"New" SDA-1Cs

Howdy all!

I've been lurking around these parts for a long time reading about various topics/equipment and apparently never even joined, but I have corrected that today. I also bought my first set of Polk speakers...SDA-1Cs.

Which is interesting because way back in the 80s, I did audition the RTA-12s and I was underwhelmed. I pretty much ignored that whole generation of Polks until today. So, this is my first foray into SDA territory.

Based on reading up on the SDAs here and at AK, I started watching the local SDA deals on CL and finally pulled the trigger. I had to drive over 80 miles to audition them, but he was the original owner and took exceptional care of them. He even had the original boxes! However, he did not have the original manual or the SDA interconnect.

Anyway, they are now setup in my listening space (see pic) and, so far, I'm enjoying them even without the SDA effect. Maybe a touch of tubbiness in the bass, but I haven't started tweaking the positioning yet. I have them 7 inches from the wall right now.

I'll have to move the equipment rack over by my listening chair, to clear out the space betwixt the speakers, and run some long interconnects to the amp. Right now the Polks are being feed by a Kenwood KD-750, Muse 296 DAC, Innersound (aka Coda) preamp, and Threshold Stasis 2 amp.

Not quite ready to start mods as I want to get a handle on the sound first. Then, I can start going crazy...

The point of this post isn't just to introduce my system, but also to thank all you fellow audio nuts who have been extolling these great speakers of a bygone era. Thank you!

Jeff

hdimp0mk4hsk.jpeg

Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts

Comments

• Nesmith98
    Nesmith98 Posts: 213
    Love my 1c's. Gotta get that SAD Interconnect cable or make your own.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Hey Jeff, congrats on the pickup and welcome!

I suspect the tubbiness you're experiencing is from the lack of functioning SDA drivers. The sound should balance out once you get the SDA cable in place, as recommended above.

Guys, which drivers in the 1Cs don't work without the SDA cable in place?
    I disabled signatures.
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 424
    And don’t get me wrong...the tubbiness is very slight and program dependent.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Well if you like them now, you're gonna like them even more with the SDA cable with all drivers fully functional. Pretty sure the two outside drivers in each speaker aren't powered without the SDA cable in place.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    msg wrote: »
    which drivers in the 1Cs don't work without the SDA cable in place?
    None of them. The two outside SDA drivers still produce low bass even without the SDA cable.

The 1Bs are the same that way--all the drivers work, although the SDA drivers only produce low bass.

Earlier generations had a dead tweeter, and may have had dead MW drivers without the cable. I think the 1B was the first generation that didn't disable drivers when the SDA cable wasn't installed.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
  • crcolby
    crcolby Posts: 18
    My 1C's were happiest at 4" from the wall in their previous location. I rearranged all the furniture and put them against a different wall a couple of weeks ago, and now they seem to prefer 3".
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Welcome Jeff. The 1C's are really nice. Mine are still all stock, with plans to upgrade. What speakers did your 1C's replace, or they are in addition to?
  • engie490

aprazer402 wrote: »
    Welcome Jeff. The 1C's are really nice. Mine are still all stock, with plans to upgrade. What speakers did your 1C's replace, or they are in addition to?

Thanks for the welcome and to everyone for your help!

The speaker question ends up being a 2-part answer...

In the past year, I've had Infinity RS-IIA, Nola KO2, NHT T5 Evolution, and Infinity RS-IIIB as my main speakers. The IIAs and KO2s I had in my previous house. That room wasn't really big enough (16' x 14') for those speakers, so I let them go. They would probably be much happier in my new space (16' x 33' x 9').

The NHTs and RS-IIIBs sounded pretty good in the new room, but my initial impression is that the stock 1Cs sound better to me. We'll see what happens when I hook them up for SDA. I ordered some speakon jacks and a speaker cable to connect them.

I still have a few others in "strategic reserve": EV Regency, EV Arsitocrat, a single EV Suzerain, B&W Matrix III Series 1, Alon Petite, Alon Lotus Elite Signature, AR M2, Wharfedale W4, Altec Bolero 890C, Klipsch Heresy, Vandersteen 3, and Magnepan MG-IIIA.

Are you sorry you asked???

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Nope
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited July 2020
    You appear well stocked!
    Post edited by aprazer402 on
  • ratpin
    ratpin Posts: 85
    edited July 2020
    d0vjsgko67wr.png
    Can you give me an idea of the purchased price? I have a lead on some in identical condition (flawless, original owner, in original boxes), but also include the interconnect and manual. Guy wants $450, but he’s are 5 hours away round trip and I really dont need them, but if its too good to pass up, Id be willing to go.
    Polk: / SDA-CRS / SDA-1C / M-10B / M-7B / M-5 / M-5jr / RTA-11T / LSIM703 / LSIM704 / LSIM706 / RTI8 / CSI3 / CSI5 / RTI4 / RTI-A5 / CSI-A6 / RC80i / RC85i / RC6s / PSW300 / Atrium6 / Atrium4 / About a dozen pair of Atrium45 lol.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    That's a great deal for someone in the market!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    ratpin wrote: »
    d0vjsgko67wr.png
    Can you give me an idea of the purchased price? I have a lead on some in identical condition (flawless, original owner, in original boxes), but also include the interconnect and manual. Guy wants $450, but he’s are 5 hours away round trip and I really dont need them, but if its too good to pass up, Id be willing to go.

Which SDA's do you have now?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    @ratpin GO AND GIT ‘EM !!!
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    They'se look purdee.
  • ratpin
    F1nut wrote: »
    d0vjsgko67wr.png

I have never owned any SDA’s to this point.
    Polk: / SDA-CRS / SDA-1C / M-10B / M-7B / M-5 / M-5jr / RTA-11T / LSIM703 / LSIM704 / LSIM706 / RTI8 / CSI3 / CSI5 / RTI4 / RTI-A5 / CSI-A6 / RC80i / RC85i / RC6s / PSW300 / Atrium6 / Atrium4 / About a dozen pair of Atrium45 lol.
  • engie490
    Same price...3 hours roundtrip. I didn't try to haggle much since the missus was waiting in the car.
  • engie490
    Keep in mind that mine went on CL on Thursday and I picked them up on Friday, so they weren't sitting around without any interest. How long has he had them up for sale?
  • F1nut
    F1nut wrote: »
    d0vjsgko67wr.png

I have never owned any SDA’s to this point.

Then you should buy them. You'll likely sell whatever speakers you have now.

President of Club Polk

• ratpin
    After looking at the location Of the seller a bit closer. He’s actually about 10 hours round trip. That’s a lot of seat time...
  • engie490
    If you’re going to pass on these, then you should probably post about them in the “Vintage Monitor and SDA Speaker Deals” thread.