Can my new Denon DRA-800H receiver power a pair of LSI 15 speakers?

Options
Hi All, Happy Friday! Long time Polk owner... first time poster. So, I just bought a new Denon DRA-800H 2 channel receiver rated at 100 watts at 8 ohms and wanted to get some nice Polk speakers to match with it. Always liked the looks of the LSI 15's and they always have great reviews. Some are available for sale close to me at an amazing price and I loved to get them, but not sure if my receiver would be way underpowered for them. I know the LSI's are 4ohm speakers and my receiver can handle 4ohm but again would the LSI's be too much for the Denon. Here's a link to the Denon receiver https://usa.denon.com/shop/DenonNA-networkaudioplayers/dra800h_d

Comments

• Muchieman
    Muchieman Posts: 204
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @OP, your unit will drive those LSi-15's, no reason that unit wouldn't. Now all though that line has been Discontinued for about 10 years by PolkAudio if I remember right. You may want to give Polk Audio customer service department a call or shoot a email into them. Just to check and see if replacement driver's or XO are still available just in case you buy a used pair and you get them home and find something isn't working Properly.
    You may luck out and find a pair still in good working condition. Buying a pair of used 10 + years or older and going by looks alone I wouldn't recommend unless you can give them a good run though with a CD of your choice. If you can get them on the cheap, say 600 or less for the pair and Polk Audio can get you replacement driver's or XO if you happen to find something isn't right, than they may be worth the Hassle. Those where going for around 950 a pair new back in 2011. So at today's dollars worth 500 to 600 tops in good condition, fair to less than fair condition no more than 300 to 400 for the pair.

Tank
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited June 2020
    Options
    That Denon will not be able to drive the LSi-15. I have owned them in the past, powered by a more robust receiver than the Denon, and it was not capable of running them. The problem is not getting sound out of them, but rather there being enough current capable of controlling them. The power supply in the receiver is just not up to that task.

You will need a fairly good 4 ohm capable amp to run them safely. Anything else runs the risk of damaging the receiver (most likely), the speakers, or BOTH. I know this from first-hand experience. Specs on the Denon show it to not even be rated for a 4 ohm load, so you cannot use it, despite what the previous poster stated, so please ignore that advice.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    I wouldn’t do it without a high current amp. I have had 2 pair and burned up the crossover by under powering them (clipping).

Nice receiver though from what I’ve read.

I still have one pair that have been sitting in the boxes for a few years.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    I had a set of LSi15s running on a much more robust AVR and same as John, they were never able to show their potential until I added an Adcom GFA-555 into the mix.

The LSi15s are notoriously tough loads to run. You can get sound from a receiver but it is always going to be sub-par and you will never be able to turn it up without risk of sending a seriously clipped signal to the speakers. And that will substantially increase the risk of damaging the crossover or tweeters.

Just my experienced 2 cents.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    Muchieman wrote: »
    @OP, your unit will drive those LSi-15's, no reason that unit wouldn't. Now all though that line has been Discontinued for about 10 years by PolkAudio if I remember right. You may want to give Polk Audio customer service department a call or shoot a email into them. Just to check and see if replacement driver's or XO are still available just in case you buy a used pair and you get them home and find something isn't working Properly.

Tank

Last I knew there was no parts left at Polk.

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Tank

They had no parts for my 25s when I called a few years ago.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Tank

They had no parts for my 25s when I called a few years ago.

Well I'm going off of what another member posted several years ago when he was looking for some drivers for the Lsi15's he was told then no parts available.