new Headphones Focal Elear

coolsax
coolsax Posts: 1,824
edited July 2020 in Headphones
Been awhile since we've had some updates in here.. Picked up a pair of these from A4less this week as an upgrade to my HD 650. Haven't had too much ear time with them yet as work is slammed, but right out of the box sounded pretty good to start. They are super comfy and easily cover the entirety of my big ears. Also feels really solidly put togetther which i would expect for a 1K MSRP headphone.
9zro0tkzkvh8.jpeg
5d964pwyyovt.jpeg
Main 2ch -
BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    How's the clamping force? Based on your photo it looks like a pretty loose fit which is nice especially for those of us with glasses. I just ordered some new headphones as well but I'll wait until they arrive to make a post.

What amp are you using with them?
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    That's a nice grab! I didn't realize A4Less did headphones, but I'm sure you got a solid deal on them.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • coolsax
    Clamping force isn't too bad, I've been wearing them with my glasses on and not having any issues, i also think the metal bends with a little pressure if its too much. the pads are super comfy. I'm using my Peachtree Nova to drive it. With everyone having be home with COVID, I've found myself using headphones more to not bother my wife and so decided it was time to upgrade the Senns. I had been watching Drop, Audiogon, USaudiomart and A4less for awhile. I had yet decided on the Elears when A4less last had them but they re-added them last week so I was ready to pull the trigger.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+

TV 3.1 system -
  • Clipdat
    Nice. I'm struggling with my Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pros right now due to the clamping force. I've been trying to stretch them out by leaving them on something slightly wider than my head overnight when I'm not using them but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. The sound is pretty good, but just not wild about the way the lower part of the ear pads press into my jaw.

Anyway, glad the Focals are comfortable and I'm pretty sure the new pair I have on the way will be much more comfortable than the Beyers. @msg let me know if you want a barley used pair of DT-880s for the cost of shipping.
  • Clipdat
    @coolsax Are you considering getting a dedicated headphone amp now that you have this level of headphone?
  • 98Badger
    98Badger Posts: 317
    The nice thing about the Elear is that it’s easy to drive. A dedicated amp is nice but they are still enjoyable out of a portable source. They were my daily driver for a year before I discovered ZMF. Enjoy!
  • Clipdat
    Oh yeah I wasn't thinking about their ohm rating or sensitivity, just that different amplifiers have different sound signatures and performance.
  • coolsax
    My Peachtree Nova already has a quality amp, so I don't see any reason to change at the moment. That's why I got the Peachtree; for my normal budget its a great sounding do it all integrated.
    Main 2ch -

TV 3.1 system -
  • Clipdat
    edited July 2020
    I think of it the same way as a built-in DAC or phono stage vs. a standalone DAC or phono stage.

Sure the integrated one will likely sound pretty good, but there's potential gains by going standalone.
  • coolsax
    I get that, but I'm pretty happy so far with where the sound is at currently in my system overall. perhaps down the road.
    Main 2ch -

TV 3.1 system -