Hook a Brother Up with a MW 7009 driver. (RT5 & RT8)

dcmeigs
dcmeigs Posts: 707
edited July 2020 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
I need one MW7009 driver from an RT5. Thanks
The world is full of answers, some are right and some are wrong. - Neil Young
Post edited by dcmeigs on

Comments

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    The RT-5 woofers have longevity issues. There are usually several on Ebay.
  • dcmeigs
    I’d rather try to buy from a Polkie first. Ebay is how I ended up needing one, dontcha know.
  • dcmeigs
    edited July 2020
    deleted
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    I bought a pristine pair of RT-5's about ten years ago locally. I really liked their sound. They are big bookies. After about two hours of low-moderate volume playing, I noticed a crackling in one woofer when playing CS&N Guinnevere. Played the same passage over and it reproduced the crackling. I then turned up the volume to maybe 80db max. and it was noticeable more often on other music. I bought a replacement MW-7006 and it was fixed. Even though I had to replace the woofer, the $50.00 I paid for the speakers was okay I guess.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    One of the moderators here once asked me to turn the driver 180° to stop the crackling. Guess what it worked :) He told me that some of the drivers got a bit of a sag and it would cause that noise.
    You've got nothing to lose give it a try. My son snagged a free pair of RT12's and since he turned the woofer 7 yrs ago no more problems.
  • dcmeigs
    This driver is locked up. I’ve removed the cone, voice coil and spider and then separated the magnet. The magnet had come unglued and pinched the voice coil. Rotation sounds like a good fix for rubbing but this was way worse. Thanks though.