Tidal

kevhed72
kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
edited August 2020 in Going Digital
nvmd....Im just going to subscribe. Found plenty of info. in this forum below

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Qobuz sounds better, is $5 bucks cheaper, and their catalog is now really close to tidal’s...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Building your own digital library wipes em all out but that’s another can of 🐛 🐛
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • rooftop59
    edited August 2020
    30,000 albums at $10 a pop = $300,000 ($15 = $450,000). Tidal or Qobuz at $20 a month for 20 years = $4,800. I got piano lessons to pay for and kids to send to college...but yes I agree that ripping your own flac files sounds slightly better.
    Building your own digital library wipes em all out but that’s another can of 🐛 🐛

Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    30,000 albums at $10 a pop = $300,000 ($15 = $450,000). Tidal or Qobuz at $20 a month for 20 years = $4,800. I got piano lessons to pay for and kids to send to college...but yes I agree that ripping your own flac files sounds slightly better.

Slightly better depends on listening source! That and ripping formula! 😉
    It’s all good!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    I agree, Qobuz sounds better.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    Qobuz sounds better. I'm still having issues with frequent *stuttering* at the beginning of songs (not every time) with a Windows 10, fully updated and lots of memory and processing speed computer. Tech support doesn't let on that there is any problem on their end. TIDAL has NEVER done this, not even one time!
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    Speaking of Tidal, you can jump on Hifi for a year for 50% via Best Buy right now.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tidal-hifi-yearly-subscription-digital/6407163.p?skuId=6407163

Apparently it was $100 not long ago.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • rooftop59
    Speaking of Tidal, you can jump on Hifi for a year for 50% via Best Buy right now.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tidal-hifi-yearly-subscription-digital/6407163.p?skuId=6407163

Apparently it was $100 not long ago.

That's a great deal!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • rooftop59
    Qobuz sounds better. I'm still having issues with frequent *stuttering* at the beginning of songs (not every time) with a Windows 10, fully updated and lots of memory and processing speed computer. Tech support doesn't let on that there is any problem on their end. TIDAL has NEVER done this, not even one time!

Their desktop app sucks big time, which is hard to accept given how widely used the product is now. But either on my iPhone or through Roon it works great! I can't recall if I ever tried it on a Squeezebox using LMS...you can grab one of those pretty cheap and in my limited experience they sound better than a PC...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Gardenstater
    edited August 2020
    Wow that's a great deal. So $120 of TIDAL Hi Fi for 1 year ($10 per mo.) after which it automatically renews at what price?.......probably the $20 per mo. that I am currently paying I would imagine (still would save $120).
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater

Their desktop app sucks big time, which is hard to accept given how widely used the product is now. But either on my iPhone or through Roon it works great! I can't recall if I ever tried it on a Squeezebox using LMS...you can grab one of those pretty cheap and in my limited experience they sound better than a PC...

I still have to learn about streamers. Is a Squeezebox hard to set up? and what the heck is LMS? :)
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Love Tidal! Never had any issues with their desktop or Android app. I have the Master subscription and couldn't be happier.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • rooftop59

I still have to learn about streamers. Is a Squeezebox hard to set up? and what the heck is LMS? :)

You can run a SQueezebox one of two main ways: Logitech Media Server (LMS) which you download on your computer, or Roon which is also on your computer. LMS is free, while Roon costs $10 a month. Once you download LMS on your computer you can also go to mysqueezebox.com and do some setup there. Logitech no longer supports these devices, but lots of diy folks still do. You can set up third party apps for Tidal, Spotify, and Qobuz, and last time I tried they all worked fine. Of course, you can also stream your own files on your hard drive. Scott @msg knows a lot more about how to get you up and running...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Gardenstater
    rooftop59 Thank you! If there's a chance of eliminating the Qobuz desktop app difficulties AND a chance of improved sound quality as well, then I'm all in. I would love to get rid of the packet noise issue from my computer. It's BARELY audible but when I'm listening to quiet passages in classical music, near field, I sometimes pick up the 8kHz and 16kHz tones as audible.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    Wow that's a great deal. So $120 of TIDAL Hi Fi for 1 year ($10 per mo.) after which it automatically renews at what price?.......probably the $20 per mo. that I am currently paying I would imagine (still would save $120).
    That's a big question that I saw on another forum too. My current discounted ($4/month) trial period ends in 10 days, so I might just jump on this one.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Thank you! If there's a chance of eliminating the Qobuz desktop app difficulties AND a chance of improved sound quality as well, then I'm all in. I would love to get rid of the packet noise issue from my computer. It's BARELY audible but when I'm listening to quiet passages in classical music, near field, I sometimes pick up the 8kHz and 16kHz tones as audible.

Hard to find one in the original box like this for this price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-Squeezebox-Touch-Network-Music-Player/233656537843?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=e90304a7b4d949b4b3f88cf66406a7a7&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&mehot=none&sd=233656537843&itm=233656537843&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2380057&brand=Logitech&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:1d65b429-dce4-11ea-8aa4-0610a2e74a40|parentrq:e49be6951730a0f11d36020bffffe968|iid:1
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Gardenstater
    @rooftop59 I guess I have a couple newbie questions regarding that Squeezebox Touch.

1) Would I be able to still use my iFi nano iDSD DAC which has a USB digital input only? Or is there no way to bypass the internal DAC of the Squeezebox?

2) Would it eliminate the packet noise issue which seems to come from a noisy computer USB bus?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • rooftop59
    @rooftop59 I guess I have a couple newbie questions regarding that Squeezebox Touch.

