DSW PRO 600 Not Working

drselect
drselect Posts: 664
edited June 2014 in Troubleshooting
Would greatly appreciate some help. About 2 months ago my DSW PRO 600 started making a noise and then would produce a large thump noise with out the AVR being on. It would do this several times at random intervals. I discounted it from the AVR and unplugged it. Went back several days latter and plugged every thing in and turned it on. It didn't make any noises so I tried watching a movie. At first it seemed fine but then it started making random noises again. And finally another thump. Stopped the movie unplugged everything waited for several minutes and plugged everything in turned it on and the green light would come on for a while and would then go red. Did this several times and then the light just stayed red.

I purchased the sub from Polks ebay store as a refirb. I did contact the Polks CS and as expected it was out of warranty. Options were to buy a new amp for it or get maybe look at a DSW 505. Really would like to keep this sub but not really wanting to spend the $ right now for the new amp. So having nothing to lose I finally got around to popping open the hood and taking look see hoping something would jump out at me. Below are a few of the pictures. Anything not look right? Can't really tell if any of the caps are bad. Input greatly appreciated.

DSW 600 1.jpg
DSW 600 2.jpg
DSW 600 3.jpg

Thanks for your help.
Post edited by drselect on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited June 2014
    First pic, C7, that cap is cooked. Second pic, those caps are leaking. Third pic, those wires are cooked. Diagnosis, you need a new amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• drselect
    edited June 2014
    F1nut wrote: »
    First pic, C7, that cap is cooked. Second pic, those caps are leaking. Third pic, those wires are cooked. Diagnosis, you need a new amp.
    Is it worth trying to replace the bad parts? Not an export with a solder iron and I have gotten in over my head before but willing to try new things. Also, what contributes to leaking caps?
  • F1nut
    edited June 2014
    Is it worth trying to replace the bad parts?

Something failed, don't know what looking at it, but it caused a lot of heat. Just replacing the caps isn't going to fix the main problem.
    Also, what contributes to leaking caps?

In this case, excessive heat.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited June 2014
    Buy another subwoofer. Imho...not worth fixing. You can find good subs on your local craigslist for under 500.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • drselect
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for the replies.
    Thought it was worth a shot at fixin. Not really adjusting to well to the use it for a while tell it breaks then through it away approach to things. Also a little upset that it only lasted a couple of years. Had thought about another sub but would like to keep it in the polk family if possible.
  • F1nut
    edited June 2014
    You don't have to throw the sub away, just replace the amp.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited June 2014
    He could replace the amp if he's so inclined, but it only becomes cost effective to do it himself. If he has to send it out somewhere and pay for someone else to do it, plus shipping ....might as well buy another then.

Up to the OP, and how comfortable he is in his own abilities.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • drselect
    edited June 2014
    tonyb, appreciate your comments. I have pulled the amp out to take pictures and contacted polk about replacement amp. The cost is just over half of what I bought the Sub for originally. But didn't really want to spend that much money at this time. Also I don't drive this sub hard, don't like to or need to have house move when listening to movies, so a bit disappointed that the sub only lasted this long. So not sure if I should put that much money back into it or go another route. Was hoping to be able to try to fix it but will agree with F1Nut it appears to be beyond that. My "through it out" comments were also directed more at if I went a different route and got another sub.
  • RABB1T
    RABB1T Posts: 2
    I had the same issue with the amp in my DSW600 Sub. I contacted Polk and they gave me a number for a guy named Walter and he was located in Mississauga Ontario. So I called Walter and he refered me to a guy by the name of Sam. I called Sam and explained my issue with the sub, he said the DSW600 amp had been discontinued but the DSW660 amp works just the same.
    Sam had the amp in stock and it was priced @ $180 plus tax in CDN dollars.

The whole thing took about an hour from the time i called Polk to the time I had the new amp in my hands.

Sam was very helpful If your in Canada contact him, he can be reached @ Morgan Technology 905 890 1033.
  • 5wt0odf3cula.jpg

THE SPEAKER EXCHANGE
    8217 N NEBRASKA AVE, TAMPA, FL 33604
    PH: 813-237-4800 • TOLL FREE: 800-849-6972

I had to replace two of my DSW660 with new amps. Works great sounds great. I still have one left for a rainy day... LOL
  • THE PART # IS... RE6637-1