splicing speaker wire??? y/n

Handyhaver
Handyhaver Posts: 66
When I first got my RM7600 system I wired the sub PSW650 as per POLK through the front l/r speakers. Later on I tried the LFE hook up and (to me anyway) it seemed to rock better wired as per POLK.
I had to cut the front l/r speaker wires for the LFE hook up (way to long) and was wondering if splicing the wires back together ( with solder) would be alright or is it better to run 2 new wires. I'll need to get about 60' of new wire to do this. I'm using the h/d 12 guage wire.

thanks for the input!!

Mark
You can check out any time you like..,
but you can never leave...........
Post edited by Handyhaver on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2002
    Mark,

I would advise not splicing the wires if at all possible......I have done it in a pinch from time to time but as a rule, I would try to avoid it.....

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Handyhaver
    edited April 2002
    Troy,

That's what I thought also, but my brother (the cheap one of the family) insisted that splicing would be just as good. I think the wire is only .39 a ft, so whats another 24.00 with all I have invested so far.

Thanks for your opinion Troy. I may have done it if it was a common practice but always had thought that a solid wire is the way to go.

Mark
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2002
    I think as a rule, it's not such a hot idea. As I said, I've done it, it worked temporarily but you know, anything worth doing is doing properly.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited April 2002
    Hi:

If you want to splice the wire. Twist each splice togather and solder. Put shrink tubing over each lead. Be sure to thread it on before soldering. After you have done both leads apply shrink tubing over both wires for a nice looking and solid connection. You should have no problems with this.

Gary
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited April 2002
    Hmm...I don't think it would provide too much of an audible difference...however, you run into this problem:

You're adding one more 'transistor' which the current has to jump across. While the physical space between wiring is extremely minimal, the signal must jump across a plane nonetheless. Plus you are exposing the innards of your wire to the elements. Soldering the wire could reduce this, and frankly, you may not have a problem.

But if you're spending the time and money to build a nice system, why have some half-assed wire connecting the whole thing? For any reason at all, get new wire for PEACE OF MIND. :)

In the future, why not just round up the excess wire and tie it together behind you're rack/unit, and leave it, in the case you may need it later.

john
  • Handyhaver
    edited April 2002
    John,

To answer the last question of yours:

1 First System

2 Newbie

3 Hind sight..........20-20

4 Thought LFE was the way to go

5 Got enough wires behind the rack (according to the wife!!)

6 I'll know next time

Mark
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited April 2002
    I'll know next time

That's what it's all about man :D Good luck!
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2002
    splices at the ends are worse than ones in the middle and if you want to do it just do a good job and if you have any problems you should check there first but i would recomend replaceing them i have wall plates with binding poste behing my recever and all my speakers so i would have spliceses in all my speaker wire runs