Why does my air compressor keep tripping the breaker?

muncybob
muncybob Posts: 2,962
I have a Craftsman compressor and while it is maybe 10 yrs old it has not seen much work. It will run fine at initial start and fully charge but if it needs to "restart" during use it will trip the breaker. Any idea what to look for besides a new compressor?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Do you have it on an extension cord?
    Is the breaker 15A or 20A?
    I disabled signatures.
  • muncybob
    Yes on the cord and it's 15amp.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    It's possible the motor start capacitor is placing too high a current spike on the AC line. It might just need a new capacitor.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    I agree with Ken that it could very well be the capacitor I've had to replace those. The extension cord could also be placing too high of resistance on the line as well. Plug it directly into a outlet and give it a try if you haven't.

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Should never run them on extension cords. At least the old Craftsman one I had said that in the owners manual. Puts too much stress on the motor.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • muncybob
    It never occurred to me that the cord could be the problem...but it was. I just didn't give the cord a 2nd thought since it is fairly heavy duty but it is long. What about a short run with a heavy gauge cord?
  • Nesmith98
    Nesmith98 Posts: 213
    Check to see it the discharge/unloader valve is working correctly. This valve usually lets the pressure in the line out so that the pump can start without line pressure.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    muncybob wrote: »
    It never occurred to me that the cord could be the problem...but it was. I just didn't give the cord a 2nd thought since it is fairly heavy duty but it is long. What about a short run with a heavy gauge cord?

Better to get more air hose and place the unit in the outlet. My 35 gal kobalt from Loews explicitly states in the instructions to NEVER use an extension cord.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Huh...I have a little dewalt pancake compressor and I use it with an extension cord all the time. Is your compressor full size?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • muncybob
    Yea, it's fairly big. My pancake one I use with a finish nailer has no problem with ext cord.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    If I need and extension cord for compressors and table saws etc...I use a 12awg DIY heavy duty cord, no longer than 25ft
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    Nesmith98 wrote: »
    Check to see it the discharge/unloader valve is working correctly. This valve usually lets the pressure in the line out so that the pump can start without line pressure.
    Does this sound like one of those turbo blow-off valves once it reaches regulated pressure?
    I disabled signatures.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    edited July 2020
    I vented a large compressor last week that probably had 25-30 gallons of moisture/oil. The auto blow off valve stopped working and the extra volumn loss was lugging the motor down.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited July 2020
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    If I need and extension cord for compressors and table saws etc...I use a 12awg DIY heavy duty cord, no longer than 25ft

This always use a short heavy gauge ext cord.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Compressors need a lot more juice as the pressure increases and to restart under pressure. I have a small portable air compressor I keep in my car to fill tires. The manual said to use a 20 amp auto plug and when I did it worked fine. I recently bought a new car and it only had a 15 amp plug but I got lazy and just plugged it in. It filled up just fine. But when I turned it off I noticed I needed a few more pounds in the tire and I turned it on a second time. It instantly blew the fuse.

How long was the extension cord were you using? Its not uncommon to just use that cheap small gauge orange 100 ft cord and plug it in (at least I used to do that on occasion). Get a 10-25 ft larger gauge (yellow) cord and you will probably be OK.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    Time to dedicate 12ga wiring to a dedicated
    20a breaker. Issue solved.
    My compressor at my last house did this until
    I ran a 20a. At my current house I'm running a
    smaller unit. Not big enough for my air tools.
    I may have to upgrade the unit and power.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Anything else on that circuit?
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Nesmith98
    Nesmith98 Posts: 213
    msg wrote: »
    Does this sound like one of those turbo blow-off valves once it reaches regulated pressure?

The pressure switch is what turns off the motor at a specific pressure. The check valve that screws into the tank is just a one way valve that keeps the air in the tank so that it don't back flow into the compressor pump. My 60 gallon compressor has a blow-off valve on it similar to the one you mentioned.

Glad to see the culprit was just the extension cord. It's always better to use a longer air line than a longer power cord.
  • muncybob
    The only reason I was looking to use an ext cord is I plan to paint the barn roof this autumn. Would like to situate the compressor outside the barn so the horses don't take off into the next county :(

I think a 12ga cord of 12' will do the trick. Probably gonna need another air hose too.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Can you move or trailer the horses while painting...

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited July 2020
    There is no need to guess on an extension cord size. Play around with this voltage drop calculator. Normally anything under a 3% voltage drop is OK but if you are having problems you can go lower. For reference plug in the values of the cord you tried that didn't work to see how bad it was.

https://calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html

• msg
    ^^^ cool!
    I disabled signatures.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    What's this owner's manual you speak of?
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    It's a paper product with print on it.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus