ROGUE PREAMP

pearsall001
pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
I'm think about giving some "Tubes" a try. I have an opportunity to pick up a new ROGUE RP-1 preamp at a great price. From what I can gather it receives stellar reviews. It has a HT Bypass & remote that is just what the Dr. ordered. Does anyone have any experience with the RP-1 or Rogue gear in general. I like that their made local & that the owner is great to work with. Comments, thoughts, other recommendations welcomed. I was originally thinking about a new DAC but I think this is a better move.
"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.

Comments

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    That's a very cool preamp! Go for it! gce posted up some feedback of his RP-5 awhile back: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/167654/rogue-rp-5-review/p1

Been wanting to try a Rogue Audio pre myself for a bit and especially the newer platform RP-1. I've listened to their stuff many years at AXPONA and find the company's story pretty cool. Some day...

https://www.dagogo.com/an-interview-with-mark-obrien-of-rogue-audio/
    https://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php/blogging-on-audio/248-s-andrea-sundaram/817-a-day-at-rogue-audio
    https://twitteringmachines.com/road-tour-rogue-audio/
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I have a Rogue Audio Triton phono pre-amp that I love. If I weren't so entrenched in a PS Audio stack, I would probably go for a Rogue stack.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    If you get it let me know. I'll send you some 12AU7' s to roll.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 362
    A local shop here sells their stuff. It seems pretty nice, and I like that it’s made here in PA. Hopefully someday I can check it out. Post a review if you pull the trigger!
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    I have a Rogue Cronus Magnum II integrated amp. Very well built. Really like it. Have not had any problems or issues with it.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Faustin wrote: »
    I have a Rogue Cronus Magnum II integrated amp. Very well built. Really like it. Have not had any problems or issues with it.
    Very nice!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I had a couple versions of the Rogue Perseus preamp, and found them to be able performers, but the Pass Labs preamps were a better fit for my amplifiers. I would consider going with a used Pass X1 as an option.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pearsall001
    audioluvr wrote: »

The RP-1 is ordered in silver. It should be here in a week to 10 days.
    I'm going to stick with the stock tubes for awhile to get the feel for them.
    After that I just might take you up on your kind jesture.
    It comes stock with JJ's.
    What are your recommendations.

Thanks 🍺

"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Well on my system I like the Raytheon tubes but you may not. I've never tried the JJ's so those could be ideal for your likes. PM me when you get the urge to roll.

njk4wng06wu8.jpg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pearsall001
    Well on my system I like the Raytheon tubes but you may not. I've never tried the JJ's so those could be ideal for your likes. PM me when you get the urge to roll.

njk4wng06wu8.jpg

You got it. Thanks again for the kind offer.
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594

The RP-1 is ordered in silver. It should be here in a week to 10 days.
    I'm going to stick with the stock tubes for awhile to get the feel for them.
    After that I just might take you up on your kind jesture.
    It comes stock with JJ's.
    What are your recommendations.

Thanks 🍺

I'm a tube head, You will want to get some NOS tubes tubes, trust me! But I think it's a good idea to start with stock so you can get a feel. The amp won't be at it's best till you get some good tubes. Psvane and Gold lion are the only new production tubes I recommend but NOS are the way to go eventually. Enjoy and let us know what you think
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• pearsall001
    Nothing like a never ending rabbit hole. It sounds like a lot of fun awaits. 👍🍺
  • acmf74
    acmf74 Posts: 936
    I currently have the Rogue Perseus magnum. It's a solid piece of equipment, it also has a phono input and HT bypass switch. I like the sound more from the Rogue than my old Cary. I also have the RCA cleaptops in it which I find to be a tad bright. I'm looking for another set of tubes that can tame it abit off the highs.
  • pearsall001
    Looks like delivery is set for Wed 6/17. Can't wait to get 'er set up & get these old crusty ears on it.
    If all goes well my eyes are focused next on the Rogue Model 100 tube amp.
    Things are looking up in tubevile.