Forever pick up truck owner, but I’m leaning towards…

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Can you still get studded snow tires? In some states?

I run studs, Colorado. Why is because it often gets warm enough during the day to melt a lot of snow which then refreezes after the sun goes down.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Not to derail but my GF bought a new Jeep Cherokee with the 2.0L turbo. I'm not a fan of the styling but if it's anything like it's predecessors it's built like a tank. She is getting 26-28 mpg and the thing has buckets of power! I was like, with a 2.0L this things got to be a dog but I was way wrong. The only thing I don't like about it is the thing shuts off automatically when you are at a stop light and starts back up when you take your foot off the brake. That technology to me is just crazy weird.

Some of these cars can have that feature turned off in the computer.
    it may have a button you can engage after starting to disable it,
    and many handheld aftermarket tuners let you kill the feature all together.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,021
    edited August 2020
    Can you still get studded snow tires? In some states?

You can get 'em here (and in VT).
    Heck, a coupla years ago, my son (who was visiting) and I went used car shopping -- for him. He test drove an old, cheap Honda FIT that was on the used car lot at our Honda dealer, and I went along for the ride. The ride was fine but the car was noisy in an odd way that I couldn't quite place, and the ride was a little... gritty. When we got back to the dealer, I got out of the car, looked at the left front tire and I said "Oh. I see why it was so noisy!".

Studded tires all around.

This was in July.

B)

EDIT: For serious winter tyres :) Nokians, baby!
    Blizzaks are OK.

EDIT^2: For the record, he ended up buying a newer, nicer (and 'spensiver) used FIT closer to his home (VA). He still has the car, and he still loves it. I like it too. :)

c89h6771m3vv.jpg

• Nightfall
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    EDIT: For serious winter tyres :) Nokians, baby!

Hakkabluhblahlittabluhbluh

• ADJ
    ADJ Posts: 46
    [quote= Its called a "rollin'stop". You have to time it correctly or you trade paint with the guy in front of you. That, so called, safety feature then becomes useless... ;) [/quote]

It's called a start/stop or stop/start system and it has nothing to do with safety. It's supposed to reduce your fuel consumption and emissions.

Rollin'stop is when you decide all the stop signs with white borders are optional. :)

• mhardy6647
    edited August 2020
    ADJ wrote: »

It's called a start/stop or stop/start system and it has nothing to do with safety. It's supposed to reduce your fuel consumption and emissions.

Rollin'stop is when you decide all the stop signs with white borders are optional. :)

Yes, indeed -- solves the engine stop "problem" though, does it not? B)
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    You do what you want at a red light, I’ll do what I want. All I know is, my bumper has a crap load of paint on it from other vehicles.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    mrbiron wrote: »
    You do what you want at a red light, I’ll do what I want. All I know is, my bumper has a crap load of paint on it from other vehicles.

It's like a collection.

:|
  • mhardy6647
    Oh, back on topic.
    I had a 2011 Ford Fiesta with a 5-speed manual. Bought it when they first came out (summer 2010). Loved it. But it wasn't the best possible vehicle for me when we moved to northern NH. Replaced it with the aforementioned RAV-4 (bought used from a family friend who had just given up driving due to age), rather quickly followed by the Soobie... because... well, part of the year, I have to deal with a road like this.

16600422308_f341115e97_b.jpgDSC_0266 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The adorbs little Fiesta didn't like going down, or up, the hill very much during Mud Season. :|

Gave it to our daughter & son-in-law. They live up this-a-ways, too -- but at least their road is paved. :)

• mhardy6647
    edited August 2020
    oh, speaking of Jeeps (and I've mentioned this before on these forums). Neighbor runs a pretty tarted up Jeep in off-road events. Drives it on the street, too. One slippery, snowy February morning (2019), he lost control of it turning into his driveway and slid into a tree.

Low speed. Very low speed.

Totaled the Jeep. Bent frame. In fairness, it was an older one. He limped down the hill to our driveway and left it for a wrecker to haul away. He did tell me why it was there :)

beljudkfyd48.png

He has a newer one now. So far, so good (i.e., made it through last winter).
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited August 2020
    That’s an old TJ. No electronic traction control goodies in that one. The KO2s are decent tires though, but not much help on ice. Good thing he was in a solid frame Jeep (albeit rusted) and not a Subaru. He could have died.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    brakes are for sissies.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 996
    brakes are for sissies.

I don't know about that, but they are overrated for sure. Who needs brakes when you have airbags!

McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • mhardy6647
    brakes are for sissies.
    mark090852 wrote: »
    I don't know about that, but they are overrated for sure. Who needs brakes when you have airbags!

... or gravel, for that matter...

k36u67iziaiq.png
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Owned a 99 TJ (bought new). Worse vehicle I ever owned by far. Poor build quality. Constant issue (mechanical and electrical). Rusted quickly. Steering wheel had tons of play. At 80k miles the engine started banging so I traded it in.