1) Would I be able to still use my iFi nano iDSD DAC which has a USB digital input only? Or is there no way to bypass the internal DAC of the Squeezebox?

2) Would it eliminate the packet noise issue which seems to come from a noisy computer USB bus?

Yes and yes. You install an applet called enhanced digital audio on the touch which allows USB audio out and hi Rez audio.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Gardenstater

Yes and yes. You install an applet called enhanced digital audio on the touch which allows USB audio out and hi Rez audio.

What I'm seeing elsewhere (Squeezebox Touch Manual and Audiokarma forum) is that the SBT only has digital optical and coax outputs but no USB. Unfortunately, my USB DAC only has a digital coax output but no input (except the USB) :( Or does the applet you are talking about turn the USB input (normally for accessing audio files on a USB drive?) into an output? The problem is that I currently have no preamp in my system and I'm using the headphone amplifier in the iFi DAC as a preamp and it has the needed analog volume control as well. Plus I think it's a pretty darn good DAC.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/524316/Logitech-Squeezebox-Touch.html?page=6#manual

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/squeeze-box-touch-vs-true-dac.783777/

wen96f9jsc73.png
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • rooftop59

What I'm seeing elsewhere (Squeezebox Touch Manual and Audiokarma forum) is that the SBT only has digital optical and coax outputs but no USB. Unfortunately, my USB DAC only has a digital coax output but no input (except the USB) :( Or does the applet you are talking about turn the USB input (normally for accessing audio files on a USB drive?) into an output? The problem is that I currently have no preamp in my system and I'm using the headphone amplifier in the iFi DAC as a preamp and it has the needed analog volume control as well. Plus I think it's a pretty darn good DAC.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/524316/Logitech-Squeezebox-Touch.html?page=6#manual

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/squeeze-box-touch-vs-true-dac.783777/

wen96f9jsc73.png

Sorry, I'm in a hurry but you're not listening (or perhaps I'm rushing and not explaining well). You can install 3rd party apps on the SBT. One is called Enhanced Digital Output (EDO). Once you install that, USB becomes a digital output. And you can stream hi-rez files, which you cannot without the app. I have successfully installed the applet (as it is called) on three different SBT and have never had any problems. Lots of info on the web about how to do it...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Gardenstater
    edited August 2020
    OK sorry and thanks for confirming that the USB input becomes an output. There was absolutely nothing wrong with your explanation. Sorry for the skepticism on my part. I guess you can no longer use the USB as a connection to an external drive at the same time. Can't have it both ways! But that's not a problem for me really because I'm not currently ripping CD's to hard drive anyways. Thank you! I might just give it a try. It would also work well in the exercise room in wifi mode with a pair of powered speakers and subwoofer that I have that are small and would work nicely in there on the treadmill.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • rooftop59
    edited August 2020
    @Gardenstater

https://darko.audio/2012/05/enhanced-digital-output-applet-for-squeezebox-touch/

The brilliance of a streamer is that you keep the files on a hard drive connected to your computer and the LMS program on your computer sends them via your home network system to the SBT, so the USB input is moot for most people...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Gardenstater
    edited August 2020
    I read the article and I'll have to see if my iFi nano is a USB Audio Class 1.0 Asynchronous DAC. I have a feeling it is. Synchronous is the lower end? Anyway, the article says you just need to use an intervening powered USB hub to still get 192kHz and not have it be restricted to Redbook. No biggie. Thanks.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • rooftop59
    I read the article and I'll have to see if my iFi nano is a USB Audio Class 1.0 Asynchronous DAC. I have a feeling it is. Synchronous is the lower end? Anyway, the article says you just need to use an intervening powered USB hub to still get 192kHz and not have it be restricted to Redbook. No biggie. Thanks.

Nah...I just connect mine straight to the USB DAC, several different ones in fact, and at least through my cambridge 851d I get hi rez just fine. Your DAC is asynchronous, that is my headphone DAC, I like it a lot...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • bem
    bem Posts: 102
    Back to Tidal subscription. I had canceled my Tidal subscription last Dec because I found it to too expensive at about $20/month. I just signed up through Best Buy for $99 for 12 months. That’s $8.25/month for their top tier service. I’m using my same account as before except that the billing is managed by Best Buy. That’s even cheaper than Qobuz’s annual subscription price of $149.99. You do need to have a Best Buy account in order to get the $99 price. Otherwise it $120. There’s a very detailed thread about this on in Roon Labs Community Forums. All the details are there.
  • Gardenstater
    edited August 2020
    I might do this. If you cancel your current account I assume that you will have to use a different email, because that is assigned to your old one. I'm assuming that your old favorites and playlists will be gone and you can never access them again? Even if so, I may do this to save $140 which will pay for the Squeezebox Touch I bought on eBay if the guy will ever send it which is starting to seem fishy......long story lol. Anybody ever heard of an eBay seller telling someone that they will ship their item just as soon as eBay releases his funds.......which.....and this was the kicker.......will be any day now! And this after telling me he was going to ship it on Monday. Sorry....end rant.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • bem
    bem Posts: 102
    I didn’t have to use a different E mail. It’s my same account email and password as before. My old playlists were still there.
  • Gardenstater
    Thanks. I just cancelled my subscription which was going to auto renew on the 22nd. On the 23rd I'll create a BestBuy account and purchase the sub through them for $99. Hopefully I can apply it to my old account as others said they were able to, and keep all my favorites etc..
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    I don't know why I haven't tried this long ago....stunning
    n6mdm22rafdm.png