Is Pioneer Elite DV-38A worth 100.00 now?

Tony M
Tony M Posts: 11,009
edited December 2010 in Electronics
I have this Pioneer Elite DV-38A Player at a store here for around 100.00.

I've researched it and it was a great DVD player and it plays the extinct DVD-A discs.

I have a little extra $$ and I already have a HDCD player, SACD player and now the Bluray player. Do I need this too? I'm thinking it was a highly engineered player for CD's to, and what the heck, if it plays with a clear and open and nuetral or slightly warm sound , it should be worth it on those merits.I know it works and it's in mint cond.

Any input to push me to move on this beautiful piece would be appreciated.;)

Attached is a link to it from the net..

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/Blu-rayDisc+DVD/EliteDVDPlayers/DV-38A
Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
Post edited by Tony M on

Comments

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited May 2010
    Most Definately worth $100 but do you need another player?
  • Tony M
    edited May 2010
    Not really. I forgot to add this could be for a friend also.

A good friend loves his pioneer elite stuff and I was thinking about this as a present for his great friendship over the years.

I'd like to hear it myself for a week or two first though.:D
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited May 2010
    Then buy it.It's build like tank and has nicities like using two separate linear power supplies for the analog and digital sections,not the cheap swicthing supplies usually found in DVD and universal players.
  • Tony M
    edited May 2010
    I'm going to check and see if it's still there tomorrow.;)
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited May 2010
    Not really. I forgot to add this could be for a friend also.

A good friend loves his pioneer elite stuff and I was thinking about this as a present for his great friendship over the years.

I'd like to hear it myself for a week or two first though.:D
    I sure wouldn't mind being your friend ;)
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • Tony M
    edited May 2010
    I talked to him tonight and his receiver does have those wood sides and he was raving again how sweet his VSX-95 is still sounding.:p

Yeh, I think I'll do it if the player is still at the store. I'll let you guys know tomorrow about it.;)
  • Tony M
    edited May 2010
    Thanks FTGV, TECKNOKID...Maybe sometime in the future.

I bought it.

My friend should be happy with this. He might get it Thurs..;)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited May 2010
    Thats one hell of a cd player as well. years ago the high end market was snatching these up and using them as cd players or transports.
    I love this player. I would buy it for 100.00 allday
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Tony M
    edited May 2010
    Mantis,
    That's the kind of help/knowledge I was searching for.

He has a great Jazz CD collection and come to think of it, I found him 50 CDs at a yard sale and called him with names and he said , heck yeah, he wanted all there was. The previous owner of the CDs was BB Kings' private pilot for many years.He also had an awsome Akai system that I brought home. His brother kept all the reel to reel tapes though.

My friend likes the New York jazz from the 60's. He's in his 70's and saw those people in the clubs in New York where he worked all his working life.And he just loves that era. It's a little to crazy style of jazz for me right now, that's why he has those 50 discs. Oh yeah, the previous owner took exc. care of all his stuff before his passing. It's great that one man is enjoying the collection of CDs he valued so much. Those boxs of reel to reel tapes has had my mind wondering from time to time as to what artists were on them besides BB King.

My friend has an older Elite receiver that matches this era of player too.;)
    He should be very happy to pair them together.

He also spins his great vinyl collection on his Technics SL1200 MK2 and it sounds fantastic.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Very nice story on the owner Tony, this add to your experience over getting your friend his goodies. I thinbk the DV38 had a hefty price tag originally so I guess 100$ is a steal ;) Let us know how your friend react... I think that if he doesn't know yet, he'll surely realize how fortunat to have a friend like you :)

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • Tony M
    edited May 2010
    He came over today and when I thanked him for helping me thru a tough time and then just being a great friend, I said I had a gift for him. When he saw what it was, he smiled alot and said that it would be a great match to his receiver. I said yeh, I know. He said it's like a 4 or 500.00 player right? No... more like 2K when it was new but that was 9 yrs. ago but I think it should play Cds and DVDs pretty good still.