I liked the Jeep for what it was, but will never buy another one.

Agree with others on the Pilot. I have a 2012 for a family vehicle and love it. Very comfortable and reliable. 3rd row is actually usable, and there's still trunk space when it is up.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    If you decide on a small car then I suggest a Mazda3. I bought my 2005 Mazda3 in October 2004, and it still runs great. So far, I have had no major issues with it, and only a couple minor issues.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 862
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

EDIT: Jeeps are horrific. Even the folks I know who love them (and there are many of those up here, too) will tell you how much they love them even as they describe the expensive and numerous times they failed, stranded them, rusted away, etc., etc. I don't get it.

I have owned 5 Jeeps and have driven them hard. I've never had to spend a penny for non warrantied repairs and they have never failed me. This is my current one.

50moc3srxkcw.jpg
    tbn6q7jvq404.jpg

Damn nice Rubicon there
  • mhardy6647
    BlueFox wrote: »
    If you decide on a small car then I suggest a Mazda3. I bought my 2005 Mazda3 in October 2004, and it still runs great. So far, I have had no major issues with it, and only a couple minor issues.

Our son was really hip on the 3 hatchback -- I think he really liked the ones he test drove, but I'm thinking maybe the price (used) dissuaded him. It's been a couple-three years, so I don't really remember now.

There are a couple of them (Mazda 3 hatchbacks, that is) that live up the hill from us.
    Draw your own conclusions ;)

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Spent a couple hours poking around on the dealership lot this morning, which included 45 minutes before they opened. My sales person could not have been less helpful, less informative and less enthusiastic
    Some these days think less is more. But not when it comes to selling a car, IMHO

She must be hourly and not commission based, whatsoever

Coming from a 190,000 mile 2003 Siverado,The Subaru Ascent appears fantastic.
    Quiet interior, responsive engine and stop on a dime breaking.
    What’s not to like? Except the price, perhaps. But again they’re offering 0% APR on 2020 models and only 0.9 on 2021s

Truth be told, I’d rather drop 40k on audio.

In case you haven’t picked up on it, I’m going into this kicking and screaming. But I am rationalizing the position I’m in ... and coming around to see the reality of the situation😎

I’ve got an appointment on Monday at another dealership.

AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Good luck bro
    Dropping dimes on a newcarsuxx
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Nightfall
    What's wrong with your Silverado?

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    edited August 2020
    [quote="GlennDog;c-2604951
    Truth be told, I’d rather drop 40k on audio.
    [/quote]

Now you're talking!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • There was a time when the AWD set Subaru apart, but nowadays not so much. Looks like a solid car though. If a 3row crossover is your thing you should drive the Mazda CX-9.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,511
    +1 for Mazda. But the CX-9 might seem a little dated compared to the Ascent. I had a Mazda Protege 5 (precursor to the Mazda 3 hatch) which gave me zero problems over 120,000 miles. Excellent handling and fuel economy, but a little underpowered.
  • mhardy6647
    I hate buying cars -- which is why I try to do it, at most, once a decade.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    There was a time when the AWD set Subaru apart, but nowadays not so much. Looks like a solid car though. If a 3row crossover is your thing you should drive the Mazda CX-9.

Or an mdx
  • GlennDog
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Good luck bro
    Dropping dimes on a newcarsuxx
    Appreciate the thought . . . Thanks!

Nightfall wrote: »
    What's wrong with your Silverado?

I've been adding a little PS fluid each week. The PS line and oil cooler in front of the rad is bad . . . . Then the brake pedal started to "not hold" the PU in place. I though the master cylinder was going bad. Then Bam! Brake pedal to the metal. Blew out a brake line

While guess-timating the extent of the damage/repair, the tech said bleeders on 3 of the4 calipers are seized and extensive corrosion everywhere. This seems to be a common problem with older GMs. Especially here in SE Michigan where the local municipalities LOVE throwing salt in the winter. No snow needed either. Just a hint of the white stuff and they throw other white stuff (salt for melting snow/ice in case some don't know). Salt is very efficient at oxidizing metal

The shop recommends a new vehicle and I concur. They'll repair/patch rusted lines as long as I wanna throw $$ at her. I'd rather throw $$ at a stripper! :#

I'll be looking into vocational schools that may have a "cars to learn on" class. Maybe they can do the work for cheap. PU runs good, too. Just changed the oil with Mobile 1

New calipers & brake, oil and gas lines are cheap-ish. It's all labor

Nuff 4 now . . . Peace!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Yeah I had to replace my rusted brake lines on my 2000 Silverado. It sucks that they didn't use SS on them.
  • GlennDog
    50moc3srxkcw.jpg
    tbn6q7jvq404.jpg

Very sharp ride!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    monepolk wrote: »
    Yeah I had to replace my rusted brake lines on my 2000 Silverado. It sucks that they didn't use SS on them.

I don't know if they can use stainless steel for brake lines, but you can get copper replacement lines.