Marantz SR6015 VS Denon X3700

Both the Marantz SR6015 and Denon X3700 have very similar specs, including the ability to disable the internal amplifiers and be used as a pre-amp.. I've read reviews on both and it's really challenging determining which one is the better performing AVR. The AVR will solely be used in a home theatre setup with external amplifiers, so I'm primarily concerned with the best audio processing capabilities. There are so many factors when deciding which AVR is the best fit for your personal needs and some help would be appreciated. I find that internet reviews are heavily biased as everyone has personal biases towards certain brands or preferences in terms of what functionality is most important.
Projector - Optoma CinemaX P1 | Screen - Elunevision 120" Aurora 8k Ultra Short Throw NanoEdge
Media - HTPC: 120 TB Movies, Nvidia Shield | AVR - Denon AVR-X3700H | Amp - Outlaw 5000, Outlaw 2200 x 3, Outlaw 2220 x 2
Front Spkrs - Polk Audio RTiA9 | Center Spkr - Polk Audio CSiA6 | Surround Spkrs - Polk Audio RTiA7
Rear Spkrs - Polk Audio RTiA5 | Atmos - Polk Audio RTiA1 | Sub - HSU VTF-15H MK2 x 2

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Denon and Marantz have the same parent company but different development teams with different goals. The parent company usually says Denon receivers are voiced to be more energetic and Marantz smoother. I would say given your home theater purpose go with Denon if the other features and price are comparable. If it was for a 50/50 split music and home theater system with the RTiA line of speakers I would go for Marantz
  • The Denon is like $500 cheaper with virtually the same features. I just don’t get it.
    Projector - Optoma CinemaX P1 | Screen - Elunevision 120" Aurora 8k Ultra Short Throw NanoEdge
    Media - HTPC: 120 TB Movies, Nvidia Shield | AVR - Denon AVR-X3700H | Amp - Outlaw 5000, Outlaw 2200 x 3, Outlaw 2220 x 2
    Front Spkrs - Polk Audio RTiA9 | Center Spkr - Polk Audio CSiA6 | Surround Spkrs - Polk Audio RTiA7
    Rear Spkrs - Polk Audio RTiA5 | Atmos - Polk Audio RTiA1 | Sub - HSU VTF-15H MK2 x 2
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,966
    What speakers and what external amps? That’s important.

Generally, for HT only I would go denon. Absolutely love mine and I’ve owned just about everything except the totl pioneer. But if the speakers are klipsch or RTiA I would go with Marantz. Slightly warmer and more laid back sound sig.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Emlyn
    Marantz has HDAM modules in the amplification section and maybe some other more expensive internals. It draws 20 watts more than the 3700H, which is not much but is something. The Denon 4700H is about $100 more then the Marantz 6015 model with a stronger amp.

If using as a preamp only, I would most likely go for the 3700H and save some money.
  • rooftop59 wrote: »

Generally, for HT only I would go denon. Absolutely love mine and I’ve owned just about everything except the totl pioneer. But if the speakers are klipsch or RTiA I would go with Marantz. Slightly warmer and more laid back sound sig.

Outlaw 5000/2200 amps and RTiA speakers...
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    One other factor since both units will get the job done, which style case do you prefer?
  • stevep wrote: »
    One other factor since both units will get the job done, which style case do you prefer?

The denon looks prettier lol
  • Emlyn
    simoes wrote: »
    stevep wrote: »

The denon looks prettier lol

Decision made! :)

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Outlaw 5000/2200 amps and RTiA speakers...

I would go with the Marantz. That will be a very bright HT with the denon I would think...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • Emlyn wrote: »
    If using as a preamp only, I would most likely go for the 3700H and save some money.

That’s the way I’m leaning as I won’t be using the internal amplifiers. I read that the Marantz SR6015 has great surround decoding but wouldn’t the denon be the same?!!

• rooftop59
    edited September 2020
    The Denon is like $500 cheaper with virtually the same features. I just don’t get it.

Marantz is the higher end brand. Denon’s most expensive integrated is $1600. The Marantz PM-10 is $8000. The build quality is a bit higher on the Marantz. I know lots of folks don’t like the audioholics site, but they compared the internals of the two and found a lot of improvements in the Marantz...
    Post edited by rooftop59 on
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • You guys are making things so clear now - clear as mud 😂
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Hey, we're here to help!😂
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    edited September 2020
    Denon also has some super high end (high priced) equipment that is not brought in to the U.S.
    Denon has long been more of a high end company than Marantz as it was being sold company to company just using the name. The current owners decided not to import the "good" stuff to the U.S.
    I think D&M made a decision that the Marantz name was better known in the U.S. and thus decided to push it as the higher end line.
    Post edited by marvda1 on
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • simoes
    simoes Posts: 71
    I'm leaning towards the sr6015, but I just read an article indicating that the AVR supports up to 5 floor speakers and 4 ceiling speakers. What's up with that? Is the author of the article smoking the funny stuff? By looking at the pre-outs, I cannot see why it wouldn't support a 7.2 and eventually a 7.2.2 setup.
  • Emlyn
    The SR6015 would support a 7.2 system. It has amplification for 9 channels at a time (plus preamplifier outputs for 2 discrete subwoofers) or up to 11.2 channels from the preamplifier outputs.

Some of this stuff gets confusing because it used to be 5.1 meant five regular speakers plus one subwoofer and that was enough. My current system is 5.2 with no height speakers but two subwoofers. With Dolby Atmos a 7.1.2 system is actually seven regular speakers, one subwoofer, and two height speakers:

https://www.dolby.com/about/support/guide/speaker-setup-guides/7.1.2-dolby-atmos-enabled-speaker-setup-guide/

A 7.2.2 system would be seven speakers, two subwoofers, and two height speakers. Dolby also shows a configuration for a system as bizarre as 7.1.6 with six height speakers. Personally, I think there's such a thing as having too many speakers in a normal residential room.
  • simoes
    I'm familiar with all those configurations. I was reading a review on the AVR and was a bit shocked to read that it supported up to 5 floor speakers and 4 height. I figured it was BS but wanted to confirm. When I look at the back of the AVR, it looks like it supports 7 floor speakers, 2 subs, and 4 height speakers (additional 2 with external amp). I've been noticing that all the varying speaker configurations only make reference to 1 sub? Why is that?
  • Emlyn
    Dual discrete subwoofer support in a receiver based home theater system is a relatively recent thing as far as surround formats go.
  • simoes
    That makes sense. I'm also looking at the Atmos enabled speakers that sit on top of the L/R channels and fire into the ceiling. Are these speakers just gimmick or do they actually make a difference?
  • Emlyn
    To a degree it's room dependent. I would not say effects speakers are a gimmick since they may be the only way to access the height effects on a Blu Ray disc. The up-firing Atmos effects speakers reflecting sound off a ceiling would work in most rooms but ideally the speakers would be in the ceiling and firing downwards. In some rooms up-firing and reflecting is the only option.