Alternative to JRiver

I currently play FLAC files using a dedicated Dell lap top connected to a Dragonfly DAC. I find the JRiver software to be very confusing. I don’t want to commit the funds for Roon. Any suggestions for other software solutions?

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,310
    Music Bee, iTunes, foobar2000, etc.?
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I like media monkey as well, I got a lifetime license for $25 I think.

I will say that roon is awesome and 💯 worth it. I’m a cheapass so I tried to follow @msg and go back to squeezebox’s LMS but I missed roon too much and went back lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    rooftop59 wrote: »

I will say that roon is awesome and 💯 worth it. I’m a cheapass so I tried to follow @msg and go back to squeezebox’s LMS but I missed roon too much and went back lol...

Media Monkey has worked good for me too (for ripping). And I agree, Roon kicks ****.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Thorton wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Media Monkey has worked good for me too (for ripping). And I agree, Roon kicks ****.

I can't say a variation of butt!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • pelhamplace
    pelhamplace Posts: 111
    Thanks, I appreciate the input.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I am roon'd for life...
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • 98Badger
    98Badger Posts: 317
    What are you having trouble with in JRiver? I’ve been using it for years. Can’t say I’m an expert, but feel free to message me and I will help if I can.

Otherwise, I have used mediamonkey a long time ago and found it pretty user friendly.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    With JRiver, just use the audio feature. Primarily, use the JRemote App on your phone to play your music. My library is on a Windows computer: Music/Artist/Album/Tracks (standard Windows file structure) ripped from CDs and downloaded from HDtracks. My setup and path is Dell desktop/JRiver to PS Audio DSD DAC to Integrated Amplifier which is not unlike your path.

The only "complicated" thing I have done is streaming to a ChromeCast Audio device in another room. I do change the formats of the music files sent to and played by the DAC from time-to-time. I don't change the FLAC formats in the Music Library. I do create playlists with tracks across the library.

Windows is probably the worst detriment to everything operating smoothly with its updates and other computer stoppages which causes the JRemote App to loose its connection over your network.

I have used it for a long time and tried most all of the other features (TV, Image, iPhone, Video, etc). All those features are too much. You don't have to update JRiver every time a new release is announced. Most of the new releases involve things other than audio improvements.

It does take awhile to become confident with the interface and the many options. You will learn which options are of no use to you. It is up to you to learn about the software and establish a complicated or a straight forward system for music. I believe you will face the same issues with any of the software packages.

With all of that said, I have actually tapered my use of JRiver. I have not used it lately. I have dedicated my time to listening to LPs mainly then real CDs, SACDs, and DVD-A discs.

Here is how my Options Page appears:

00o0krxx8ppd.png
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    All media software has a learning curve. I started out using Windows Media then tried Media Monkey, iTunes, and a couple others. JRiver just provides more than most other programs for a reasonable cost so I decided to buy that and stick with it. Think of it as data management software because that's what a digital music collection really is. All the options available in it are there for a reason, but not all the options need to be learned to use the basic functions.

There are Youtube videos that help explain how to set JRiver up and get the most out of it. JRiver's wiki and forum can be helpful but they can also introduce confusion. It can be complicated, but doesn't have to be. I actually found it just as complicated to use other programs after using JRiver because they all do things a little differently.
  • pelhamplace
    pelhamplace Posts: 111
    @BlueBirdMusic thanks for the copy of your options page. That’s really helpful.
    @Emlyn I have to admit I’m probably not diving into the JRiver wiki like I should. Unfortunately my laptop is on a shelf on my audio rack and not the best setup (that’s the best excuse I can come up with).
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    You are welcome @pelhamplace.

I should have noted the Features Options are in the General Section to the left.

The File Location Section to the left contains Audio Options related to file locations of your music. It's straight forward except for the Filename Rule which is the name generated for each track in the data base (not the track name that shows for play selection). The Filename Rule on my page was arrived at after I ripped the first mult-disk album. It was screwed up. I wanted each disk to be listed separately with its tracks under its disc number especially on JRemote. Otherwise, if there are 2 discs, track ones are together, track twos are together, etc. It took me some time to figure how to do it.

nagbmql0188p.png

Here is the JRiver main computer screen. See the disk 1 tracks are all listed then the disk 2 tracks are listed.

kke6clr9901k.png

Here is the JRemote App with the same Album. Note JRemote is used to make a music selection but it does not affect other activity such as outgoing and incoming calls. Nor, do incoming calls affect the music.

8zcngoekql5p.png

Another page that is confusing is the Audio Section at the left. I don't have my DAC in the system presently, but I'll try to make it so in the upcoming week and post that page if you would like to see it. The Audio Device Options and Settings Options are the most confusing in the Audio Section, especially the DSP & Output Format parameters.

JRiver has many options, and your goal is to know about the ones that you should control. Most of the options generated by JRiver are okay to use as presented. I suggest you limit your music playing to your ripped (and downloaded) albums so you become very efficient with the basics before "turning on" other options.

Harry - Marietta GA
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA