RIP Ted Shimkus

2»

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    RIP Ted, so sorry to hear about this.
    Wow, that last pic seems like it was two lifetimes ago.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    It appears Ted was a victim of COVID-19...😡.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    Prayers sent for family and friends
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    shack wrote: »
    It appears Ted was a victim of COVID-19...😡.

Seriously? I know he had a bunch of health issues, which wouldn't have helped.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Thank you for going and paying your respects to Ted.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ted and I jumped in that car for a demo at Polk HQ. God knows what the guy had in there for music, but we kept cranking it up until our guts were pounded with every bass hit. Ted was grinning from ear to ear and he swears my hair moved. Good times.
    hc04i7fqpmqt.jpg

Yes...had this been a video we could see your hair waving.... :o

pa7irar1j4pa.jpg

"Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Thank you to the OP for unfortunately starting this thread.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I'm sorry to hear this. I hadn't clicked on this thread because I thought it was about a celebrity I was unfamiliar with. I didn't recognize the name... before my time here.
    uz83ma1krgfa.png
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Far too young, but looks like he lived a rich and meaningful life. Much to be grateful for amidst the sadness. Rip Ted.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,908
    R.I.P.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    This is saddening.

I just remembered my first thread/post on this site where Ted had repeatedly answered my dumb questions and tried to steer me down the right path. Solid guy giving advice to a stranger on day 1...

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/1382114#Comment_1382114
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    A couple more pictures; one with Ted, one with George.

37xih5twu8px.jpg
    35pjqnrrj8zi.jpg

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Great stuff Ricardo
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    schwarcw wrote: »

Here is another from Polkfest '12. Ted has on his Michigan State sweatshirt, standing between Jesse and ESavinon.

8jz2610rh6kf.jpg

Sad, RIP Ted.

I think I took that picture Carl.... Quite a few years back I stored some speakers here Ted bought from another forum member. We had a nice visit when he picked them up. IIRC he was originally from this area.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    That was a great time....I'm pretty sure at that point hoosier21 and I probably were speaking gibberish.....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    TroyD wrote: »
    That was a great time....I'm pretty sure at that point hoosier21 and I probably were speaking gibberish.....

Oh so it was just the start of the night?!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Touche!
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Ricardo wrote: »
    That last picture at Lou's is priceless. Ted and George. Great times were had. Oh. And of course, Mark goofing around as usual :D

Yes, that was quite a crew in Jersey. Thanks to Lou for hosting. Had a lot of fun and all pictured are really great people.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    schwarcw wrote: »

Here is another from Polkfest '12. Ted has on his Michigan State sweatshirt, standing between Jesse and ESavinon.

8jz2610rh6kf.jpg

Sad, RIP Ted.

I think I took that picture Carl.... Quite a few years back I stored some speakers here Ted bought from another forum member. We had a nice visit when he picked them up. IIRC he was originally from this area.

Yes, Ted was from Chicago (or maybe a close suburb of Chicago). It said in his obit but I forget. We talked about his roots and how he would always consider Chicago his home. IIRC, he had a daughter somewhere near Madison, WI also. He talked about getting up "this" way quite often. I live in Rockford. Chicago proper is about 90 miles west of here and Madison is about 60 miles North of here.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!