New car audio build.

seabeerob213
seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
edited September 2020 in Car Audio & Electronics
Had my "new" car for a little while now, and most of my parts have come in, so I've made some progress I stalling everything. Doing all new components front and rear, because I'm selling this car before I leave, and 4 working speakers is a better selling point than a good sounding 2 channel, and volume is a bit of the goal too, as 2 10s on 1950 rms is a lot of sub for 2 6.5s on 125 rms. Running alpine type gs in the doors, alpine type rs in a ported box, and an alpine ilx w650 for my head unit. Running nvx 16 awg silver tinned ofc speaker wires to the doors, to an NVX jad800.4 4 channel amp, and 8awg silver tinned ofc to the subs, from an NVX vad2700.1. the box isn't the greatest, the subs were bought with a box, and amp for about 2 bills on fb marketplace a coupe years ago. I rewired the box, 2ohm dvc subs, wired with the same 8awg, to a 2 ohm final impedance. Terminal cup sucked, but the hole is already there, so I put some bondo in to add some mass and stiffness, and cut out the spring terminals and replaced the with some copper cardas binding posts. Some wood glue and a couple deck screws fixed the rattley board in the port, and a bit of accoustic mat helps. Big 3 upgraded with 1 ought knu konceptz ofc for the power, and NVX silver tinned 1 ought for grounds. Should have enough of both to run to the trunk, so whichever one fits better will probably be what I run. Got the front speaks installed and big 3 done, with the head unit installed.
2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA

Comments

• 2eph7j0j7i54.jpg
    xc5rh6dqn1qy.jpg
    rejvz2qx86w3.jpg
    t1w12cpo8asg.jpg
    0qbxgralq9tk.jpg
    3qmtmmu3civ6.jpg
    mjcev10uqdaf.jpg
    q3v3111byceu.jpg
    im4ujz2zp4it.jpg
    utqcqdfuojpc.jpg
    490fx69b4dqh.jpg
    brfofxof5a5n.jpg
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • Amps are not wired yet, they're sitting behind my couch. I can't tell y'all how it sounds yet, sorry.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Nice work! Very neat and tidy wiring on the door. What kind of vehicle is it?
  • Clipdat wrote: »
    Nice work! Very neat and tidy wiring on the door. What kind of vehicle is it?

Thanks man, it's a 2005 mk2 ford focus 5 door hatch. It's euro specs, and they got the second gen well before the US.
  • Clipdat
    Cool man, looking forward to some pics of the HU and sub box.
  • Clipdat wrote: »

The box will probably disappoint, I know almost nothing about it other than what ive done. But I'll do my best to get some pics. In my last car, I had it sounding fairly decent for not having any calibration tools.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Great thread! Looking forward to progression.
  • Me too, mechanic taking his sweet ****$ time with the car, so it's been weeks since I touched it.
  • seabeerob213
    s42oeb8qbzv5.jpg
    k9wyd9qz9u9h.jpg
    05ek7yuu8t6x.jpg
    Sorry for the mess, it's cleaned up now,
  • seabeerob213
    She's in and done for now, gonna add rears soon.
  • Clipdat
    Wow, massive box! That thing is gonna slam.
  • joecoulson
    Yeah no doubt in that small hatch. 130db+ I’m sure.
  • seabeerob213
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Yeah no doubt in that small hatch. 130db+ I’m sure.

Not enough to blow the hair on my head around, but enough that my arm hair and the hair on the back of my neck will stand up.

Also have a gately audio flat pack box for a 15 coming, and if it fits, I'll have a 15 inch DDaudio redline 800 series in there. Although my trunk is till half way useable now, if I put that in there I lose the trunk entirely.
  • seabeerob213
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Wow, massive box! That thing is gonna slam.

