Stellar Gain Cell DAC

Options
I missed out on a deal earlier this year on one of these and am curious if anybody else is thinking of selling sometime soon? I currently have a Peachtree iDAC and passive preamp but would like to move up the ladder a bit and avoid having a separate analog preamp for volume and source switching. Anybody selling?
2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I may be able to help very soon B) Mine is silver if that makes a difference for you.
    Thanks @joecoulson
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • ambiophonics
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies! No preference on color.
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Cool. If you can wait about a week, I'll know for sure.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • ambiophonics
    Options
    That sounds good @jdjohn I'm in no hurry. If you have time could you shoot me a PM with some details on what you might be asking? Thanks
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    You'll need a good cable and power cord....
    ;)
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Haha. Yes. Good call Ivan...
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Not to derail your thread but do you know Ralph Glasgal? An audio buddy and I got treated to the royal demonstration of ambiophonics in his house once. Truly amazing.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • ambiophonics
    Options
    @Gardenstater I have only read about Ralph and his work with ambiophonics. I used to use a crosstalk cancellation box, ambio4you or something, in my 2 channel setup but eventually went with the SDA speakers so I could also have a completely analog setup for vinyl. A bit of a trade off in some ways but the upgraded SDA-2BTL speakers really do sound nice. That's amazing you were able to hear Ralph's setup. I'd love to hear more about what it was like.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,186
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I can't find the video I took atm and it is probably on my old camera (and my facebook page) but he had 24 electrostatic speakers set up and the room had a spiral staircase and a 30 foot vaulted ceiling. He did a demonstration of ambiophonic effect for us where he made an audio image of someone walking that started out right in front of us and walked right through us to a position behind us. It was a pretty freaky thing.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,604
    Options
    Those shorts should be illegal.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Those shorts should be illegal.

Look again, that's his underwear...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Ahh I'm starting to think I shouldn't have posted the pics. @KennethSwauger could you do me a favor and delete them?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Too late. We can never unsee those
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Any comments on the audio equipment lol? ahh forget it.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,549
    Options
    I have the screen shots if anyone needs them???

Hahah Just kidding man!
  • ambiophonics
    ambiophonics Posts: 719
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Still looking for one of these but just read this review that is making me re-think getting rid of my Peachtree iDAC

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-the-ps-audio-stellar-gain-cell-dac.9273/
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Amir believes if it measures good, it sounds good, and vice versa. I wouldn't base any buying decisions based off that notion.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Measurements are a valid and valuable data point, but ultimately let your ears be the final judge.
  • ambiophonics
    Options
    I'll keep reading reviews. I'd love to let my ears be the judge and compare to my Peachtree iDAC but that's tough to do when PS audio only sells online now.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Amir is a biased douchebag
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,277
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Measurements are a valid and valuable data point, but ultimately let your ears be the final judge.

When measurements are valid, designers wouldn't even need to listen to the stuff they design. The measurements we currently use have very little to do with how equipment sounds
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Yeah I used to have the PSA SGC and from how it sounds (no real obvious/audible flaws) you'd never know it has such atrocious measurements.