Roofing advice?

Options

Comments

• charley96
    charley96 Posts: 306
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    charley96 wrote: »
    The old movie "The Traveler's" with Bill Paxton is good reason to never give $$ to a door knocker.

Kinda depends on how big the knockers are

If it was Kelly Brook, I'd give her all my money. :)
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    Building code here in Michigan allowed 3 layers when I first started roofing.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,032
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    Building code here in Michigan allowed 3 layers when I first started roofing.

whoa.
  • lunazul
    lunazul Posts: 780
    Options
    charley96 wrote: »
    Hopefully State Farm will take care of this for me even though my homeowners always increases every year for never making a claim
    My experience with S.F. was to be denied the claim upon first go round. I contested their decision and requested a different inspector/appraiser who approved a total replacement. YMMV of course.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Looks like we are the only two on this forum tonight... I like any insurance company with the word "Farm" in it. They are all very customer oriented.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    anonymouse wrote: »
    How much more expensive are steel roofs and are they worth the extra expense?

I don't know because we intended from the outset to go with a standing seam roof for this house, so we didn't price any other options.

They are worth the extra expense in "snow country", I think. Not sure about anywhere else.

Up here, I'd say 60-70% of all houses have 'em, but this is an area that historically gets quite a bit of snow every winter.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    My personal opinion is they are worth every penny. If done correctly the roof will outlast you and be worry free. My steel roof was no louder in rain and hail than my shingle roof in my experience.
    I'd do it again if I needed to.
  • invalid
    Options
    We charge about 3-5 times as much for a standing seam metal roof, it depends on how complex the roof lines are. I would definitely get the kynar 500 paint it holds up to the sun's Ray's better than anything else.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    Dallas was a tough area on roofs. Hail would pound down,
    then the sun would finish the job. Standard shingles didn't last.
    20 year shingles were a joke. 30 year would at least hang in there
    for a few years. 10 years was an old roof.
    There were only a few good options. Metal and some new stuff
    made from recycled rubber were the two hot options.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • charley96
    Options
    Had my first guy look at the roof yesterday. My 30yr.17 yr. old Tamko shingles are crap and were installed wrong. Quite a bit of fiberglass hairs are showing through. Installer didn't use the right stair step pattern and too many seams line up. Of course the roofer is retired now. It's one layer and of course has to be torn off since they are a wood shake pattern. I guess I'll have to see what other roofers have to say and hope State Farm covers it. He couldn't really see much hail damage.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Charlie my good buddy had some failing shingles, State Farm wanted them off his house because at some point in time a bunch of companies made some not up to par shingles during a period of time. It might be worth looking into that as well.

State Farm said to him it was cheaper to get it done now than to have a larger claim in the future...
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    I use Fabrall steel roofing. On my garage it's 25 years old and slightly faded but that all. I live in the mountains of Eastern Oregon. We get 8 ft of snow in the winter and in the summer it's 115F during fire season. Asphalt shingles burn like gasoline. Steel... Well doesn't
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • charley96
    Options
    I would do a steel roof in a heartbeat if I wasn't moving in 5 years. Hell, I don't even know what kind of world we'll be living in, in 5years.
  • charley96
    Options
    I've gotten several estimates so far. I'm seeing that most of these roofers are fly by night kind of guys. From my research metal roofing would come in cost wise about the same as shingles. Several companies claim that metal can go over a single layer shingle. I know it's considerably less labor to go over the top vs. tear off and re shingle.

Most of the roofers that looked at it say they don't see too much hail damage. I guess it will be up to the insurence adjuster in the end if they cover it. Estimates have been around 10 grand for a 22.5 square roof.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    I guess it depends on where you live. My roof last summer was 32sq, 30 year dimensional Certainteed Landmark shingles, $9350.00. Installed by a local reputable roofer A+ BB rating.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    We pay on average 200 a Sq, 30 year arch, includes tear off and haul away
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    That’s a good number.
  • invalid
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    We pay on average 200 a Sq, 30 year arch, includes tear off and haul away

Materials must be way cheaper where you live, here in Michigan materials are $150 a square plus dump fees on top of that. Then on top of that you have wages, workman's comp and liability insurance.
  • invalid
    Options
    See if you can file an appeal first, sometimes adjusters make bad calls.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    Get some photos of the damage. Roofers seem to like taking them these days to show a homeowner what’s going bad on a roof. The insurance adjuster should have taken them too.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    I just had my roof re-done in April. 12 square; strip and replace with 30 year architectural grade, water and ice underlayment, ridge vents installed, 3 story chimney taken down and all debris removed. $7,700. Having been on a roof or 2 myself I watched their every move and the workmanship was outstanding. My neighbor did his roof at the same time with a non reputable contractor and he had a leak. Like most things in life you get what you pay for in roofing to.
  • invalid
    Options
    Unfortunately it probably is time to at least talk to a lawyer to weigh your options. What insurance company do you have?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    My crystal ball is leaning towards a new insurance company once this is settled.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    My roof is coming Monday like it or not. Insurance is paying for hail damage from a year ago almost to the day. I am going in my pocket to do it with 2 inch insulation board. I hope it works, this house has no attic.
  • charley96
    Options
    I'm still waiting on bids. Contractors are swamped from the hail storm a few weeks ago.
    I'm dreading the time when the adjuster comes since I don't have much hail damage. I'll probably drop State Farm and find another company after all is done. Tired of rates increasing having never made a claim with them.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Insurance rates go up....pretty much a fact of life regardless of company.

A roof is one thing you don't want to cheap out on.......do it right. Have the old shingles removed, inspect and replace plywood as needed.

If the hail caused the leak, SF will probably cover the new roof depending on how severe. If a lot of people in the area had issues as well you might be ok. Our house in NC got roof damage during a Hurricane a couple years ago and SF was great to deal with so you might be in luck......

I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2020
    Options
    For example rates increase everywhere else because of hurricanes in FL, TX etc. You don’t have to file a claim for your rates to go up, but you get to help pay for others claims via higher rates.

And the reverse is true.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Companies like Farmers and SF do not provide hurricane Coverage insurance. We purchase a supplemental insurance through a co-op of insurance through TWIA. TWIA does not cover any flooding, again this is another Flood policy which many Did not have during Harvey
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    My crystal ball is leaning towards a new insurance company once this is settled.

or 'rolling' as the case may be ;)

but, yeah, seems like you're being jerked around.