Craigslist Wackos

Have a $50 item listed. Guy asks me if I'll drive 1hr+ each way to meet. Let me think about this for a second, umm, no! Idiot.

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I remember years ago @RuSsMaN had a pair of like $50 older Polk towers for sale. A guy wanted him to drive 100 miles each way to bring him the speakers...some folks are just a little nuts! :D
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Craigslist is mostly a joke for me. I'll see something send an email and hear nothing. The very few I do get a response from usually say that they sold it weeks ago, so then I'm left wondering why did you create another ad for the same item 5x since you said you sold it ???

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I still dabble with it but always put that we meet at the grocery store 5 minutes from my house and no other driving by me will happen.

I’ve had this same scenario happen a number of times.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • I love Craigslist but you gotta mentally prepare yourself to probably deal with some stupid **** before you try to buy or sell anything
  • fish357
    fish357 Posts: 304
    I’ve had great luck as a seller.
  • A friend of mine was robbed at gunpoint when he allowed a guy answering his craigslist ad into his house. He came with another who waited in the car. Since then he has a full security webcam setup and only meets people in a safe place.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    You would like to think your house is a safe place, pretty sad
  • A friend of mine was robbed at gunpoint when he allowed a guy answering his craigslist ad into his house. He came with another who waited in the car. Since then he has a full security webcam setup and only meets people in a safe place.

Yikes. Was he selling something very valuable? I always try to meet people in a public place, but occasionally let them come to my house for large items that would be a pain to transport or difficult to test adequately. In that case I usually try to set the item in my garage in view of all the neighbors to deter a situation like that, but you never know these days I guess.
  • CottageChz wrote: »
    A friend of mine was robbed at gunpoint when he allowed a guy answering his craigslist ad into his house. He came with another who waited in the car. Since then he has a full security webcam setup and only meets people in a safe place.

Yikes. Was he selling something very valuable? I always try to meet people in a public place, but occasionally let them come to my house for large items that would be a pain to transport or difficult to test adequately. In that case I usually try to set the item in my garage in view of all the neighbors to deter a situation like that, but you never know these days I guess.

Nope. I can only assume they picked houses that were in reasonably affluent areas and were after cash, jewelry, and whatever else is valuable and easy to fence.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    jdjohn wrote: »
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I always meet them with a 45 on my side.
    I think a 33 1/3 would be more intimidating :D

don't get me started on the 78.....
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 327
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Do you have to use black powder with that?
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    stevep wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Do you have to use black powder with that?

Yes. Lots and lots of black powder.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • I haven't had any issues yet with Craigslist (or Facebook Marketplace), but I try to meet people somewhere public if it's something I can transport. If it's something bulky like furniture or along those lines, I'll bring them to the front of the house in the garage - and then to the driveway when they are on their way.

I stay outside and have my wife lock the doors to the house. We have a key word when I knock on the door if something's amiss and she should call the cops. All preparation, but never had to do any of that. I'll be working on getting my CCW. You never know.

So far, things have all been good. Of course you always get the odd balls asking stupid questions. I just ignore them. Facebook marketplace is a little nicer in that I get more responses there today compared to Craigslist. Additionally, you see people's profiles and their pictures. If the person doesn't match what I see on Facebook, I'll back away.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • audioluvr
    I'll be working on getting my CCW. You never know.

It's far more effective when it's out in the open. Always eliminates surprises.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Agree 100% with the safety aspect. I usually meet them in the driveway or garage, house doors locked. Gotta pee, there's a convienece store a mile away. Nobody goes in the house. For small items, I used to meet them at a nearby location, but got tired of being stood up and having my time wasted. If I'm selling audio gear of any real value, I'll give the buyer a quick demo in the garage. In that situation, I almost always insist on talking on the phone before hand to weed out the flakes.

Was selling a bunch of kids playset items once.
    Guy show up who was open carrying. Don't see that very often. He strapped the sliding board on the roof redneck style and was on his way.

• audioluvr
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Was selling a bunch of kids playset items once.
    Guy show up who was open carrying. Don't see that very often. He strapped the sliding board on the roof redneck style and was on his way.

See, he clearly had nothing to hide. Those are the good guys.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Tonight, I sold a set of factory floor mats for a 14 year old car. The selling price, $10. He drove 1 1/2 hours each way to score these minty gems. That's commitment, or something like that.🤪
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Tonight, I sold a set of factory floor mats for a 14 year old car. The selling price, $10. He drove 1 1/2 hours each way to score these minty gems. That's commitment, or something like that.🤪

OCD, I can relate to some degree.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited October 2020
    Several years ago I found an ad on CL for a NAD906 in working condition. The ad said willng to trade. Something about things that go bang. I messaged him and told him I had Hi-Point .45 I'd be willing to trade. I was thinking he would ask for cash too but he did not. The hi point was given to me for upgrading a friends computer or something. I don't remember exactly.

So we meet about at about a 40 min drive for me. He shows me the amp in a McDonald's parking lot. I was happy. I took the gun out and handed it to him. Prior to even arriving at McDonald's I had already cleared the gun and put the empty mag back in. Sent the slide forward. (Of course I had my HK .40 on my hip under my shirt as I do for any CL deal) I hand him the gun and he is like a child with a new Stompers truck at Christmas. He never cleared it. Never pulled the slide or removed the clip. He start looking down the sights into his hatchback. He actually put his finger on the trigger. For a second, I thought he was going to squeeze it. He did not. Not that I would have handed him a loaded gun anyways. But still. I had reservations about the trade. I asked if he had experience, he said never, but he did say he was going to be doing a gun class and thats why he wanted a gun. So I felt a little better. I showed him how to clear it (while I leaned into his hatchback, im surprised the cops were not called) and how to make sure it was safe. I told him I needed a pic of his license for my records of the transfer of ownership.

Took my new NAD amp and took off.

I have in the past had a fellow officer come with me when making deals. You just never know. Sometimes being armed your self is not enough. Action is always faster than reaction.

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    I buy and sell audio and bicycles. Seems like the people who are interested in those two categories are “good people”.
    Love yours. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”