Amp for rti a9

13»

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Not much love for Crown here, but I would say that would be a huge upgrade. Welcome BTW!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    cory30189 wrote: »
    ...I was thinking of upgrading to a Parasound 2250, but my biggest use is for home theater, video games, movies. Is it worth it to upgrade and will it make a noticable difference for my use of them?
    should make significant SQ improvement.

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Phro
    Phro Posts: 3
    musichigh wrote: »
    I did find a gfa 555 in Edmonton. Used for 490 Canadian. The guy couldn't tell me how old it is though

I just found one of these for 450 locally. I don't know enough about how to use them with my RTIA9's and Sony Str Dn1080. Would this suit my needs?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Phro wrote: »
    I did find a gfa 555 in Edmonton. Used for 490 Canadian. The guy couldn't tell me how old it is though

I just found one of these for 450 locally. I don't know enough about how to use them with my RTIA9's and Sony Str Dn1080. Would this suit my needs?

Yes, it would power your 9s MUCH better than the receiver alone. Not the most refined power however. I would look for something like a B&K reference 200.2 or a parasound HCA-1200 or 1500.

However, the problem is that your receiver does not have preouts for the mains (only zone 2 and subs), so you cannot use ANY external amp with it. You will have to upgrade the receiver in order to add an amp...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Could use one of these. It's not a solution I would choose, but it'll get the job done.

https://amazon.com/Speaker-Level-Converter-Adaptor-Control/dp/B007VTMSEO
  • astretch
    astretch Posts: 3
    Hi Folks,
    I'm just trying to put together my first 2 channel system (primarily for vinyl) which is long overdue. My brother bought me a Project turntable years ago and it's never been unboxed. I finally bought speakers (Polk RTiA9's) last week on a bit of a whim. The RTiA9's and the Paradigm Monitor SE 6000f's were both on sale for the same price locally (Hopefully I made the right decision!). Now that I've been doing more research it appears that I need quite a bit of power to drive these properly...
    Looks like I'll have to buy second hand to afford what I'll need so I've started looking around. Does anyone have any opinions on any of the following options/combos I've found for sale? ...or any suggestions in general?

Integrated Amps:
    Rotel RA 1570
    Rotel RA 870
    Sim Moon i.5
    Marantz PM 8005
    Onkyo A 8190
    Onkyo A 8087
    Sansui AU 519

Preamps:
    Adcom GFP-565
    Parasound PLD1100
    Parasound P/SP-1000
    NAD 1240
    SIMA P2001

Power Amps:
    Parasound HCA2200
    Parasound HCA1000A
    Parasound HCA600
    Kenwood Basic M2A
    Sony TA-N330ES
    Adcom GFA-2535
    NAD 272
    Quad 405
    Yamaha P2201

Thanks very much,
    Adam
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    My choice of that list would be the Parasound pre PLD1100 and the Parasound amp HCA2200.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • astretch
    Thanks Tony!

I may have to take the HCA2200 and the PSP-1000 off the list... I contacted the seller and he prefers pick-up only ...and he's not within driving distance.
    ...for 100$ more than the price of the HCA2200, I could pick up both the HCA1000A and the Kenwood Basic M2A - would that make any sense?

With regards to the preamps, the Adcom GFP-565 is listed for 50$ more than the PLD1100, but it has a built in phono which is apparently excellent. I'd have to buy a phono to go with the parasound... is it better to go with a separate phono?
  • rooftop59
    astretch wrote: »
    Thanks Tony!

I may have to take the HCA2200 and the PSP-1000 off the list... I contacted the seller and he prefers pick-up only ...and he's not within driving distance.
    ...for 100$ more than the price of the HCA2200, I could pick up both the HCA1000A and the Kenwood Basic M2A - would that make any sense?

With regards to the preamps, the Adcom GFP-565 is listed for 50$ more than the PLD1100, but it has a built in phono which is apparently excellent. I'd have to buy a phono to go with the parasound... is it better to go with a separate phono?