He's supposed to meet me for lunch tomorrow and say whether he heard any difference from the Elite changer he owns. That's if he gets it hooked up tonight.

I tested it yesterday and man what a sweet player it is! I'll keep the next one if I see another in mint cond. for 100.00 or close to it. The remote didn't even look like it was touched nor did the player either.

It was a great find and went to a great friend.;)
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    I guess this should be good Karma going back to you enventually ;)
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • Tony M
    edited May 2010
    I Think I've been paid in advance by life but have had some BS to overcome here and there and accept what I can't do anthing about.

I just can't win a karma on this forum for some reason..:confused:
  • Tony M
    edited December 2010
    I juess I can win a karma on this forum. Great ones too!!

My turn to karma very soon.
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited December 2010
    I still dream of an entire system made up of these wood side Pioneer Elite pieces. Some of the best-looking gear ever made in my opinion.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • mantis
    edited December 2010
    I still dream of an entire system made up of these wood side Pioneer Elite pieces. Some of the best-looking gear ever made in my opinion.

I wish I had Pictures I did a full Elite Wood side panel system years ago. It was beautiful . Receiver , CD mega changer , DVD player , Tuner and amp. I was in heaven and it sounded awesome running Mirage OM series speakers.
    Dan
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited December 2010
    mantis wrote: »
    I wish I had Pictures I did a full Elite Wood side panel system years ago. It was beautiful . Receiver , CD mega changer , DVD player , Tuner and amp. I was in heaven and it sounded awesome running Mirage OM series speakers.

I might start piecing that stuff together come the new year. I'm ready for a change. :smile:
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited December 2010
    Tony, also keep an eye out for a Pioneer AVI 59, You can pick these up now for about a buck and a half, plays DVD,CD,SACD,DVD AUDIO, great player,great upscaling too. Cheers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mantis
    edited December 2010
    I might start piecing that stuff together come the new year. I'm ready for a change. :smile:

I still have my Pioneer Elite 300 disc CD mega changer with wood side panels. I keep it just because. It' not in my system and has not been for many years. It's in it's original box with the manual and remote. I have no desire to do anything with it except own it. Maybe one day I'll pull it out , load it up and spin some disc's , it's a beautiful looking piece of gear.
    Dan
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Tony M here is a listing to bring your 2010 thread back to enjoy.

Pioneer Elite DV-38A DVD/CD - Like New $375.00
    l8qbveg7q11w.png

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649648135-pioneer-elite-dv-38a-dvdcd-like-new/
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Tony M
    edited August 2020
    Well...this is another blast from the past. :)

Yup, good ol' Mr. Paul.

Thanks for reminding me. Once in a while he brought up that player's performance/sound.

Since then I gifted him a Pioneer Elite DV-09 player. He uses this model now.
    He absolutely loves it performance too. Funny, it was also 100.00 but off of Craig's list this time. Just 2 miles away from here too.

vbv9x5vsid2f.png

I had a DV-09 already that I got for 50.00 otherwise I would've kept it. Craig's list buy also. It was 20 miles away.

Both came with perfect remotes. He plays his almost every day, all day. Me, I've played my DV-09 maybe a few times in years. I always played my Ultech CDP-100 player. It's quite the player too! <3

BUT...I just put together 3 systems and my main system has the DV-09 player in it now. I've played 2 Blue man group CDs the other day. It sounded fantastic through the NAD C370 int. and SRS2s and/or Newform Research 645RB (?) speakers!

I had planned on an all Pioneer Elite system one day. I have quite a few pieces to do it with. I have a mega changer also( :) ), DVD/CD 5 disc changer, one disc drawer DVD/Blu-ray/CD
    player X 2, A big DVD/CD single disc player and one BIG fairly newer NICE elite receiver.

Another one of my "to do" plans. ;)B)

Thanks for bringing this thread out of the VAULT. :pB)