SDA SRS 2.3tl

13»

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Although in my current situation I wouldn't mind more good tight lower end. My room just sucks out the bass.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    So are you connected to high pass or full range in back? Have you tried bypass? If all else turn up the bass to the desired output.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Navy_Goat
    Navy_Goat Posts: 375
    I am using the main full range output. I have tried the bypass button but I have it adjusted flat +/- 0 on both treble and bass so it doesn't make any discernible difference. I will knock out the crossover refresh over the next few months and see how things stand after that.
    SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    Don't upgrade your cables just yet. I agree they could help, but nowhere near what you will get by stepping up your amp/preamp/source first.

John is 100% correct. Put the $ into mods and a top notch Pre and amp. He recommended I get the Pass Labs X1 and I have never regretted that purchase. Enjoy the new speakers!
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Congratulations on your 2.3 tls enjoy them. I own a pair and have had them hooked up to two different Adcom amps and a Parasound amp with a Vincent preamp and I'm very happy with them. Once again enjoy them.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    dpowell wrote: »
    Don't upgrade your cables just yet. I agree they could help, but nowhere near what you will get by stepping up your amp/preamp/source first.

John is 100% correct. Put the $ into mods and a top notch Pre and amp. He recommended I get the Pass Labs X1 and I have never regretted that purchase. Enjoy the new speakers!

Why is it your old gear list looks like my old setup? o:):p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    dpowell wrote: »

Why is it your old gear list looks like my old setup? o:):p

Well it sure doesnt look like your current gear list! Theres one reason for that, $$$$ :wink:
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • Navy_Goat
    Time to start upgrading these 2.3s.

Purchased the following:

GIMPOD Boards
    Sonicap gen I to replace all caps
    2 Gen I Sonicap 5.8 uF 200VDC
    2 Gen I Sonicap 8 uF 200VDC
    2 Gen I Sonicap 16 uF 200VDC
    2 Gen I Sonicap 18 uF 200VDC
    2 Gen I Sonicap 27 uF 200VDC
    2 0.50 Ohm Vishay Mills MRA-12
    4 22.5 Ohm Vishay Mills MRA-12
    New connectors from Mouser
    Sonic Barrier 3/4" 3-Layer Acoustic Sound Damping Material
    #8-32 Hurricane Nuts
    Black-Oxide Alloy Steel Socket Head Screw 8-32 Thread Size, 7/8" Long
    Dynamat

I did opt for the precision matching from Sonic Craft. I have some hardware left over from the 2Bs that I did last year so I didn't need the full compliment of Hnuts or screws as I already have some on hand.

I hope to get most of the soldering done next weekend. I may knock out some of the hardware install once things arrive over the next week.

I opted to wait on the tweeters, for now. I really find the SL3000 tweeters to sound pretty good. No doubt I will end up upgrading to the RD0198 at some point, but I figure this way I will get to experience and appreciate the improvement they provide independently form the XO refresh.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited October 2020
    I opted to wait on the tweeters, for now. I really find the SL3000 tweeters to sound pretty good. No doubt I will end up upgrading to the RD0198 at some point, but I figure this way I will get to experience and appreciate the improvement they provide independently form the XO refresh.
    Same path I took. I really liked the SL3000 tweeters myself but let me tell you, if you are like me you'll want kick yourself for waiting so long
    😉
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    I'd go with the 1 1/4" Sonic Barrier Calvin
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Navy_Goat
    Polk is no longer stocking them and has given them to Midwest Speaker Repair. No telling how long it will be now before there are no more... My advice is to get them now or cry about it later.
    You are probably right. I should order them now even if I don't plan to put them in immediately. Better safe than sorry.
    I'd go with the 1 1/4" Sonic Barrier
    What do you think the difference would be (other than 1/2" of thickness)? The 3/8" stuff already shipped so it is on the way. I'm sure I will be able to use it for other projects in the future if I do order the thicker stuff.

• nooshinjohn
    edited October 2020
    Navy_Goat wrote: »
    Polk is no longer stocking them and has given them to Midwest Speaker Repair. No telling how long it will be now before there are no more... My advice is to get them now or cry about it later.
    You are probably right. I should order them now even if I don't plan to put them in immediately. Better safe than sorry.

Marines are ALWAYS right! :p:p:p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Navy_Goat
    Marines are ALWAYS right! :p:p:p
    Marines are always extra special, thats for sure....JK , love my Marine brothers and sisters out there.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Looks great Caleb!
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    You're in for a treat! :)
  • Navy_Goat
    Finished up a few hours ago. I look forward to hearing the improvements over then next weeks.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Nicely done! Now if someone can convince you into a good tube pre...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    Finished up a few hours ago. I look forward to hearing the improvements over then next weeks.

Just wait until you install the RD0’s

• Navy_Goat
    edited October 2020
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Nicely done! Now if someone can convince you into a good tube pre...

I'm sure it would be a huge jump forward for stereo sound. Next up will either be this or building a dreadnaught.

A few things are stopping me from picking up a pre:
    1. I really enjoy HEOS to stream Amazon HD and with the CD player/streamer in the other system I am committed at this point.
    2. The living room system is currently 3 channel (center with no rear). I was not happy with a pure stereo for watching TV.
    3. Cost. I would be replacing the HT and pre (with bypass).

It just seems to me that unless I am willing to put at least 2K toward this upgrade I may not see any improvement.

Curious to know what you think?
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Get the RD0-198’s. They sound noticeably better and and image a little better as well. Another upgrade to consider is a beefier inductor for the bass. Following Darqueknight’s lead I installed the Solen 10 awg - cleaner, clearer bass with more slam.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Navy_Goat
    drumminman wrote: »
    Get the RD0-198’s. They sound noticeably better and and image a little better as well. Another upgrade to consider is a beefier inductor for the bass. Following Darqueknight’s lead I installed the Solen 10 awg - cleaner, clearer bass with more slam.
    The 198's are definitely part of the plan. I also pulled the Erse Super Q inductors from my 1C and installed them a few weeks ago. I had those sent to @westmassguy to be properly modified. I don't feel like I am suffering from a lack of bass at all. Even with the SVS turned off there is plenty of low end.

I would be interested in the difference the Solen may make. Do you have a link to oint me in the right direction?
  • Navy_Goat
    edited October 2020
    For some reason I keep forgetting to mention I also added spikes a week or so ago. I picked up a set of 8 footers (spiked version) from Tekton Designs. 20 bucks plus shipping. They are a simple design, but seem to work just fine.

https://tektondesign.com/footers.html

I am not sure that the sliders that my 2.3's came with are the what was originally provided by Polk, but now that they are in place for good I wanted to add spikes.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    I would be interested in the difference the Solen may make. Do you have a link to oint me in the right direction?

https://solen.ca/products/inductors/standard-inductors-10awg-2-59mm/s1016-0/
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/123728/review-of-new-solen-inductors-in-2-3tls
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