Question about AudioQuest K2 cable

Someone local to me is selling a pair of AudioQuest K2 speaker cables for under $1,000. I did a search on these cables and couldn’t find any serious reviews. I got discouraged/annoyed after reading the first few pages of funny “reviews” on Amazon.

Does anyone have any real experience with these cables?

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Well I have not, we do have a member here who used another of that series and spoke highly of it. @nooshinjohn

As the K2 is the top of that line and all PSS (perfect surface silver) you could go one of two ways as on some systems silver can be very bright or harsh or just the ticket. Silver is the best conductor of electricity of all the metals.
    personally I find reviews on amazon to be a JOKE!

Yes I see what you mean there is nothing out there to even remotely base a decision on.

Depending on the length you could be getting a great deal on some very high dollar cables, and you could probably flip them easily if they are not your cake to eat.
  • They are 8ft long. I’m hesitant to get them because there’s not much serious discussion (thus very low interest and demand) so it might be hard to flip them.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Beware of fakes. At that price, I'd be skeptical.
  • I did think about that, too. I haven’t researched on how to spot the counterfeit AQ cables yet. The seller seems to have a pretty high end system so that makes me not as skeptical.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Ask where he/she bought them from and if they have a receipt. If you buy and send them to Audioquest they will destroy them if they are counterfeit.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    $1500 nine-foot pair on Minneapolis CL. Seller says they retailed at $12,000.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    If you go check them out, bring a gun.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • I hesitated too long. It’s sold and pending payment. Thank you all for your inputs.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    edited October 2020
    Too bad I missed this discussion from the getgo.

@aznwonderboy

I own the Audioquest Wel speaker wires, also 8ft. I believe the Wel are the upgraded version of the K2. Full PSS as well, mine is single-biwire.

The reason for the lack of discussion is that they are rare. Mostly because of price.

I also heard those wires you just purchased, the Satori speaker wires.

And the prior posters were right, one way to find out if it is a fake is to send it to AQ HQ in Irvine. They will destroy if counterfeit. They will send back to you with new box if they are not.

I did the same for mine, I sent it in to AQ.

One way to vouch for the cable is whether the owner has a good system, if he does, and you're local and you can touch and see the cable, you can typically be sure it is legit. There's a heft and feel to an all silver wire.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Hi @Joey_V

Thank you for your advice.

I was actually inspired to go down the cable rabbit hole after reading a few of your posts and reviews. I’m tempted to give the Wel a try one day just to see if it can give me the same excitement as it did for you (even though my system and room are not the same as yours).

The same seller also has a pair of AQ Wildwood for sale (slightly under $4K). I haven’t jumped on it because they’re too short for my need.

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Hi @Joey_V

Thank you for your advice.

I was actually inspired to go down the cable rabbit hole after reading a few of your posts and reviews. I’m tempted to give the Wel a try one day just to see if it can give me the same excitement as it did for you (even though my system and room are not the same as yours).

The same seller also has a pair of AQ Wildwood for sale (slightly under $4K). I haven’t jumped on it because they’re too short for my need.

Wildwood would be nice. Close to the wel.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound