Simplifying and Asking for Advice

Hi, I'm not sure if this belongs in the Vintage forum or not, and I apologize for the length but more detail gets better advice. ;)

A bit of background: My B&K Reference 50 is acting up so I guess it is time to replace it. I have an RT5000 system that my wife never wanted to set up in our family room, so basically I've been running an RT3000 for years.

My wife has never liked the complexity of our system. Music is the primary goal, but I'm leaning towards a 5.2 A/V Receiver (with a decent FM Tuner) to set her up with a center channel rather than a stereo receiver and a soundbar for the TV. I'm thinking of a Yamaha or Onkyo in the 100w range. I'll keep the OPPO DVD, Sony CD Changer, TV & Kodi box. No phono, tape, game box, etc.

I had a set of Polk 10s I bought new & kept for about 30 years. We both loved them, knew I'd regret selling them, but when I got the RT they had to go due to storage issues.

I'm thinking that I would look for a decent set of Model 7s and maybe a Polk CS2 (or whatever you all suggest).

If your spouse was a technophobe, who loves music, and you wanted to set her up with something you could enjoy short-term and her for a longer period, what direction would you go?

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    For a cost effective primarily two channel music system with better audio performance than a home theater receiver, I'd just go with a stereo receiver. Most stereo receivers or integrated amps these days lack an FM tuner but Outlaw still makes one with a tuner...

https://outlawaudio.com/shop/index.php?id_product=24&rewrite=rr2160-stereo-receiver&controller=product

That could run the old Polk Monitor speakers without difficulty.

If a TV is in the system, a powered soundbar could be used easily without having to turn on the stereo too.
  • 72RR
    72RR Posts: 159
    edited July 2020
    That Outlaw looks nice but that $1,000 price tag is a bit of overkill here :smile:
    Our stereo basically runs 24/7 anyway, so turning it on isn't an issue - just means changing sources. She does like running the movie or concert audio through the speakers. Has no interest in feeling the bass, just understanding the dialogue.

"Could you train her?" LOL - haven't been able to in 40 years, doubt if I could now.

Still using a Carver AV-405 amp. I had picked up a Sunfire TGA-7200, but without setting up the rest of the speakers, it would have really been a waste. Not to mention the extra size of the amp on the shelf.

Oh forgot to mention, her musical tastes run towards Americana, Blues, and some old time Rock & Roll. Really, pretty much anything other than Classical and Rap.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    72RR wrote: »

My wife has never liked the complexity of our system. Music is the primary goal, .. ............

Buy her a CD player, integrated amp (analog only), and two speakers.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited July 2020
    I'm not familiar with the RT5000 system setup you're running.
    Powered bottom ends, only? Is the center channel also powered as well?

Are you keeping the amp, or just looking for something to replace the amp and Ref 50 with a single unit?

Is streaming internet radio an option?

If you're keeping these [powered bottoms?] speakers and the amp, it sounds like you only need a decent processor or receiver with preouts to replace the B&K.

How serious are you about the music/2ch quality?

Speaking to the complexity piece, is the capability to configure macros on a universal remote an option for you?
    I disabled signatures.
  • 72RR
    Powered subwoofers in FL, FR, and center; driven mids and tweeters. Replacing amp and B&K with a single unit. Internet radio is an option, not ideal though. Music quality - a concern, but she will not be doing any serious listening sessions.

The speakers are going to be replaced with bookshelf speakers, just trying to decide what to replace them with.

I can probably do the macros if needed, if they need any fine-tuning or recreating later, I'd say the remote would be dumped.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited July 2020
    Fix the Reference 50, keep everything the same. She's used to it by now. It's certainly about five steps up from a HT Receiver.

Providing her with a "simple" system while you keep the "nice" one, is not a bad idea, either.

The Ref 50 problems MIGHT be as simple as a new button-cell battery on the motherboard. Guy on another forum had a flaky '50, got zero help from B&K, and finally just slapped another battery in the thing. Had to turn it on and off a couple of times, maybe unplug the cord--but it was soon back to life again.

The way I remember the story, the service manual didn't even acknowledge the existence of the button-cell battery.
  • Hey I’m new here. I have no advice, but if you decide to sell the rt3000’s I’d be interested! Sorry if this isn’t the place. I’m not super familiar with the rules and etiquette yet. Feel free to delete if it breaks any rules.
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 362
    edited July 2020
    What are the “train her” comments all about? As in, train her on how to turn everything on and set it to the right inputs? If that’s the issue, pick up a Logitech Harmony remote. You set an activity up, such as “watch tv,” and it turns on all devices and sets them to the correct inputS. May be a little more difficult if some of your devices don’t allow remote control.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    CottageChz wrote: »
    What are the “train her” comments all about? As in, train her on how to turn everything on and set it to the right inputs? If that’s the issue, pick up a Logitech Harmony remote. You set an activity up, such as “watch tv,” and it turns on all devices and sets them to the correct inputS. May be a little more difficult if some of your devices don’t allow remote control.

I agree: every system in my house has a harmony. Everyone including young children can run it. Absolutely worth every penny.

If that’s not an option, what’s the budget here? For a receiver, center channel, and bookshelf speakers?

Other thought: my dynaudios with a good integrated amp don’t need no stinking center channel for music or tv shows. Only with really heavy surround movies can the dialogue can lost a little, but I watch those in full surround in the game room. My wife and I watch tv just about every night on the two channel rig and understanding dialogue is never a problem...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • 72RR
    Thank you all for the responses & advice.

Schurkey: good idea. I'm no technician, but that I can check out. I won't be keeping the "nice" one for myself. Cancer diagnosis and I'm trying to make things easier for her when I'm not around.

burialcloud: I will be at some point. Where are you? I'm in NC.

CottageChz: The Harmony might be a good idea, I've tossed around the idea a few times over the years.

rooftop59: I'm thinking I can keep it under a grand, maybe $1,500 if I go a bit more on new/newer speakers. Using two speakers, I've had problems with picking up the dialogue unless we're both centering pretty much straight-on, not off-center from the TV.