Another power cable thread

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I've never had much success with power cables if I'm honest. I tried some Pangea from my friend

Were they still plugged into a generic power strip? That could have been the issue, honestly not sure.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Clipdat wrote: »
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I've never had much success with power cables if I'm honest. I tried some Pangea from my friend

Were they still plugged into a generic power strip? That could have been the issue, honestly not sure.
    We... actually didn't think about that. Some time we will have to try again and switch off as many noise-producing things as possible. I definitely have noticed that kind of thing (someone turning on the downstairs fan, refrigerator kicking in, my dads air compressor, etc.)

On second thought though, I can't (AKA, don't want to) afford a power conditioner or power cables. other things are more important right now. So maybe it isn't better that I don't know what I don't know. ;) (And that isn't an attempt to get anyone to give anything to me, I appreciate the thought but don't need it, if I want one I can buy it myself. :) )

Happy listening, -Micah
  • Clipdat
    My new power cables arrived, two 2m Audioquest Tornado HC and one 2m Tornado Source.

I started by putting the first HC cable between the wall and my Audioquest Niagara 1200 power conditioner. My idea is to add them in one by one and listen for changes.

ypfpa4dqrfe0.jpg
    dj3vf83exgsb.jpg
    tfpjfrns0jks.jpg
    bfk68uwexak4.jpg

Size comparison next to an iPad Mini and a generic 14ga power cord:
    y9nhvqsjseet.jpg

• Clipdat
    First impression was that I could definitely hear a difference having this cable connected to the Niagara vs the generic 14ga cord that was there previously.

However, nothing was "wowing" me or smacking me in the face.

It did seem like there was more "motion" to the sound, and that the presentation was more organic in general.

There was good layering and soundstage width, attributes that I didn't hear with the generic cord. Soundstage depth still seemed fairly shallow. Interestingly, there was no treble harshness when I turned up the volume, like how there was when I had the generic power cable connected.

As I listened more, it seemed like certain frequencies seemed unnaturally accented and the bass seemed somewhat anemic. Perhaps this is a result of the cable needing time to break/settle in. (A topic which could be it's own thread...)

In summary, the enjoyment level was increased and the sound quality improved, but nothing mind blowing or extraordinary.

Again, perhaps I'm rushing into too "harsh" of a judgement after just one evening of listening with a brand new power cable connected, but take it for what it is, just casual immediate observations.

Tomorrow I will hook up the second HC cable to the Norma IPA-140 and listen again.
  • Clipdat
    edited October 2020
    I forgot to mention that these Tornado HC cables are extremely stiff and difficult to work with. They are just super rigid and do not want to bend the way that you want them to. You have to actually bend and shape them to the approximate routing of how you're going to place them, before you actually install them.

So, if you are easily intimidated by a rigid and stiff...cable...then I wouldn't recommend these.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Great read and comments along the way! I
    Am happy with my Niagara 1200 and plan on one more soon! So soon I also purchased the Monsoon! Is that soon enough ??🎶🎵🎼🎩
    Yes they make some stiffies at AQ and even create some from what I’ve been hearing😯
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    edited October 2020
    Those cables look scary. You’re right, they are stiff from what I read, I’m running 1m cords, I might need to buy extra length for ease of turning around corners.

I would love to test out hurricanes or dragons against my wel power cords some day.

Also, I’ve been toying on making the boulder cord be “hurricaned” ala Michael fremer on his review of the boulder 2160
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Clipdat
    I listened to the system tonight with the second Tornado HC on the Norma IPA-140. Auralic Vega G1 still had a generic 18ga cord on it.

Again, like yesterday, nothing was "wowing" me or dropping my jaw.

A few of the deficiencies I noticed yesterday were corrected, such as the anemic bass. The bass energy seemed like it was back to the usual levels it was at with the Shunyata Venoms. Also I didn't detect anymore uneven frequencies, everything sounded pretty cohesive.

There were good dynamics and impact, especially when I cranked up the volume to 90db+ levels. Certainly didn't sound like anything was being restricted.

However, ultimately, I was left struggling to hear any real impact/change that the cable was bringing to the amp especially when compared to the Shunyata cable.

Especially perplexing was how the music seemed to be coming from about a foot in front of the speakers. The sound was fairly flat and localized to that general area. I wasn't getting abundant 3D stereo imaging effects like I was with the Shunyatas. Personally, I want the music to sound like it's coming from all around and whipping past my head.

So, while I definitely think they sound better than stock, they did not seem to be performing up to their price point of $1,500 each. Especially when I think of the performance I was getting out of the $135 each Shunyata Venom 14s.

I am reserving final judgement for when I listen with the Tornado Source on the Auralic. It's now installed there, so I will take a listen tomorrow and see how it goes.
  • Joey_V
    I will say, I auditioned Shunyatas at my place, power cords. I was not convinced of the AQ wel superiority with power cords after that demo.

