Denon 3805 and PS4 - digital audio?

So I moved recently, and when listening to my setup, it just doesn't sound the same as in a past life.

My denon reads Dolby Digital but I recently played a Polk Demo DVD and it just didn't really sound that great. Is there an internal setting I'm missing on either the Denon or PS4 for audio?

I am using fiber optic cable for the digital since the 3805 doesn't have HDMI.

I remember my auto used to switch to DTS or DD depending on the DVD playing. Now, it just reads DD regardless.

Is my wiring crossed perhaps?
Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
Stuff...

RTi12's - front
CSi5 - center
FXi3's - surrounds
RTi4's - surrounds
SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
Denon 3805
Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Since you just moved, any chance your PS4 did an update when you reconnected it?
    It seems like there is something amiss with a setting in the PS4. That's my best guestimate anyway.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Since you just moved, any chance your PS4 did an update when you reconnected it?
    It seems like there is something amiss with a setting in the PS4. That's my best guestimate anyway.

I'm going to check it out tonight. Good suggestion.
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• MrNightly
    Ya so my receiver is only showing DTS neo now... I am not sure what's going on.
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited August 2020
    Have went through the Denon 3805? I know it also has a room correction, could it be on, off or flat? Have you ever hooked up a mic and used the room correction software?

The Denon may not be getting the dts signal. That may be why you get DTS neo. That's the pro-logic like side of DTS.

I have a 3805 and when I bought it new the mic was an additional 50.00. Many buyers didn't buy the mic.
  • MrNightly
    I think I figured it out.. it was a secondary setting in the PS4. Only found under the option button on the controller. Very strange but it seemed to fix the audio to bitstream.

Night and day difference from pro logic/neo to DTS/DD.

I'm going to have to upgrade to an avr soon that has HDMI lol. I just love my Denon sound.
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805