Like WWE Monday night raw
  • seabeerob213
    Clipdat wrote: »

105e3dien2ht.jpg
    hisx1nnoqtro.jpg
    0hx8gk3zfpme.jpg

Here's the 10s in their box outside the car. Here's the 15 inch box sans sub. It's in the car now, sub bolted in with deck screws. Gonna paint the box with bedliner and mount the sub with threaded inserts. Got some more tuning and listening to do, but already, there's more bass, less punch, and a bit deeper sounding and feeling in the low end. I did dynamat the inside of the front baffle, and the wall directly behind the driver. Speaker gasket used. All I terminal wiring is silver tinned 8awg wire, and speaker cable is the same.
  • joecoulson
    Coming along nicely
  • seabeerob213
    Who needs trunk space

dq4ok4e4o9jg.jpg
    nz5hhubza015.jpg
  • seabeerob213
    Now I need more battery or more alternator, interior lights dim when cranked.
  • joecoulson
    Yeah. Get a Yellow top Optima and maybe a 1 Farad cap
  • seabeerob213
    I've got the biggest yellow top I could find, and full 1/0 big 3.
  • joecoulson
    Lol! Yeah new alt then.
  • Does it just dim your lights at idle? You could maybe change the alternator pulley diameter to get more juice at lower rpm...
  • seabeerob213
    Does it just dim your lights at idle? You could maybe change the alternator pulley diameter to get more juice at lower rpm...

May try that, haven't checked with the engine revved up, and only notice it with cabin lights currently.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    Those Type R subs are awesome! One of my faves. Looking good man.
  • seabeerob213
    The type r are in a closet now with the DD in the car 🤣. Love the type r, they're staying with me and probably replacing my polk 12 in my car back home.
  • fish357
    fish357 Posts: 304
    edited November 2020
    Nice work, looks good. You may have a Hitachi 80 amp alternator in there, maybe a 70.
    I’d definitely be looking for something bigger, at least 110/120 amp. HOWEVER, before you move up in amperage, make sure your cars ECU won’t try to do some weird voltage regulating. I’m not really familiar with the euro stuff, I think I read somewhere the euro versions may have voltage regulators built into the alternator. That could be a thing to check for also.
    Call a Ford dealership and give them your VIN, they should be able to steer you in the right direction.
    Car audio is fun, your work is pretty solid looking.
    Question- Out of curiosity, did you mat the inside of the exterior door skins?
  • fish357 wrote: »
    Nice work, looks good. You may have a Hitachi 80 amp alternator in there, maybe a 70.
    I’d definitely be looking for something bigger, at least 110/120 amp. HOWEVER, before you move up in amperage, make sure your cars ECU won’t try to do some weird voltage regulating. I’m not really familiar with the euro stuff, I think I read somewhere the euro versions may have voltage regulators built into the alternator. That could be a thing to check for also.
    Call a Ford dealership and give them your VIN, they should be able to steer you in the right direction.
    Car audio is fun, your work is pretty solid looking.
    Question- Out of curiosity, did you mat the inside of the exterior door skins?

Thanks, I just stuck random small scraps in as far as I could reach, when I get me panel clips I may stick more inside since I'll have the panels off. I have an NVX 10 farad Cap I'm gonna try, won't solve the issues, but if I can get a good power buffer to keep it from dipping too bad, I should be ok. I do t crank it up full bass and full volume often or for long, and I have no issues at my normal listening levels. After having it loud for a while, it does seem muddied, like the power has gone away a bit. Were full quarantine here so going out to find an alt will have to wait a while.
  • Also, the type gs do sound a bit, um, sterile? Not all that warm, but not harsh, not bright, but can be a little screechy at times. They do distort a little at higher volumes, so I do have more tuning to do. I also need to listen over USB to get it fine tuned, I often just use the Bluetooth and I know it's the weakest point in my setup, but class d amplification on mids and highs isn't doing me much favors. Maybe if it were higher end, but it's a pretty entry level amp.
  • joecoulson
    Also, break in might be a factor here.