Shunyata alphas and sigmas.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Sorry you are not seeing the performance out of the new cables Drew, that sucks. I definitely wouldn't keep them if they are not giving you gains worthy of their cost.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Sorry you are not seeing the performance out of the new cables Drew, that sucks. I definitely wouldn't keep them if they are not giving you gains worthy of their cost.
    Totally agree. I think give them a little time to potentially settle in, but I would make sure you know the details on a return window and process.

It's too bad though, was hoping for a more exciting outcome. Could be a lot of things causing the let down which could be nitpicked forever, but I think if you're not happy with them just stick with your gut and put those funds elsewhere in the system.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Clipdat
    I kinda "botched" this by trading in my Shunyata cables so now I have nothing to go back to aside from stock. Not good when you are trying to keep a baseline/reference point for reviewing components that are arriving.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Being biased, I would have gone with a better Shunyata cable versus a different vendor.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • displayname
    I kinda "botched" this by trading in my Shunyata cables so now I have nothing to go back to aside from stock. Not good when you are trying to keep a baseline/reference point for reviewing components that are arriving.

Maybe they haven't moved those Venoms yet? I'd say it's at least worth a phone call.
    Discogs
  • Clipdat
    Oh I can hear it now when I tell him I want to return these. "You didn't let the DIALECTIC SETTLE!"
  • displayname
    Oh I can hear it now when I tell him I want to return these. "You didn't let the DIALECTIC SETTLE!"
    Oh yes, I'd imagine they are going to do everything they can to talk you into keeping them, which is all the more reason to start early.
    Discogs
  • joecoulson
    edited October 2020
    The only thing that I will add here is : you have waited to add the most important link In the chain, good power to the source. As discussed earlier, your system is only as good as it’s weakest link.
    Now if you don’t get happy when you listen tonight, it’s pretty obvious.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Wrap them in aluminum... or aluminium.. foil. Making sure the point of termination is pointing to magnetic North
  • Clipdat
    I took a listen to the system tonight with the Torando Source cable on the Auralic Vega G1.

With the three AQ cables now connected, the system sounded better and closer to what I remember it sounding like with the Shunyata cables. However, I'm still not convinced that it was completely back to that previous level of performance.

The sound was less localized to the speakers, with a little more air and space. But in general, it still sounded like it was coming from about a foot in front of the speakers.

Most notably, I wasn't getting the perfect sense of rhythmic timing that I was experiencing previously when playing Tidal through the Auralic G1. I feel that this is worth mentioning as it was such a striking and obvious sensation that I got when listening to my favorite music through the G1. And I didn't hear it just a day or two. It was literally day after day after day, every time I listened with the G1. It was such a unique feeling that now I find myself trying to get it back.

I cranked up a few test tracks to ~95db, and it did sound better at these higher volume levels. Super clean and zero harshness or fatiguing sensations. But, I can't physically listen at these higher levels often in an apartment environment. So ideally I would like to have performance benefits at lower listening levels as well.

In summary, the system is certainly listenable with these cables, but is it any better than it was with the Shunyatas? To me, no, it is not obviously better. Therefore, in my system and for my tastes, I don't consider the AQ Tornado HC and Source cables to be a good value.

I will be exchanging them and going in a different direction.
  • Joey_V
    Yeah, I wouldn’t keep them if you spent the cost of 3 tornados and are hard pressed to be convinced of an improvement. Send them back.
  • Clipdat
    I also boxed up the AQ Niagara 1200 and may trade that back in as well. Just looking to go in a different direction. Can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs, or something.
  • BlueFox
    Yes, I agree. Also he was using, and replacing, Shunyata's entry level power cord.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    edited October 2020
    Still exploring options, but leaning toward the Shunyata PS8 and some of their nicer cables like the NR-V10, Delta V2 NR, etc.

Also looking into IsoTek. https://www.isoteksystems.com/product/
  • joecoulson
    edited October 2020
  • joecoulson
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Wrap them in aluminum... or aluminium.. foil. Making sure the point of termination is pointing to magnetic North

That works!
  • Clipdat
    Decided to go Shunyata PS8 with Venom Defender and upgraded stainless steel feet.

Also Delta v2 NR and XC series power cables.

https://shunyata.com/products/power-cables/reference-line-power-cables/delta-v2-nr/

https://shunyata.com/products/power-cables/reference-line-power-cables/delta-v2-xc/
  • displayname
    Exciting, hopefully these are a better fit with your system.
    Discogs
  • BlueFox
    Cool. Let us know how they work. I have the previous generation power cords, and the current generation is supposed to be even better. Hope these work well for you.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • joecoulson
    I agree. I do hope they are a better fit.
  • Joey_V
    Cool man
    Hope you like them