TL mod seems like it should be in the FAQ top of page

I have rta 12c and want the best tweeter Polk designed for these old timers, rdo 194 sounds like easy but not “best” can someone put forth a good diagram relative to all the models running the SL 2000 tweeters that need to be upgraded rdo 198 to create these awesome interstellar highs? Feel like I’m searching for the holy grail and only finding things on SDA series or monitor 10s without any good diagrams, I know beggars can’t be choosers but I have a soldering iron and skills, just no audio engineering degree. probably the same resister required but where to put it is what I’m not finding

Comments

  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 9,390
    edited September 30
    There is no TL mod for those speakers AFAIK. The best you can do is Peerless on the B models or 194s on the C models.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

    Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 45,176
    The TL mod involves more than adding a resistor....with an o. So, as Nightfall correctly stated, there is no TL mod for your speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • jwoods2112jwoods2112 Posts: 15
    Roger that, thanks for replies, too bad so sad for me, is there a hometown favorite for reworking and upgrading these crossovers?

    Also noticed last night that the back of the speaker box on left speaker has begun to come unglued, and rattles at really low frequency. I suppose there’s a thread on that but if the proper fix is known let me know. I imagine I need to cut it loose and glue with special glue or epoxy?
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 45,176
    If you're talking about the rear panel use construction adhesive. Approach this from the inside and figure out a way to clamp or otherwise keep the panel snugged up while the adhesive cures.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 9,390
    jwoods2112 wrote: »
    too bad so sad for me

    I wouldn't worry about it too much. RTA-12B or C with Peerless or 194's are still excellent speakers. The best vintage models that aren't SDA's from what I've heard so far.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

    Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • jwoods2112jwoods2112 Posts: 15
    Not sure there will be enough of a gap to squeeze any adhesive into, just try and pile more onto that seem or joint then clamp?
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 45,176
    Might help to post a pic or two.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • FaustinFaustin Posts: 989
    "Roger that, thanks for replies, too bad so sad for me, is there a hometown favorite for reworking and upgrading these crossovers?"

    Check with Polk member westmassguy - DHS Speaker
  • jwoods2112jwoods2112 Posts: 15
    👍 I’ll definitely post some pics when I get around to it, it was insanely low bass that a , new to me,yet very old amp can apparently produce. Stay away from trip-hop music and I think they’re fine.
  • Omg I have sl 1000 tweeters in speaker boxes labeled 12c which should’ve had sl 2000 to allow rd 0194s to fit exactly. Lame just lame
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 6,728
    jwoods2112 wrote: »
    Omg I have sl 1000 tweeters in speaker boxes labeled 12c which should’ve had sl 2000 to allow rd 0194s to fit exactly. Lame just lame

    OMG! How could Polk betray us 35 years later? Oh the humanity!
    Surface mount it. There's no sealed cabinet to worry about. It's a little mounting board. Even if it's not pretty, the whole thing gets covered in a bonnet.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver C-500

    dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Exclusive Distributor of Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

    "And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
  • xschopxschop Posts: 1,833
    jwoods2112 wrote: »
    Omg I have sl 1000 tweeters in speaker boxes labeled 12c which should’ve had sl 2000 to allow rd 0194s to fit exactly. Lame just lame

    OMG! How could Polk betray us 35 years later? Oh the humanity!
    Surface mount it. There's no sealed cabinet to worry about. It's a little mounting board. Even if it's not pretty, the whole thing gets covered in a bonnet.

    WMG for the rebuke....Wasn't pretty from the factory 35 years ago either.
  • LOL 😂 I know I wanted instant gratification right when the new tweeters showed up! Made a template and routered them in=done

    I do like the uniqueness of these Polks with the crossover and its tweeter just slapped on top. Now to replace the fabric 😬... original owner had cats

    I’ve appreciated the feedback from everyone. Haven’t had a good session with them to allow any review. Iooking to eventually feed them some high resolution as soon as I find a dac. I’ve had no other Polk’s to compare them with nor can I compare them to any other floor standers as it’s just one pair at a time around here.

    Curious what suggestions you all might have for demo music, I listen to everything

    Thanks again for the input!
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 6,728
    jwoods2112 wrote: »
    LOL 😂 I know I wanted instant gratification right when the new tweeters showed up! Made a template and routered them in=done

    I do like the uniqueness of these Polks with the crossover and its tweeter just slapped on top. Now to replace the fabric 😬... original owner had cats

    I’ve appreciated the feedback from everyone. Haven’t had a good session with them to allow any review. Iooking to eventually feed them some high resolution as soon as I find a dac. I’ve had no other Polk’s to compare them with nor can I compare them to any other floor standers as it’s just one pair at a time around here.

    Curious what suggestions you all might have for demo music, I listen to everything

    Thanks again for the input!

    They were Polk's flagship stereo speaker. I've rebuilt many RTA-12 crossovers, but was lucky enough to have a customer drop off a pair for a full rebuild, crossovers and cabinet improvements. I was blown away by them.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver C-500

    dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Exclusive Distributor of Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

    "And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
  • xschopxschop Posts: 1,833
    If they were mine, I'd hide the crossovers and build a bullet/cone-shaped tweeter housing like a B&W monitor.
  • jwoods2112 wrote: »

    They were Polk's flagship stereo speaker. I've rebuilt many RTA-12 crossovers, but was lucky enough to have a customer drop off a pair for a full rebuild, crossovers and cabinet improvements. I was blown away by them.

    So you’ve had good success using these rd 0194s in your rebuilds? They seem to hold it together better at volume, better than the 35?year old sl 1000s anyway. Just wondering if you’ve rebuilt the crossovers on these for tweeters that simply astounded you?
  • I’ll have to check that out
    xschop wrote: »
    If they were mine, I'd hide the crossovers and build a bullet/cone-shaped tweeter housing like a B&W monitor.

  • ap9ts6vsfcpx.jpeg

    I probably should’ve sunk the new tweeters (plates are thicker and a bit convex) all the way in so that the added thickness of the new tweeter plates wouldn’t interfere with mounting bracket, but for moment I stacked a bunch of washers, I’ll probably put some black nylon standoffs in there. There was a bit of a flange on the new tweeters, I could have just routed it from outside to outside dimensions and sunk it deeper, oh well
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 6,728
    jwoods2112 wrote: »
    jwoods2112 wrote: »

    They were Polk's flagship stereo speaker. I've rebuilt many RTA-12 crossovers, but was lucky enough to have a customer drop off a pair for a full rebuild, crossovers and cabinet improvements. I was blown away by them.

    So you’ve had good success using these rd 0194s in your rebuilds? They seem to hold it together better at volume, better than the 35?year old sl 1000s anyway. Just wondering if you’ve rebuilt the crossovers on these for tweeters that simply astounded you?
    The SL1000 Tweeters are pretty awful. Like the SL2000, they have a resonance peak around 12.5-13 kHz. The Peerless or RD-0194s are what you want.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver C-500

    dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Exclusive Distributor of Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

    "And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
  • Yes RD 0194 went in
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!