Calling experienced pool owners

Comments

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited September 2020
    I'm no pool expert, but have a buddy with an inground pool with hot tub adjacent to the pool, not free standing. Pool is about 16 ish by 40 ish, not sure.
    He says his gas bill when heating the pool is about $400 per month, just for the pool.
    I don't understand how a heat pump would be cheaper, but curious to know.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited September 2020
    The way it was explained to me is that the electric heat pump is more efficient but cannot create as many btu overall.

So a typical gas heater has an efficiency rating of 82. So it loses 18% of the heat it creates ie. not transferred to the pool water. But it can make more heat units than a heat pump. So if the gas heater produces 250k btu your only getting 205k btu to the water.

I think of it like bhp of an engine compared to rwhp of the car.

The heat pump if much more efficient as it can create 3-4 usable units of heat for each unit of electricity consumed, but it isn’t capable of producing the amount of btu as the gas heater. A typical heat pump makes about 130k btu.

So the trade off is making the pool hotter faster because the higher btu of the gas heater but done less efficiently and costs more for the wasted energy/heat/fuel.

Or the pool takes longer to heat with a heat pump but costs much less because of the efficient operation of the heat pump.

Another aspect we had to consider though is heat loss of the pool itself and if the lower output of the heat pump can effectively heat the pool when ambient temperatures drop and cross winds cool off the water. Our conclusion was the gas heater is a more effective heater but you’ll pay for it, but in conjunction with a solar blanket to insulate the pool the heat pump will maintain the pool temps we need and still be much cheaper to operate.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    You'll just have a shorter season too thus saving more money. Looking forward to the pics of the build
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    A solar cover will go a long way to economize your heater use. Temp is lost thru evaporation, covers greatly reduce evaporation. It'll also help keep your calcium levels in check.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Willow
    Fwiw we use liquid solar blanket. Safer if kids or pets accidentally fall in.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Willow wrote: »

huh...never heard of such a thing. Looks really interesting. We have one of those bubble wrap covers but it is a PITA. Do you think liquid blanket works?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Liquid blanket! I’ll try it tonight, while in bed, if I get a chill.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Willow
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Willow wrote: »

huh...never heard of such a thing. Looks really interesting. We have one of those bubble wrap covers but it is a PITA. Do you think liquid blanket works?

I think it does used it every year except this year and I've been having to top up the pool quite a bit
  • Willow
    rdu7obxhrvry.jpg
    This is how they tapped into my gas.
  • They brought the pool kit today, but still no hole in the ground.
    32bxkn0cedlp.jpeg
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Baby steps Jeremy, There must be an environment study first before you wipe out all those endangered grasshoppers and crickets....
  • Willow
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Baby steps Jeremy, There must be an environment study first before you wipe out all those endangered grasshoppers and crickets....

And to be sure that no grass blades are harmed.
  • I hear you there. My lawn is looking great right now, but it’s about to trashed.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    You should set up an elaborate excavation camp in the middle of the pool, and dig a little hole with a garden trowel, and when they arrive tell them you were getting a head start to help them out. Bonus points if you setup a folding table with plans drawn out.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    LMAO 😂😂😂
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Here's a great YouTube channel for pool info:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNgsSPdGSsja_Y2ZmVFaDKg

They also have a forum.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Awesome! Thanks Steve.
  • With all the rain we have had this month (prolly 10") I had to add a bag of salt. Water level is high and now we are polishing the water... I am now ready for the winter... B)

dzynabgmsiyc.jpg
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Nice! Your pool looks fantastic!
  • vg1y1mta20x4.jpg

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Your place always looks pristine Mikey! I always like seeing homes with pride of ownership. Note to self, never break into your pool with a guard dog on duty.
  • charley96 wrote: »
    Your place always looks pristine Mikey! I always like seeing homes with pride of ownership. Note to self, never break into your pool with a guard dog on duty.
    Tommy would prolly

get you a towel...

• msg
    "NO, WAIT!"
    I disabled signatures.
  • Wait? That’s all we’ve been doing.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Have fun. I have to say it looks strange not seeing fences separating all the yards. Funny how different parts of the country have different attitudes towards property.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited October 2020
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Have fun. I have to say it looks strange not seeing fences separating all the yards. Funny how different parts of the country have different attitudes towards property.

Yes we like not having the fences in our circle. Lots of green space behind our homes; very park like. However we will of course have our pool area fenced in.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Some say waking up to a dead body in you pool Sunday morning is population control.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • msg
    Sort of like making tea, in a way.
    I disabled signatures.