SDA 1c/Tube Amplication/Grounding

I have a pair if SDA 1c speakers, with new(ish) crossovers built by DHS about three years ago, using the gimp board and replacing the original IC with a larger gauge one with SpeakOn connectors.

I have perused a couple of tube amp strings and some refer to mods that appear to eliminate the requirement for a common ground. This, along with my amp search, has led to a couple of questions that perhaps you can help with.

(1)-Highest consideration amps at the moment are the Prima Luna 200 or 300, or perhaps one of the Rogue amps, either a hybrid (Sphinx) or tube throughout (Cronus). Does any one (a) know if these amps have a common ground (which allows me to ignore my question 2) and, (b) have any experience with SDA 1c's and tube amplification, and comments, observations, etc.?

(2)-I have asked Dave Shirly (DHS) if the mod'd x-over still requires a common ground if the IC is used, but maybe someone knows if inherently the gimp replacement board either does eliminate the requirement or inherently does not. Or perhaps it is a "variable" depending on x-over construction/wiring.

Thanks,
Paul

Comments

• It would probably be best to check with the amp's manufacturer directly, since these companies seldom make their schematics public. Most of the time there's a mention in the owner's manual if there's a problem with joining the two channel's grounds together. In all likelihood there's not a problem, but check with the individual company to be sure.
    In very general terms there seems to be a consensus that SDA speakers work best with good quality solid state amplifiers as opposed to vacuum tubes. I'm quite sure there are exceptions. It might have to do with the quality of the bass produced, or current capability versus voltage capability. I'm sure SDA owners will comment.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    Modded XO will still require common ground nothing changes in that respect. A volt ohm meter on the amps negative binding post (off and no speaker cables of course)should tell you whether or not its common ground.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    The boards are made by Gimpod.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    I used a Rogue Cronus Magnum with rebuilt 1c's and currently have the Rogue hooked up to a pair of 2b's I picked up a couple of weeks ago.
  • Faustin wrote: »
    I used a Rogue Cronus Magnum with rebuilt 1c's and currently have the Rogue hooked up to a pair of 2b's I picked up a couple of weeks ago.

How do you like the combination? As the "volume" of my listening has an inverse relationship to my age, I don't feel the need for the 1812 cannons on Telarc to be lifelike or higher volume like I did when I was younger--pretty soon the music will be inaudible. Most of my listening falls in the 50 to 65 db average range these days and leans more acoustic than classic rock.
  • Thanks all for the feedback.

Paul
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Faustin wrote: »

How do you like the combination? As the "volume" of my listening has an inverse relationship to my age, I don't feel the need for the 1812 cannons on Telarc to be lifelike or higher volume like I did when I was younger--pretty soon the music will be inaudible. Most of my listening falls in the 50 to 65 db average range these days and leans more acoustic than classic rock.

Very happy with the combination of the Rogue and the 1c's and the 2b's. At 100 watts/channel of tube power, it has more than enough reserve to open up the speakers as needed. I also find myself listening to more acoustic and female vocalists these days as opposed to classic rock. The Rogue also has a decent phono stage if you want to spin vinyl. It is not an "end game" amp for most people, but the Cronus Magnum offers a lot of bang for the buck, especially if you can pick up a nice used one.
  • I second the Cronus Magnum and 1C combo. The Cronus being a Common Ground design leaves no doubts about the compatibility with SDA.

With only one tube in the Preamp Section, tube rolling is not a Bank draining experience either.

• dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    Take a look at the Anthem Amp 1 if you can find one. Eliminates common ground issue and makes the 1Cs sing beautifully. I regret selling mine.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050