Best and worse jobs you have had....

2»

Comments

• Being laid off in the winter months and working on my own projects is my best job. The other 8 months of the year spent working in the asphalt paving industry are the worst.

Woah cool, another paving guy on here!

For me worst job was IT consulting
    Best job asphalt work!

Kind of had an "Office Space" moment 11 years ago
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Giver

Taker

:D
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    edited July 2020
    Jstas wrote: »
    Milito wrote: »
    jstas I worked as a mechanic's helper one Summer and the head mechanic played a joke on me. He didn't tell me I needed to release the pressure on a hydraulic system before I worked on it and got sprayed with hydraulic fluid. He got a big laugh out of that.

I was going to get him back, but I had to go back to college in a few weeks and never got the chance.

I also got to play with big trucks as I sold Peterbilt trucks during my sales career. Those big Pete's rode almost as well as a car and would haul 80,000 lbs over 100 MPH, not that I recommend that as only a fool would do that.

Practical jokes were pretty common. Everything from someone deliberately parking a truck on one of my hoses to the acetylene in a rubber glove while working with a torch or welding mask on. I didn't fall for much and when I did it was usually 'cause I was tired. But we worked with hydraulic systems all the time so I got sprayed often just trying to repair something. Most of my repair time was spent pulling broken hydraulic hoses and then taking them down the street to Pardo's who would repair them for us. Then I'd get to go pick them all up. At least I got free coffee and donuts out of that!

All of the trash company's trucks were Mack cab-overs except for 3 of the rolloffs which were Mack Granite bodies. One of the demolition companies used Kenworth tractors for hauling equipment, the other had ancient Autocar tractors. The paving company must have had a deal with Ford/International 'cause all his haulers were Ford F900/F9000 or a number of International flavors that he bought all new from the same dealer. The heavy equipment was all kinds of stuff from John Deere to Kubotoa to Caterpillar to Komatsu to Hitachi. The paving guy, his son was running a commercial lawn service (cutting grass/landscaping for places like malls, office parks, etc) and he started send the fleet of Mitsubishi-Fuso stake bodies to us too. So some days, I'd get a rig in and have to do a diesel service and then service all of the equipment that was on that trailer too.

I only ever had one Peterbilt and it was the trash company owner's son's Peterbilt 281 "narrow-nose". It was his "hot rod" and he did a ton of work to it but didn't have the heavy tools at home to do the big work. So he would bring it to the shop to do the service intervals and such on it and he usually "pulled rank" to get me to help him. It was a nice truck, a bit much for a "hot rod" but he was always asked to be in parades and stuff and had it in car shows. He would take trips with it and drive down to, like, Daytona Beach with it, bobtailing the whole way. It actually had a chopped top. Wish I had pictures of it.

I don't know what the HP of the big Pete's is now but when I sold them and medium duty trucks in the mid to late 90's, they had up to 600 hp and 1850 torque rating. Transmission was an 18 speed dual overdrive.

The most fun truck to spec out was a heavy hauler with 3 rear axles used to haul heavy machinery equipment. It was the most expensive one I sold.

Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    Worst: line mechanic at a cosmetics glass bottles factory. If you think it was hot at your job.....think again.

Best: my 32 years in multiple supply chain jobs where I`m at. Been here for 32 years. One more to go. Two tops.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • ADJ
    ADJ Posts: 46
    Worst job: Slinging chunks of rubber in to the hoppers in the middle of the summer in St Louis.

Best job: (current) Providing care to our AD service members
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,052
    edited July 2020
    Worst: Right out of High School my Dad's friend got me a factory job. Assembling agricultural hydraulic cylinders. Anywhere from 2" to 7" in diameter. I worked assembly of parts as well as assembly of the actual hydraulic cylinder. Hard, physical work.

No A/C in the shop and the oil they coated all the metal in to prevent oxidation made me break out and itched like crazy.

Definitely made me rethink going to College, which I did.

Best (as in most enjoyable) is what I'm doing now and have been doing since 2001. Title Insurance for residential and commercial property. I am on the production side doing searching and examining. It like doing a puzzle and working both ends against the middle. There's enough variety so I don't get bored and I love the challenge of doing a title search in the County records on an old piece of property.

It pays well and I can honestly say, at this level there aren't a lot people around who can do it. It takes a few years to really get comfortable and know what red flags to look for and how to solve a problem in a very non-linear way sometimes.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9 wrote: »
    Worst: Right out of High School my Dad's friend got me a factory job. Assembling agricultural hydraulic cylinders. Anywhere from 2" to 7" in diameter. I worked assembly of parts as well as assembly of the actual hydraulic cylinder. Hard, physical work.

No A/C in the shop and the oil they coated all the metal in to prevent oxidation made me break out and itched like crazy.

Definitely made me rethink going to College, which I did.

Best (as in most enjoyable) is what I'm doing now and have been doing since 2001. Title Insurance for residential and commercial property. I am on the production side doing searching and examining. It like doing a puzzle and working both ends against the middle. There's enough variety so I don't get bored and I love the challenge of doing a title search in the County records on an old piece of property.

It pays well and I can honestly say, at this level there aren't a lot people around who can do it. It takes a few years to really get comfortable and know what red flags to look for and how to solve a problem in a very non-linear way sometimes.

H9

Nothing worse than hydraulic oil itch! Puts fiberglass to shame.