Polk Legend Series L600 -- any ears-on experience/reports?

Options

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    gmd wrote: »
    Bumping this thread to see if anyone else has any review/experience with the L600s? Just registered here but I have owned Polks for nearly 15 years now (RTi6 fronts) and want to upgrade to full towers and these are on the short list. Really hard to find any credible opinions of them online though and can't find them in any store to listen to.

I suggest you read the L200 demo reviews posted here. The L600 will sound like them with more bass.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TopperDude
    Options
    its a really fun speaker and definitely worth adding to your shortlist. Bass on them is almost shocking :). (can't even imagine how much more the L800s would be).
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    shocking bass, eh?

;)

• ausvoy
    ausvoy Posts: 12
    Options
    Do you mean too much bass?
    So hard to get a good feel from any feedback on the L600's!
    We need more owners to review. Sounds like not too many L600's out there after being launched about a year ago.
  • TopperDude
    Options
    ausvoy wrote: »
    Do you mean too much bass?
    So hard to get a good feel from any feedback on the L600's!
    We need more owners to review. Sounds like not too many L600's out there after being launched about a year ago.

Plays deep with authority. Would not say 'too much bass' as it never felt like excessive or muddying or anything like that but ofcourse your room and placement also play a part.

(Never felt the need or even urge to try it with a sub with the bass i was hearing)
  • ausvoy
    Options
    Sure thanks for the reply. The only other thing I have heard is that the mid range may be a little thin, what are your thoughts here? And if I could ask what were your previous speakers?
    I have had a pair of older Focal's previously and want to make sure this is a good step up.
    Thx.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    Options
    I had a demo of the L200's and never would say the Legend series is thin in the midrange. I'd think the amp or pre was at fault if that was heard.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • ausvoy
    Options
    Good point, although the L200 has a 5"mid/bass driver and the L600 only has a 4".
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    ⬆️ In fact ⬆️

The L200 has 1 x 6.5" Mid/Woofer
    Whereas the L600 has 1 x 5.25" Midrange; and 2 x 7" Mid/Woofers.

In any case, I’m not convinced by the logic whereby the L600 would be thin in the midrange, when the L200 has to cover a much wider frequency with a single Mid/Woofer, even if it is bigger.

L200 -3dB Limits = 46 Hz → 38,000 Hz
    L200 -3dB Limits = 34 Hz → 38,000 Hz

[L200 Specifications]
    [L600 Specifications]
    Alea jacta est!
  • ausvoy
    Options
    Ok thanks for the feedback. The real proof is the fact that you have heard it, although this is subjective, but better than any spec.
    Not sure why Polk has not had more of a drive & more reviews on the L600?
    Also owners seem to be few and far between. Wonder if supply was an issue, although we should be way past that now.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Someone here smarter than me said reviews / opinions are like a$$holes. Everyone's got one. Maybe the new owners of the L600's are so happy they lost interest in the internet.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • ausvoy
    Options
    Well I have been a happy Polk owner with RTiA9's and now I have a pair of LSiM703's which I really like.
    Would love the L600s and I did hear them at a dealer and they were OK but not impressive enough for the current price. They just seemed a bit flat. It could have been the amp although it was an upmarket hybrid amp worth $4k which was 50rms per channel, class A. I don't think the power scenario was the issue, even though they have lower efficiency. I have heard the same claim by the you tube Andrew Robinson who reviewed the L800s and the L100's and said they were great in certain areas but over all didnt stand out as a general speaker for the money.
    I did also find out that the speakers were not properly run in yet. I found with the RTiA9's, running in makes a huge difference, especially in the bass region. The speakers transform over time.
    I was surprised the dealer had not bothered to run them in yet was expecting people to pay top dollar.
    Anyway, thanks for your response.
  • TopperDude
    TopperDude Posts: 166
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I love the entire Legend line. I've had extensive experience with the L100 and i love small speakers and the scale they can produce from a relatively small box always puts a smile on my face :).

Haven't had a chance to hear the L800 in person but if your room is on the bigger side and/or you really want towers, you wont regret the L600.

(I've heard the L100 (a lot), the L200 (quite a bit but not extensive), and the L600 (also a lot but not as much as the L100). My previous experience with speakers is more budget stuff like the Signature and RTiA but i do occasionally get to hear more expensive gear).