I can't comment on the phono preamp question, but I would not get two different amps for one pair of speakers. No way to level match them. Now, if the HCA1000A is the second series that can run mono, then two of those in mono would probably be pretty sweet!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • astretch
    Oh ok. I thought I had read a post about that Basic M2 with someone saying it was great to biamp the speakers with for the bass and they use another type for the higher frequencies... I must have misunderstood.
  • rooftop59
    astretch wrote: »
    Oh ok. I thought I had read a post about that Basic M2 with someone saying it was great to biamp the speakers with for the bass and they use another type for the higher frequencies... I must have misunderstood.

Bi-amping is very hard to do well I am told, but mono blocks would be easy!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited May 2020
    True bi-amping is a can of worms you don't want to open. Spend your money on getting one really good amp. If you can find one, a Parasound HCA 3500 mates very well with those speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Muchieman
    Muchieman Posts: 204
    I just ordered Rti A9s and am looking for amps.

I found a QSC 900 USA Series. Do you think this is going to be a good match for these speakers?

First post. Excited to get experthe advice as I am beginner
    Thanks

I found a QSC 900 USA Series. Do you think this is going to be a good match for these speakers?

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks
    @OP, Haven't read your thread completely, some other member mentioned a pair of monoblock amps. Two good monoblock amps would Serve up those Tower's your getting well. If you can find a pair with output @ 200 watts into 8 Ohms will give you good Dynamics plus each speaker will have it's own power supply, plus jet black noise floor. You won't have to worry about crosstalk. There are a few companies that have monoblock amps where you won't have to break your bank. Plus you'll get a full 5 year warranty. Buying used, well unless your very Comfortable buying from the person you know I wouldn't recommend it. May I Suggest Outlaw amps, or Monolith amps, No affiliation with the two companies have read good reviews from the ones who have those amps from them. True bi-amping front L/R mains would Require removing your XO completely out of the Equation. Keep your jumpers on your speakers.
    You really won't gain anything removing the Metal jumpers.
  • Brett H
    Brett H Posts: 9
    When I was running A9’s I upgraded an Emotiva amp to the Rotel RB-1590 and the power and detail really lifted. These are big and hungry speakers but they’ll reward you if you feed them a quality signal and pace them away from your walls!
  • Hello I recently Got a Pair of a9s but i'm wanting to know if the yamaha px-3 or behringer km750 would be a good choice for them?
  • DaveHo
    A pro amp with those would likely be so bright it'd make your ears bleed. Look for a warmer consumer grade amp such as B&K.
  • rooftop59
    MrNaz wrote: »
    Hello I recently Got a Pair of a9s but i'm wanting to know if the yamaha px-3 or behringer km750 would be a good choice for them?

Just...no. What Dave said. Parasound, musical fidelity, and yes b&k. Used is your friend!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Hello I recently Got a Pair of a9s but i'm wanting to know if the yamaha px-3 or behringer km750 would be a good choice for them?

Where are you located and what is your budget?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr wrote: »

I'm located in Ontario , Canada. Right now i haven't set a budget yet because I'm looking at different options rather it be used for a good deal or new if fairly priced.

Right now my Current set up is a Pyle P2002abti rated 240rms per channel, Behringer Fbq3102 equalizer , Rti a9 , Pyle padh 1079 speaker (250 rms) and klipsch R-120SW
  • gp4jesus
    Brett H wrote: »
    When I was running A9’s I upgraded an Emotiva amp to the Rotel RB-1590 and the power and detail really lifted. These are big and hungry speakers but they’ll reward you if you feed them a quality signal and pace them away from your walls!
    the Rotel RB-990BX or 991 hits the ‘A9s sweet spot @ a lower cost of admission that I estimate around $450 shipped. I’ve read reviews calling one of them a poor man’s Krell or Levinson. The 991 has balanced inputs.

http://www.rotel.com/sites/default/files/product/manuals/RB-990BX-OM.pdf

https://www.stereophile.com/content/rotel-rb-991-power-amplifier-specifications

Side note: I plan upgrade my CC amp w/an RB-991

Happy looking and shopping
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • rooftop59
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Brett H wrote: »
    the Rotel RB-990BX or 991 hits the ‘A9s sweet spot @ a lower cost of admission that I estimate around $450 shipped. I’ve read reviews calling one of them a poor man’s Krell or Levinson. The 991 has balanced inputs.

