put up" all the chairs are pushed against the wall. But this way we can bring in an air mattress if we need an extra guest space, or we can bring in a table or games, crafts, etc. We haven't used it for anything else, but having the option to use it for other stuff has really helped keep the peace. It's also nice when people come over and we can quickly configure the room for more people to hang out and listen. But the majority of the time it's my main chair out floating in the room on it's own.
    9. No we cannot put the theater room in the gameroom because the acoustics are not good. We should put a TV or projector here.
    Projector isn't a bad option honestly. Doesn't phase acoustics, stays out of the way, could give you some extra enjoyment out of the system. Seems like a decent compromise. And if you do the multiple floating chairs, it can still remain your main listening space.

Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    I think this is the funniest one:
    Bro, if she ever starts Googling the make/model of your gear, we may never hear from you again.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Joey_V
    Options
    She’s too smart.

Pharmacists... detail oriented folks.

🤦🏻‍♂️
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Joey, honesty is the best policy. I can sneak you into Mexico for a reasonable price.
  • jumpindick
    Options

Basically too many questions were raised. Never bring the wife to the mancave.

Never ever do that. It only leads to a river of questions. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I agree :D That is called inviting trouble all over. One of the reasons I have not "taught" my wife on how to use the stereo system (turn it on and stream). Too many questions take painful turn in this journey of audio.

Bye the way, congratulations on your recent acquisitions. They are some really nice looking gears.
  • jdjohn
    Options

We flipped a few times through Crazy Rich Asians soundtrack, the Elvis cover.

She agreed vinyl was better.
    She probably has a good (and quick) ear like many wives. But you (and she) will find that 'better' depends ultimately on the pressing/recording/mastering...all other things considered equal. Many times, it is the original quality of the vinyl media itself that can make analog sound better, or not. Then chasing a 'better copy' becomes the quest.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • jdjohn
    Options
    4. I build up static on the table, the platter mat sticks to my uncleaned brand new records!
    Whatever you decide upon for record cleaning, you should seriously consider adding a quat to your liquid cleaning solution in order to help with static. Building upon your education in chemistry, consider this from a thread on Vinyl Engine:

The natural charge of vinyl records (and many other surfaces) can be countered with cationic detergents, which is what the quats are and which is why they are used as antistats in a variety of applications (hair conditioners, fabric softeners, static guard sprays, etc). [...] Adding a cationic surfactant (like a quat) to a non-ionic is beneficial, and is recommended, since it can help solubilize certain components and aid in controlling static and microbial growth. - the author, 'vince1', is at the PhD level in chemistry, with contributions towards commercial solutions, as well as non-profit vinyl conservation efforts.

Hepastat256 is a preferred quat to add to liquid record cleaning solutions. I have a lifetime supply of it, so PM me if you would like 50ml or so.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    She’s too smart.

Pharmacists... detail oriented folks.

🤦🏻‍♂️

and can count grains of freeking sand faster than mere mortals can count their fingers...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    I don't know John, I can count my fingers pretty fast when I'm doing rudimentary math problems.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Sounds about right haha
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Never tried this before but it sounds like a good idea to reduce/eliminate static:

YUCHENGTECH Ionizing Air Blower ESD Fan Electro Discharge Static Eliminator DC Anti-Static Ionizer 110V - 120V
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Joey_V
    edited October 2020
    Options
    My friend took delivery of the AMG Forte... dang there is a thing such as table envy!

What a precision machine!

AMG
  • displayname
    Options
    My friend took delivery of the AMG Forte... dang there is a thing such as table envy!

AMG
    I'm not 100%, but I think you might be able to get the AMD 12JT Turbo arm and their reference tonearm cables onto your Avenger. It might get you closer to the sound than you'd think.
    Discogs
  • Joey_V
    Options

AMG
    I'm not 100%, but I think you might be able to get the AMD 12JT Turbo arm and their reference tonearm cables onto your Avenger. It might get you closer to the sound than you'd think.

I believe you are correct on that. VPI says I can mount nearly any arm onto one of the 2 remaining posts.

The platter on the AMG doesn’t stop spinning... the bearing must have absolutely no friction. It is impressively built.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    We measured.

90 seconds for amg forte to stop spinning.

Avenger non ref w belt, 4 seconds.

Avenger ref w rim drive, 35 seconds.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited October 2020
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    jinssb7b4b9s.gif
    Dolla Bill's Joey it's just Dolla Bill's, you did good.

C.R.E.A.M.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • displayname
    Options
    We measured.

90 seconds for amg forte to stop spinning.

Avenger non ref w belt, 4 seconds.

Avenger ref w rim drive, 35 seconds.
    Well at least your Avenger should help with the trade in when you're ready to get the AMG. I'd be curious to hear about sound differences between the two though.
    Discogs