Shawn Mullins Soul’s Core Revival

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
Just picked this up on vinyl...

The original is one of my Top 5 Deserted Island albums...and my favorite live act.

If you don’t have this album, you are **** up. I was thinking it would just be remasters of the original....but it is all new performances. Electric and acoustic.

It’s all fantastic. The only thing I didn’t care for was the electric version of Shimmer. The sound, with that exception is just glorious. The vinyl is quiet, the sound is warm and lush.

Anyway, buy it because the music is awesome OR because it is audiophile ear candy. Or both.

https://www.amazon.com/Souls-Core-Revival-Shawn-Mullins/dp/B07HGRC2C5
I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Thanks for the heads up,, saw him live at a small venue in Atlanta,, captivating performance!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • TroyD
    He is amazing live...seen him a couple of times. One was a near death experience. LOL!

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Rolled the Revival into the line up last night. Me thinks this is one of those that gets mo better with repeated listening 😏
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,961
    Sampling this on You Tube. Not thru it all the way yet but I've heard enough to buy it. Thanks for the heads up!
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Finally. Someone else actually talking about this thing we call music. Cool beans.

Will have to check this one out!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • muncybob
    Agreed!
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • TroyD
    Remember:

We listen to music ON the hifi.

In that order.

BDT
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    I'm listening to the original album now. "Soul Child" has some seriously TIGHT bass!
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • treitz3
    Just ordered both on CD so I can check 'em out. I liked what I heard on the 'puter so far. If I really dig the tunes, I'll get the vinyl too.

Does anyone know if any of these albums are available in an "audiophile" type offering? (Vinyl, MFSL, DCC, SACD, Japanese version, etc...) If they do and you happen to have a couple of copies, is their a preferred format/recording or mastering you have?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • TroyD
    Tom, I pretty sure the answer is no. However, the vinyl for SCR is heavyweight and is VERY well recorded.
  • treitz3
    Duly noted. Thanks, Troy. I'm looking forward to listening to these albums on the big rig.

Tom
  • treitz3
    edited June 2020
    They just hit the household. I got Soul Core and the Revival. Fun listening times today!

[EDIT:] I just put Revival's first song on. What a HUGE difference between computer speakers and the big rig. I'm in love already. This is right up my alley of some awesome tunes. The volume is turned up now to concert levels and the entire family is enjoying it. Time will tell if I like the rest of it as well but judging from what I hear now, I do not think I'll be disappointed AT ALL.

Tom
    Post edited by treitz3 on
  • treitz3
    So, I just now wrapped up my listening session for the first album off of the Revival. this is the electric version. What an outstanding album!

Thanks, Troy. I can't thank you enough for this jewel.

While I was enjoying the performance, I read the liner. Looks like it was recorded down in Atlanta, using this thing called "SING" technology. I have no idea what that is (yet) but I can definitely dig what it produced. The end result as to what hits your ears is definitely "audiophile worthy". My hat's off to the mastering and recording engineers with this one. They did a great job!

Song 7 on this album made it seem as if my listening chair was mounted on top of a set of 20" woofers. Not only did the music move you emotionally, it physically "moved" you as well. I bet the women would dig that LOL.

This album comes highly recommended and is most definitely a top 5 "Deserted Island" album. Troy was not lying about that aspect......and I haven't even heard the LIVE version yet.....which is his top 5. That's gotta be great if I enjoyed this album so much. If you don't have it, GET IT. Now, not later.

You can thank Troy later.

Tom

• indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Listening to this on Tidal right now. Sounding really good. I will have to pursue a purchase this one. Thanks for the recommendation.
  • treitz3
    TroyD wrote: »
    The original is one of my Top 5 Deserted Island albums...and my favorite live act.
    Troy, would you be so kind as to point me to the original LIVE album? I put in the other album I ordered and it's not live. (Still a killer album, I WILL be buying more from this cat, including the same albums on LP).

Please advise and thanks.

Tom

• indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    I love the version of Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down.
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    Just ordered the CD off Amazon. Looking forward to listening to it.
  • treitz3
    edited June 2020
    if6nqdeacyvy.png

I just found a near mint copy of this one. I "hope" that this is the live album you were referring too. If not, what I have heard so far? It will be worth it. Snagged it for $24.00.

Some Yahoos have a used copy on Amazon for over $969.00 and a new one for basically the same amount. WHAT?

89woor4lq2ey.png

Tom
    Post edited by treitz3 on
  • TroyD
    The Live at the VP is cool. Great music, meh production value.

After listen to both electric and acoustic versions of SCR...Love both versions but would take the acoustic if I could only pick one...but both probably the best recordings I have heard in many moons.
  • muncybob
    Just ordered the only live one I found on ebay for less than $9 delivered. Allman Bros. at Filmore East was my favorite live album to this point....we'll see.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    edited June 2020
    Listened through both the electronic and acoustic versions last night - both are outstanding. I think I give the nod to the electric version, however I really like the commentary before each song on the acoustic version - made me realize my Kris Kristofferson selection is far too limited... more discs on the way.

Thanks for the heads up on this one - another in the “reference rotation”.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Here is one of the places Shawn Mullins talks/sings about on the Revival Album.

It is the Flora-Bama Lounge, Package, and Oyster Bar located on the Florida and Alabama state lines on the Gulf Coast.

a5mp1stpwmya.png

http://www.florabama.com/

People on the beach behind the main building during a major event.

xmulfixocf0e.png
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • TroyD
    I've left a few brain cells at the Flora-Bama on different occasions......
  • treitz3
    edited June 2020
    Well, I got lucky. The live album listed as in near mint condition I ordered just came in. Daggum thing is still sealed. Will definitely be listening to this one today.

jjcbhlqii0db.png

Tom
  • treitz3
    The Live at the VP is cool. Great music, meh production value.
    Well, glad I only paid $24 instead of $970.00 (not that I would have anyway). You are right. The recording on this live CD is nowhere near the recording/mastering/mixing quality of the others. "Meh" production is spot on.

If you are interested in this live album, purchase it to add to your SM collection and for the music. It's on a different planet than the others when it comes to the recording. It doesn't really even capture the texture of his voice.
    What album are you referring too when you say "favorite live act"? I'd like to get it, especially since it is considered one of your top 5 island albums. That's GOT to be good. Please advise and thanks.

Tom

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    edited June 2020
    treitz3 wrote: »
    What album are you referring too when you say "favorite live act"? I'd like to get it, especially since it is considered one of your top 5 island albums. That's GOT to be good. Please advise and thanks.

Tom

FWIW, I took this to mean that the album is a Top 5 Deserted Island album and that Shawn Mullins is his favorite live act.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • treitz3
    Ah, gotcha! Thanks. That aspect didn't even dawn on me. DOH!

*smacks head*

Tom
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066

Same here Troy but a "few" years ago when the Flora-Bama was less than medium sized. On vacations to Perdido Key I would find my way there. There were no condominium complexes on either side.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • TroyD
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Ah, gotcha! Thanks. That aspect didn't even dawn on me. DOH!

*smacks head*

Tom

Sorry about that, brother!!! LOL...Live @VP is NOT a must have album LOL

But, seeing him live is another story....that's a must do.

BDT

• TroyD

Same here Troy but a "few" years ago when the Flora-Bama was less than medium sized. On vacations to Perdido Key I would find my way there. There were no condominium complexes on either side.

Yup, In my case, early 90's......off season, it was just a dive bar. Now, went there on July 4th weekend (might have been Labor Day but whatever) and it was a mob scene for sure!!

BDT