Arcam sacd

erniejade
erniejade Posts: 6,288
https://www.hifinews.com/content/arcam-cds50-cdsacd-network-player

Looks like it might be worth checking out. Music Direct has them for #
$1200
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited July 2020
    What app does it use for streaming?

Edit from the manual regarding Networking Streaming:
    "Ensure the CDS50 is connected to your local network. Select ‘Media Browser’ from the home screen, the user will be presented with a list of devices available for browsing. Navigate the available libraries using the ' , < > keys on the remote.Network music playback may also be controlled from your computer, phone or mobile device using your favourite UPnP control point application."

Maybe it works with Arcam's MusicLife app? https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/musiclife/id963139521
  • Clipdat
    edited July 2020
    The internal layout and components don't wow me, and it's only 11 lbs.

arcam-cds50-cdsacd-network-player1.jpg

d056c71dbd1f9d3a9bacd83660e191c4.jpg
  • gfong
    gfong Posts: 1,079
    edited July 2020
    I have had one for about 6 months and really like it, makes cd's sound so good and SACD's have no issues (2 ch only). Allows to change between CD/SACD Hybrid mode but not on fly, have to go to menu and select SACD or CD level then play.

It is a bit limited as a Network player as it ONLY uses Arcam's Music Life app which allows you to stream what they have loaded on to it.

Here is what is on mine, Radio stations, Podcasts, TIDAL, Napster, Deezer, Qobus and HIGHRESAUDIO is what's available. Can't use Spotify if that is an issue, does not allow you to use any other apps for music. I have a TIDAL HIFI membership and it works flawless through the app.

USB situated on the back of the player supports 128GB USB 3.1 and of course can run any music off of your computer. Using this way is very clunky as the menu system for your computer is not user friendly. I have not tried recently but it may have changed and is better.

If you can find it on sale or A1 shape used I would recommend but not at full price. There are other SACD's players on the market that have better streamers that allow access and Google/Apple share support.

I am happy with what it offers and I can't say enough about the quality of how a regualr or red book cd sounds on this player. SACD's sound like SACD's which are mostly great sounding but CD's sound phenomenal.
  • Clipdat
    Cool, thanks for the mini review!
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    Clipdat wrote: »
    What app does it use for streaming?

Edit from the manual regarding Networking Streaming:
    "Ensure the CDS50 is connected to your local network. Select ‘Media Browser’ from the home screen, the user will be presented with a list of devices available for browsing. Navigate the available libraries using the ' , < > keys on the remote.Network music playback may also be controlled from your computer, phone or mobile device using your favourite UPnP control point application."

Maybe it works with Arcam's MusicLife app? https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/musiclife/id963139521
    I would not hold your breath on any long term reliability of the streaming app. Harman has been kicking around the idea of moving to one Harman app for all their lines with each unit having various functionality, but due to internal pissing contest of product managers I doubt this will every actually happen. As a result, it seems like they release new apps with every line of products, even within a single brand. JBL has over 10 apps active in the app store right now, and several have been abandoned from updates years ago. Arcam hasn't fallen to the same fate yet, but with two active apps already and being under the harman umbrella, I would expect them to fall to the same fate in the next 5 years.

Having said all that, SACD/CD players are hard to come by, especially at somewhat reasonable prices. That alone might drive some interest. But the network streaming honestly seems like an add in feature that was pushed by management more than something that was set out in the original brief.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs