So, you think speaker cables don't matter, think again.

F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,708
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Interesting.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    I like the cubed globe! Noice! B)
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    I guess if he had used a shielded cable it would've done the same but that wouldn't address the noise on the line which he didn't test for in this video. Still pretty cool though.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • F1nut
    I guess if he had used a shielded cable it would've done the same but that wouldn't address the noise on the line which he didn't test for in this video. Still pretty cool though.

Do you know of any speaker cable that is shielded? As for noise on the line, that is power related and is addressed with power conditioning.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    He stated in the video that component manufacturers try to filter out the noise but are only partially successful, so yes power conditioning would probably be a partial solution but I believe he also stated that the components create their own noise internally. I believe I have seen shielded speaker cables although I understand that they are not common compared to shielded interconnects but he commented that some would say that was the solution but he didn't agree because of the fact that it doesn't address the "noise on the line" as he referred to it, but he seemed to also be including the internal noise of the component as being part of that.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    I’m sure someone will come up with a reason why this video is snake oil. Me personally,when I see someone say cables make no difference,I just move on. Great video. Thanks for sharing the link!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Good cables make a big improvement to the sound. However, I don't watch videos.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Good cables make a big improvement to the sound. However, I don't watch videos.

Codswallup!
  • joecoulson
    And great post Jesse. Thank You
  • F1nut
    He stated in the video that component manufacturers try to filter out the noise but are only partially successful, so yes power conditioning would probably be a partial solution but I believe he also stated that the components create their own noise internally. I believe I have seen shielded speaker cables although I understand that they are not common compared to shielded interconnects but he commented that some would say that was the solution but he didn't agree because of the fact that it doesn't address the "noise on the line" as he referred to it, but he seemed to also be including the internal noise of the component as being part of that.

Ah yes, you're right. Components do create their own noise.

President of Club Polk

• ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Cables don’t any difference. Reference to mm2 ❤️
    f7uwxf74kx0y.jpeg
    yjhc5qhzq4u9.jpeg
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I use braided cables.

s-l1600.jpg
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited July 2020
    I liked the part when he said the name of the radio station they were using...

Since the speaker cables are the last link in the chain, would it be as beneficial to have all the cables be of similar construction (power, IC, etc.), or is it a case of too much of a good thing? For the record, I know cables make a difference, I'm just trying to grasp his ideas a little better.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • joecoulson
    I believe in that theory myself, keep all materials as equal as possible. If you like Wireworld gear, have it at all steps (IC, PC, Spk etc). I personally like AQ and have it in as many connections as I can afford.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I use braided cables.

s-l1600.jpg
    That must be an I/C cable...probably Kimber? For speaker cable, I can't figure out what the third color of wire would be for.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    Looks to be the equivalent of a 4 conductor setup

Purple, black, gray, white
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    edited July 2020
    Hey you know what, that video made me change my mind. I now do believe in certain kinds of noise rejecting cables. The only thing I needed to do was make the connection, remembering way back when cellular phones used to make our devices which produce sound would make it chirp, chirp, chirp from the cellular signals.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • pawelmwo
    pawelmwo Posts: 137
    Interesting video, so without breaking the bank, what would be some interconnects and speaker cables that could be used to the equivalent of what this gentleman is proposing? I imagine you'd need quality jumpers, interconnects, speaker cables. Especially for those of us using external amplifiers.
  • pawelmwo
    pawelmwo Posts: 137
    Here is a counter argument from Ethan Winer he developed a device to test wire differences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyWt3kANA3Q
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Your ears are the only device that accurately test wire difference. Look for OCC copper cables or better
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    I thought everybody was running lamp chord.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Pay attention to gauge too
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Gardenstater
    edited July 2020
    It's sad that he thinks that his resistance, capacitance, and inductance are all there is to it. The ear is an instrument too, only we can't quantify what it hears, yet. Maybe when there is artificial intelligence. I'm sure there must be things going on, involving electrons ability to transmit musical information that he isn't measuring.

