New Magico M9 speaker

2»

Comments

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I might buy these ( or more likely the YG top end) if I made $5mil annually.
    But I think you are two low. I think the median (that would be avg so don’t jump down my throat if you are outside this) income for most of us audiophiles is $100-150k family avg. using the math presented, we would all own $20-30k towers, which is not the case for most.
    If I was retired and set without having to hold up a spouse or kids, yeah I’d stretch it.
    If I was a bachelor without the above, same.
    But since I have a family of four who are all into different stuff, less than 5% annual goes to this hobby. And that’s plenty enough....for now 😬
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Joey_V wrote: »
    In my opinion, I believe a budget 10-15% of annual income is an achievable number for most audiophiles....

I tend to agree with this just because I'm kinda in that range. Of course I hardly ever watch TV and have very few other hobbies any more (except maybe fishing). Looking at the reality of this hobby you need to consider enjoyment time / cost. I know people who buy expensive cars just to commute to work because two hours of every day is spent driving and they want to be comfortable. I know people who spend $100,000 on a boat and fishing equipment and may only use it 10-15 times a year.

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    VR3 wrote: »
    I think Wilson chronosonic is a good basis, around 500k I believe and they made less than 20 pairs

Nope
    They sold all 75.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    edited August 2020
    The moral of the story is that these speakers are for the true global 1% (or even top 0.5%). Not to mention that most of the ultra wealthy aren't tracking annual income, they are focused on network.

Just for fun, I did some quick math:
    1% on a global scale is a much larger group than most people realize, about 78M people.
    Even if you only capture 5% of the top 1% globally, you're still looking at 3.9M people. If you can get 5% of that 3.9M to purchase, well you've made 195,000 sales. So if you believe the market can bare 5% of the top 1% globally purchasing speakers over $700K, well you have a market capacity of over $146B. 1% of the top 1% still yields a $29B market. So the market exists... if you can get them to part with their money.

And in reality, some of buyers might be willing to purchase the same system twice so they can have the same comforts at each home. Not uncommon among the ultra wealthy. Because if you're buying these speakers, it's highly unlikely you only have one property.

Not top 1%, I believe you’re looking at top 0.1 or 0.05%.

Top 1% makes nowhere near to afford anything close to this.

Unless you have other global stats... you could be right though
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    edited August 2020
    joecoulson wrote: »
    I might buy these ( or more likely the YG top end) if I made $5mil annually.
    But I think you are two low. I think the median (that would be avg so don’t jump down my throat if you are outside this) income for most of us audiophiles is $100-150k family avg. using the math presented, we would all own $20-30k towers, which is not the case for most.
    If I was retired and set without having to hold up a spouse or kids, yeah I’d stretch it.
    If I was a bachelor without the above, same.
    But since I have a family of four who are all into different stuff, less than 5% annual goes to this hobby. And that’s plenty enough....for now 😬

It might appear like I undershot a little, but when you're making $5M, your non-disposable expenses remain stable typically.
    Most of your expenses go into asset accumulation.

For example, someone making $200,000 may have $50,000 disposable at the end of the year if they're lucky. Someone making $300,000 may have $100,000 disposable at the end of the year if they follow a similar course. Someone making $400,000 may have $150,000 disposable.

It just goes up from there. So while it may seem like $750,000 is 15% of $5MM and while that percentage may seem high to you or me, it's really well within a similar percentage of disposable income if you actually break down what you or I make as "normal" folk.

I am not sure what I spend on the hobby, probably less than 5% a year.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited August 2020
    Shouldn't the question have been how much would a person with a family and other financial obligations have to make to buy these speakers without saving for a significant time. I took it at face value and was thinking about my lifestyle I guess, if I made a million dollars a year I could save for these speakers easy. I'm not building a sweet deck or a bathroom or feeding kids and I don't care about many of the "finer things" as it were.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I suspect the answer is pocket change.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I took it at face value and was thinking about my lifestyle I guess, if I made a million dollars a year I could save for these speakers easy. I'm not building a sweet deck or a bathroom or feeding kids and I don't care about many of the "finer things" as it were.

giphy.gif
  • Joey_V
    edited August 2020
    Shouldn't the question have been how much would a person with a family and other financial obligations have to make to buy these speakers without saving for a significant time. I took it at face value and was thinking about my lifestyle I guess, if I made a million dollars a year I could save for these speakers easy. I'm not building a sweet deck or a bathroom or feeding kids and I don't care about many of the "finer things" as it were.

Always an exception to the rule.

But you are absolutely correct, if you really wanted to, you would be able to buy them with a salary of $1M per year.

The question at that point then becomes - can I visit you?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited August 2020
    Only if you don't mind my one bedroom house that doesn't have marble counters, a jacuzzi, heated driveway with a gate, expensive furniture, and world class art on the walls. And you're getting a microwave Banquet and Mt Dew for lunch. The speakers will sound awesome though.

Sounds fine to me. In fact you don't even have to give me any food at all. I regularly prioritize listening to music instead of eating food.
  • Nightfall
    edited August 2020
    It's been too long since I watched Step Brothers, is it on a steaming platform or do I need to get a Blu-ray?

Nevermind, I forgot i had the Blu-ray. Probably from Goodwill. Think I'll watch it this weekend.

• Joey_V
    Clipdat wrote: »
    xh3uhww0r9yg.jpg

Mmm so tasty

Sodium....
  • Nightfall
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Shark week

I'm going to play Moby Dick FOR REAL!

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I forgot to ask, do you like Guacamole?...
  • Nightfall
    Did we just become best friends? Do you want to go do karate in the garage?

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    ♫♪ This is how we do it ♫♪
    IT'S BAD IT'S SO BAD THERE'S BLOOD EVERYWHERE!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ilJT6QLn-k
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    maxward wrote: »
    And don’t forget a pair for the shop.

"Great garage speakers!"