Hope you get a chance to demo them nicely set up and powered well. Am sure you'll like em.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    If you really like the 703’s I can’t see how you wouldn’t like the Legend series. I have both the 703’s and the L200’s. I love the 703’s and I consider the L200’s to be a logical step up. In both cases, they sound better and better as the quality of the power goes up - a characteristic of a top-shelf speaker.
  • ausvoy
    Options
    Well I will be taking the plunge and getting a pair. I’ll report back my experience to you all.
    Does anyone have any idea how many hours they would need to be run in? I might send a note to Polk and see what they say.
  • dromunds
    Options
    Likely a long break-in period. My 703’s were a hundred hours IIRC, they sounded like crap when I first hooked them up and I almost sent them back, but then they went from good to bad to good to bad and finally settled in but it was a long time. You can just run your tuner at a low volume all day long for awhile. I didn’t purchase my Legends new but I would expect a long break-in
  • ausvoy
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back re break in. I had the same similar experience with the new RTiA9's I bought. Although they just went from bad to great.
    I have a 'sub woofer music' cd I use for my burn in at medium to high levels, not pushing them too hard. But I find this range of highs and ultra lows speeds up the process.
    Picking them up this arvo :-), although I have a busy weekend so not sure when I will get a chance to have a good play :-(
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Someone here smarter than me said reviews / opinions are like a$$holes. Everyone's got one. Maybe the new owners of the L600's are so happy they lost interest in the internet.
    FAT CHANCE... COULD IT BE POLK IS LOOSING INTEREST IN US ??

Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • F1nut
    Options
    warren wrote: »

Some days you make sense, but today isn't one of them.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    warren wrote: »

Some days you make sense, but today isn't one of them.
    I wonder why I feel like that ..

Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    If I didn't have a house full of LSiM speakers bought at half price or better over the last several years, I might be inclined to buy the Legend line. I have thought about replacing my LSiM 707s with the L800s, but I can't justify it since the old line was very good and a big leap above the older LSi speakers. The new line may be Legend-ary though! Now that the last of the LSiM speakers are finally out of the new sales market the sales of the Legend speakers may pick up more and buyers may find their way to the Polk forum to share what they hear.
  • dromunds
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the review. Would like to hear more as time permits
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    ms4ne0razr3u.jpeg

Well I have had the L600s burning in for about 30 hours now.
    Life has been so busy that today I got to hear them for about 25mins for the first time.
    Wow😃 they are the next level! Especially surprised with the loudness and dynamics compared to my previous I wasn’t expecting this as my amp is only 25w class A
    Although the 4ohm rating is probably drawing close to 50w.
    Will report more when I have had time for. Proper evaluation.
    So far, think Focal detail, But with a fantastic bass and sub bass.
    These maybe real sleepers with all the publicity going to the L800’s!
    [emphasis added]

Compared to what previously?

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    So far, think Focal detail, But with a fantastic bass and sub bass. These maybe real sleepers with all the publicity going to the L800’s!

I like what you did with the sound panel in front of the TV screen. Not many people would think of the benefit of doing that for stereo listening!
  • ausvoy
    Options
    Thanks, the diffuser makes a significant difference in defining the instruments.
    Best of all it is made from the discarded packaging of Hp printer cartridges from our large printers in the office! 😁. I just sprayed them black.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Ha, that's thinking outside the box. B)

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    Options
    Thanks, the diffuser makes a significant difference in defining the instruments.
    Best of all it is made from the discarded packaging of Hp printer cartridges from our large printers in the office! 😁. I just sprayed them black.

Nicely done. And by the way welcome to Club Polk.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• TopperDude
    TopperDude Posts: 166
    Options
    Your setup looks great !! And glad they seem to be working out for ya :)
  • ausvoy
    Options
    More feedback after more listening.
    These sound as good as the Osbourne Epitome and better than my Focal Cobalts.
    The Osbourne speakers are renowned for their compete sound quality and a good friend of mine has the Osbourne Monuments, which are the best speakers I have have heard regardless of price.
    Anyway the L600s are definitely in the high end audiophile league. Btw, they should be for the price. The more I listen the more I’m appreciating the work that must have gone into the development and voicing of this speaker. To my ears they got it right!
    Maybe not as full sounding as the LSiM’s slightly enhanced sound, but super accurate and more realistic.
    Money outstanding thing is the high quality and immense quantity of bass for the small 7” drivers.
    Midrange and highs are also outstanding and I’m surprised as to how non fatiguing they are. You can listen all day long if you are not careful and end up being a couch potato 🥔 😁.

My source is the Oppo 105 via silver coated interconnects. Amp is the Nelson Pass F5 class A 25w pc into 8ohms. This amp is super transparent and a little valve like I may the sound scraping, it is Surprisingly loud with the L600, the 4ohm load would help here as my other speakers are not as lounge on this amp.

Anyway Polk have a sleeper here as I have seen minimal reviews and publicity on this model here in AU 🇦🇺. Is there much on the L600s in the 🇺🇸 or 🇨🇦?

Keep well and hope the pandemic is easing up for you all, as we have single digit cases here with the vaccine about to roll out 😊