A Wealth Of Questions....

tdmoon
tdmoon Posts: 4
Hello, all.

I had zero knowledge of home theater systems when I decided to dip my toes into the hobby. Trying to learn as I go but it seems the more I learn the more questions I have. Currently running a 5.1.2 setup using a Yamaha RX-V685 avr, Signature s55's as fronts, s35 center, s15 surrounds, t15 rear heights and hts12 sub in a 20'x30'x10' room. All thoughts would be welcome regarding the following:

-Would adding an hts10 sub show much improvement? Or would I need to match with another hts12?
-Would it be better to use front heights rather than the current rears with the Yamaha avr?
-Would the s30 center be an improvement over the s35?
If so(and this may be a dumb question), would s35's be good as height speakers?

Apologies for the long-winded post but any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited June 2020
    Is there something specific you feel you are lacking or needs improvement or are you just asking in general how to improve your system?

I can’t answer many questions except the sub. Unless you have a bad room with some gnarly bass nodes or suck out a second poll sub isn’t gonna do much. I would sell the Polk and buy as HSU or SVS. Check out this thread:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/159046/the-first-time-you-heard-a-real-subwoofer-after-owning-an-entry-level-sub/p1
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tdmoon
    tdmoon Posts: 4
    edited June 2020
    Mostly in general about improving my system.

I knew I would be advised to go with a sub that's not Polk but I'm kind of doing this as a learning experience and hobby and have been cheaping out wherever I can. My employer gives me a solid discount on Polk products so I've been going that route, other than my initial Pioneer center which I was quickly dissatisfied with. Even though it was an improvement, I still feel the current s35 center is the weakest link. I am somewhat happy with the bass output but some areas of the room certainly sound better than others and I wondered if adding another sub would even it out a bit. Sub placement is not optimal but it's a living room and options are a little limited. It would be nice to have a better sub but I can get a new hts10 through Polk for $130; it seems that a much higher quality sub would be quite a bit more expensive.