http://www.rotel.com/sites/default/files/product/manuals/RB-990BX-OM.pdf

https://www.stereophile.com/content/rotel-rb-991-power-amplifier-specifications

Side note: I plan upgrade my CC amp w/an RB-991

Happy looking and shopping

Hmm...I had a Rotel RB-993 (3 channel version) with the LSiM703s and it was a perfect match, which suggests to me that it would NOT be a great match for the RTis. It’s very neutral...helped take the 703s lower mid-bass bump.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • gp4jesus
    edited September 2020
    Hello I recently Got a Pair of a9s...
    I’d say Rooftop59 maybe better to follow than I as the 993 IS a 3 channel 991. Sorry either way.

@rooftop59: BTW what did the 993 replace? Could be a damping factor improvement

Another possible choice are Parasounds’ HCA-1200,1500, 2250, or 3500 (I hope model#s are correct) 1200 &1500 are similar

https://parasound.com/vintage/hca1203a.php

I believe a 1203 is a 3 channel 1200; others will chime to correct. Regardless that link will take you to the P’sound discontinued product page

We’re still waiting for your budget.

Tony
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr wrote: »

I'm located in Ontario , Canada. Right now i haven't set a budget yet because I'm looking at different options rather it be used for a good deal or new if fairly priced.

Right now my Current set up is a Pyle P2002abti rated 240rms per channel, Behringer Fbq3102 equalizer , Rti a9 , Pyle padh 1079 speaker (250 rms) and klipsch R-120SW

There is an OCM 200 for sale here for $400. That would be something to look into as they are about 3 level up from what you are running right now.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • rooftop59
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Hello I recently Got a Pair of a9s...
    I’d say Rooftop59 maybe better to follow than I as the 993 IS a 3 channel 991. Sorry either way.

@rooftop59: BTW what did the 993 replace? Could be a damping factor improvement

Another possible choice are Parasounds’ HCA-1200,1500, 2250, or 3500 (I hope model#s are correct) 1200 &1500 are similar

https://parasound.com/vintage/hca1203a.php

I believe a 1203 is a 3 channel 1200; others will chime to correct. Regardless that link will take you to the P’sound discontinued product page

We’re still waiting for your budget.

Tony

That entire system is long gone. I loved it but it was too much for the bedroom setup (703s and a 704c plus in ceiling surrounds hehe). I can say that I have a parasound HCA-1000a and a B&K 105 wpc something or other and emphasized that lower mid bass bump in the 703s and made they sound WAY too warm and laid back. The rotel both woke them up (as it had significantly more power) but I think more importantly the Rotel was just a bit leaner and more neutral and that was a MUCH better synergistic match for the warmish 703s...imho and all...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • MrNaz
    MrNaz Posts: 3

There is an OCM 200 for sale here for $400. That would be something to look into as they are about 3 level up from what you are running right now.

Was going to buy a Belles 400 but it sold so I picked up a yamaha m85 and also replaced the pyle p20002abti with a yamaha htr-6295 (rx-2065) , thinking of getting another set of rti a9s for system.
  • Hi Everyone, is this thread still active?
  • audioluvr
    It is now. :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• I know that this topic has been beaten to death, but I can't help but ask for some advice. I too have some RTI A9's that I really like, and currently they are powered by a Yamaha HTR-6920. It is a great little AVR, but I'd like to take more advantage of the the A9's on a budget.

Parasound seems to be resoundingly suggested, and on a used budget, I can find something that I'm comfortable with.

I have found a B&K 4420 locally, as well as a Parasound HCA-1500A a few hours away. Both are listed at the same price. The B&K is at an audio shop, and the Parasound is at a pawn shop. I think I would "trust" the B&K more given its source, but it looks a little beat up on the photos.

What are the real world differences? Any suggestions one way or another?
  • DaveHo
    B&K is warmer than the Parasound to my ears, so that'd be my choice to tame the top end on the A9's.
  • gp4jesus
    ncnmra wrote: »
    I think I would "trust" the B&K more given its source, but it looks a little beat up on the photos.
    you’re buying an amp for what inside does.