I'm doubtful of his null testing. I don't think it measures the difference in speed or transient response between different cables in a quantitative way. Music signals are way too complicated. If impedance of different cables at different frequencies is different (which it is), there's no way to have equal volumes across the whole audio frequency band.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    Maybe part of the problem is that electronic measurement instrumentation has to sum things together, which is something that the human ear does not do, or at least it does it in a different way.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited July 2020
    I use braided cables.
    s-l1600.jpg
    jdjohn wrote: »
    I use braided cables.
    That must be an I/C cable...probably Kimber? For speaker cable, I can't figure out what the third color of wire would be for.

That would be the Krux Kable by KnuKonceptz.
    The Krux Kable concept is simple, deliver a smooth sounding, high purity signal path for your analog audio signal. Construction begins with oxygen free copper (OFC) drawn in three distinct diameters(3D). This 3D design provides optimal signal transmission as low, mid, and upper ranges each travel these diameters with less distortion. Simplifying the design, we have reduced each core to only 7 strands yielding an 18 gauge conductor. Isolating smaller groups of copper minimizes strand interaction to maintain timing and spatial cues.

With the Krux Speaker Wire, that is where simple ends. A complex interlaced counter braid separates positive and negative conductors within the cable structure. Sixteen isolated conductors, 8 positive and 8 negative cores are woven to make one flexible, large gauge, speaker cable. In straight wire configuration the SPW16 is an 8 gauge (AWG) speaker wire. Configuring for Bi-Wire, the SPW16 yields four 11 gauge conductors.

The Krux Kable SPW16 is sold as bulk speaker wire by the foot to be assembled by the end user. Termination tips and instructions can be found under product specifications tab.

KnuKonceptz is known more in the car audio world. I cut my teeth doing car audio installs for myself and others. Some cars are noise free and others the complete opposite to a high degree. Cable placement and shielding is for sure used more so in that enviroment. There were/are many twisted and shielded cables in the car audio marketplace over the years.

I'm was considering the Krux Kable wire or more likley the ViaBlue SC2 wire for some DIY cables I plan to make and also using Furez plugs.
    ViaBlue SC2
    sc2-cable-l.jpg

ViaBlue Hybrid SC-2 V3 Silver Series speaker cables have stranded copper conductors plated with genuine silver. The ViaBlue SC-2 speaker cables have a transparent and three-dimensional acoustics and a brilliant, airy quality in the high range. Clean lows and basses homogeneously round out the acoustic pattern. Technically, all of the frequency ranges are cleanly and realistically represented and reproduced in a linear fashion. Both 4 mm2 leads of the SC-2 speaker cable is a rope lay design consisting of seven silver plated copper stranded lays with a total of 448 individual wire conductors. The basic burn-in time of the SC-2 speaker cables is App. 18-20 hours. The total burn-in time is App. 38-40 hours. (Exact times depend on temperature and location)

ViaBlue SC2 V3 Hybrid Silver/Copper Speaker Cable Specifications
    • Version 3 is the latest SC2 release
    • Silver and Copper Hybrid Speaker Wire
    • 4 mm2-11AWG Construction – 2 Conductor Cable
    • Internally Twisted Conductors
    • Rope lay design for improved sonic quality
    • High Strand Inner Conductor – Total 448 Strands per conductor
    - Positive Conductor - 7 Inner Twisted Bundles of 64 Strands Silver Plated Copper
    - Negative Conductor - 7 Inner Twisted Bundles of 64 Strands Tinned Copper
    • Nominal Outer Cable Thickness 0.360"
    • Weight: 0.328lb (5.25 oz.) per Meter

Their premade cables are nice!
    kabel_sc2_lautsprecher_t6s_s.jpg

kabel_sc4_single_wire_lautsprecher_aderendhuelsen_s.jpg

kabel_sc6_single_wire_lautsprecher_t6s_s.jpg
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2