Crossover Settings for Polk Speakers In Audyssey

dursman2000
dursman2000 Posts: 3
Hi everyone, I have a Denon receiver with Audyssey XT32, and I was wondering what you all thought of the settings it spit out in terms of accuracy -- keep in mind I get very crossed up (no pun intended) with the sub settings.

All speakers "small"

Front L/R - T50, 40hz

Center - S35, 60hz

Surrounds - S10, 110hz

Subwoofer - Sony SACS9 10' (120hz LFE in receiver; I have the dial set to widest setting, 200hz, on subwoofer itself)

Off the bat, the center sounds a little distorted to me at 60hz, and I've seen some here say the S35 should be set much higher -- 100hz or 120hz.

The T50's I've read should be set at 80hz many times (and also set "small")

I also tried them all at 80hz (sub at 120hz LFE) but the sound field comes off a little "bloomy" at times. With the Audyssey crossovers, it sounds more "precise" but the center doesn't seem entirely right.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thx in advance :)
Post edited by dursman2000 on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    The S35 has a frequency response of 53-40,000 Hz, but it doesn't say if that is the -3dB rating...likely is though. Try setting your center to 80Hz. Set your L/R to 80Hz and cross your sub to 80Hz, 120Hz is too high.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dursman2000
    edited September 2020
    Thanks. I'm starting to wonder if some of my issues with the S35 aren't inherent in its design. There are sections of dialogue in certain films that I've played repeatedly and, regardless of the setting, they come off as "clipped" or slightly distorted in the S35 (and are not elsewhere in my bedroom set-up). And the dialogue isn't someone shouting in action scenes, it's just conversational back-and-forth in an otherwise quiet backdrop.

After reading some reviews and other comments on this board, I think I may not have made the best choice for a center speaker, though the reason I picked the S35 was mostly because of space under the TV (plus it was on sale). I can return it, though, and might look for something else. I'd have gone with the S30 but couldn't because of the height.
  • F1nut
    The center is the most important speaker in a HT rig, so bigger is definitely better.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• B67
    B67 Posts: 4
    Hi,

I had this also bloomy. I set my LFE from 120hz to 100 hz. Mid sound came back and totally different sound.
  • F1nut
    It's boomy not bloomy.

President of Club Polk

• dursman2000
    edited September 2020
    Would the T30 offer a superior soundstage with the T50's since they are obviously in the same series?

Would it be worth upgrading to the S30?
    Post edited by dursman2000 on