Polk out of RD0194!?!???

Options
Joshwest90
Joshwest90 Posts: 109
edited April 2020 in Vintage Speakers
I called Polk today ready to bite the bullet on (4) RD0194 to finalize my upgrade for my sda-1a. The guy told me they are out of stock and referred me to Midwest speaker!!! This is terrible lol.

Comments

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,546
    Options
    I think they have been for awhile now. They pop up here for sale every so often but go FAST! Set up and save a search on ebay so you get notifications when some are listed. Probably your best bet.
  • Joshwest90
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    I think they have been for awhile now. They pop up here for sale every so often but go FAST! Set up and save a search on ebay so you get notifications when some are listed. Probably your best bet.

There are 2 on eBay, but more expensive than what you used to be able to get them from Polk :(

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Or you could drop in some aftermarket silks/domes on the cheap.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Joshwest90
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Or you could drop in some aftermarket silks/domes on the cheap.

Don’t you have to modify the cabinets to run other tweeters? Has anyone done this with success? How do other tweeters work compared to the RD0194
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Do not drop in any other tweeter. There are very specific technical specifications that if not an exact match will result in less than ideal sound.

I believe Polk will no longer sell the RD0194 and RD0198 tweeters. Midwest has taken over selling them. They are exactly the same tweeters.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I assumed you had the SL2000's and a few of us have modded them with aftermarket silks.
    If you can hold out for a good set of RD0194's, then by all means. If Polk never manufactures another set of them, then you'll be back to installing aftermarket silks, but much easier to do them to 194's

And if you get them from Midwest, let us know if the plastic deforms and resonates like some of the originals do.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    Josh, you might also want to consider getting just two 194s and disconnecting the two SDA tweeters in your 1A’s. That seems to be preferred by those around here who have updated that model, IIRC.
  • Joshwest90
    Options
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    Josh, you might also want to consider getting just two 194s and disconnecting the two SDA tweeters in your 1A’s. That seems to be preferred by those around here who have updated that model, IIRC.

So just disconnect the inner tweeter on both speakers? I have redone the crossovers with updated caps and resistors. Was just waiting on the tweeters and now they are gone haha my luck.
  • Joshwest90
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Do not drop in any other tweeter. There are very specific technical specifications that if not an exact match will result in less than ideal sound.

I believe Polk will no longer sell the RD0194 and RD0198 tweeters. Midwest has taken over selling them. They are exactly the same tweeters.

I see Midwest has them, but they are 8-10.00 more than what I remember Polk selling them and doesn’t include free shipping. Do you agree with teekay to unplug the dimensional tweeter?

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    The inner tweeter is the stereo tweeter. The outer tweeters are the dimensional tweeters. Do your SDA1 have fuses ? If yes take out the fuse, if not then unhook the tweeter leads and tape so they do not touch and cause a short.
  • F1nut
    edited April 2020
    Options
    The list price has always been $60.00. Club Polk members got a discount from Polk. Those days seem to be over.

Yes, I agree. The dimensional tweeter(s) impart an unnatural phasey effect. You can try disconnecting them before ordering new ones to hear for yourself what it sounds like. Be sure to tape off and secure the leads.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joshwest90
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    The inner tweeter is the stereo tweeter. The outer tweeters are the dimensional tweeters. Do your SDA1 have fuses ? If yes take out the fuse, if not then unhook the tweeter leads and tape so they do not touch and cause a short.

These SDAs do not have the fuse on the back. Once I pull them I’ll shrink tube the leads to prevent shorting.

Is this the case for the SDA-CRS as well
    @F1nut @pitdogg2
  • F1nut
    Options
    For the original CRS with 2 tweeters? Yes.

President of Club Polk

• Joshwest90
    Options

Yea these have 2 tweeters. Well that’s good to know. Less RD0194 to buy haha

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    If it were the single tweeter models he’d probably notice something missing in his music. :p
  • Joshwest90
    Options
    @F1nut are the SDA-2A the same as the SDA-1A and CRS in regards to disconnecting the dimensional tweeter?
  • F1nut
    Options
    No, the 2A only has one tweeter.

President of Club Polk

• crcolby
    crcolby Posts: 18
    Options
    FWIW, I ordered MW6511's (the mid/woof's) a couple of months back. The guy on the phone said I got 4 of the last 5 in stock.
  • Sound_Recluse
    Options
    Joshwest90 wrote: »
    I called Polk today ready to bite the bullet on (4) RD0194 to finalize my upgrade for my sda-1a. The guy told me they are out of stock and referred me to Midwest speaker!!! This is terrible lol.

Rd0194's just popped up on ebay.. but they are $60 each.. say there is more than 12 available
  • F1nut
    Options
    $60.00 is the normal price and that's cheap compared to a lot of other tweeters out there.

President of Club Polk

• gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 699
    Options

So very true when you think about it ....
    Hard to believe they’re so inexpensive....

The Raal tweeters in my Salks are 5-6 times that price ....

Bk

$60.00 is the normal price and that's cheap compared to a lot of other tweeters out there.

Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    gyosa wrote: »
    So very true when you think about it ....
    Hard to believe they’re so inexpensive....

The Raal tweeters in my Salks are 5-6 times that price ....

Bk

they're also about 5-6 times better tweeters ;)
  • ratpin
    ratpin Posts: 85
    Options
    Any word on if/when polk will start selling these again?
    Polk: / SDA-CRS / SDA-1C / M-10B / M-7B / M-5 / M-5jr / RTA-11T / LSIM703 / LSIM704 / LSIM706 / RTI8 / CSI3 / CSI5 / RTI4 / RTI-A5 / CSI-A6 / RC80i / RC85i / RC6s / PSW300 / Atrium6 / Atrium4 / About a dozen pair of Atrium45 lol.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    I would not be surprised to find out they are done supporting the vintage SDA line.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    edited June 2020
    Options
    It's already been stated that Polk's support for vintage Polk speakers is over. MidWest is taking over offering the tweeters and a one model fits all type driver, which it is not.

President of Club Polk

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    For anyone who is not sure what's being talked about, here is a link to Midwest Speaker Repair.

https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/

Here's the Polk Audio tweeter page:
    https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/product-category/home-audio/tweeters/polk-audio-1-tweeters/
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,076
    Options
    On June 3, I purchased four RD094's to have as backups from Polk . They came right away in 3-4 days. Got the discount and free shipping.

There was hardly any wait for the first person to answer to handle the sale; and put the invoice together. Then the sales person hands you off to a financial person to collect the money. I waited for about an hour to pay. No RD098's on that day.

The two people were really good at their job. Nice and knowledgeable.

Harry
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • cutiger
    cutiger Posts: 8
    Options
    Just ordered 2 from The Speaker Exchange in Florida......arrived in 2 days.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    It's already been stated that Polk's support for vintage Polk speakers is over. MidWest is taking over offering the tweeters and a one model fits all type driver, which it is not.

^ Sad...
  • xschop
    Options
    Better start researching which Peerless is closest to the original RDOs. I believe Polk used Peerless as the magnet/bezel have the exact same bolt patterns.