In-Wall Speakers for Home Theater

scubalab
scubalab Posts: 3,101
So, it's been a while since changing anything in our theater, and I'm considering going to in-wall speakers for my front L/R. Current setup is:

Front L/R: Polk LSi7 (built into the wall in small cubbies). Although not ideal, I've got no complaints on the sound quality.
Center: Polk LSiM704
Surrounds: Polk 80 F/X-LS
Rears: Polk 700 LS

vmdo1g0p0c47.jpg

I'm finishing the room behind the front wall of the HT, and want to eliminate the 'boxes' that impose in the room for the cubbies for the LSi7s. I'm looking at two options, and maybe folks here can steer me in the better direction. Looks like the current in-wall L/R with the ring-radiator tweeter is the 265-LS. I also found a pair of LC265i speakers (new in open box) on eBay.

The best price I can find on the 265-LS is 234.99 + tax each (so $498.18). The LC265i (I assume are an older model) are $517.00 total. Were the LC265i better speakers than the current 265-LS and worth the few extra dollars? Or are the 265-LS the better choice? Does anyone know of any sales or clearances on either of these? This is something that wasn't planned for, so trying to keep the cost down.

As for installation, I know these can be installed without any enclosures in the wall, but would it be better to put something in the cavity to get the best sound quality and minimize sound in the room (guest bedroom) behind?

Lastly, thoughts on whether this would be an improvement, lateral move, or step down in sound quality.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    edited July 2020
    I am currently running all in ceiling and I love it.

I run definitive uiw rcs II for mains, rcs iii for the center and the 6.5str for surrounds.

Compared to traditional speakers, a regular 5.1 sounds like an atmos configuration being that everything is overhead. The projection capability of the rcs speakers is phenomenal. You would have a hard time guessing they were over head, plus no holes in your walls!

I use a pair of Polk 90rt in ceiling on the front porch and the definitive do have a better overall sound.

I haven't tried the lsi variations of in walls.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Keep in mind the box for in walls don't really do much for sound, they are infinite baffle speakers, so it's more of separating the front and back waves. Now some in wall speakers utilize enclosures for porting or the use of passive radiators, that's obviously a different scenario.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    As our DT’s do. ^

I can also attest to the Definitive RCS speakers as I run them as surrounds. I would totally do all if I didn’t have my 2ch setup on the same rig.
  • VR3
    What are the tree pics for? Did you install some rcs or in the woods? You're a baller
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    The DTs certainly sound tempting, but that would involve some rewiring to route the cables of the front stage to the ceiling. Something I'd rather not get into.

Out of curiosity Trey @VR3, what is the difference between the RCS ii and iii? You noted you have the ii's for L/R and the iii for the center. It would be nice to put the front stage in the ceiling and clean up the front wall. I have low ceilings (7'-4") in our theater - would that be of concern?

Also, How would these do with maintaining the Polks for surrounds and rears? I really can't get into the expense of upgrading all 7 speakers at this time.

And, Joe, stay out of that Poison Ivy! ;)
  • VR3
    The II has bigger mid bass drivers and a nicer tweeter than the iii, the iii has 4.25 versus 5.25 and a slightly smaller tweeter

They both however sound very good for movies.

They leave something to be desired for music however, but for movies and games, I have ko desire to go back to normal box speakers.

I think they would blend nicely with rt series or lsi as surrounds
  • joecoulson
    LOL, darn iphone grabbed two extra pics of a tree that almost took out my fence, user error?
  • VR3
    The totems talked you into this
  • joecoulson
    Ha. True. You want them?