Maybe the weirdest day of my life...so far.

I just finished my last day at work and God willing I will never have to work again. Strange feeling to realize the day is finally here, no elation no triumphant feeling it's just weird. I hope I like this being retired. I think it may all sink in when I have made my last roundtrip to Arizona and am done moving. As it stands I am going to have to make at least two more round trips until I finally get to stay there. I guess I have to breathe that sigh of relief before I get all happy about it. Moving sucks even if it's to a better place.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Yeah, I had about the same experience -- mine was extra weird in that it was a Friday in January (2014) and I had a long, late-day meeting (!) that lasted until after 6pm. After it ended, I grabbed my last few things and lumbered out to the car in a nearly-empty parking lot on a cold, damp, dreary evening and drove, alone, to NH.

So, yeah, I am empathetic. Next week will probably feel pretty good (or maybe next month, depending on how long it takes to finish your move).

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    A somber congratulations to you Bruce.
    That is all.
    Carry on.
    I disabled signatures.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Congrats on the weirdest day of your life!

Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2020
    oh, yeah -- and --
    'grats.

Sorry I got all me-centric before.
    Wait.
    I just did it again.

:/

In all seriousness, I do think thing's'll be lookin' up and up (and up) at no time.

https://youtu.be/8qrriKcwvlY
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited May 2020
    Congrats Bruce, ...just think of it walking off into the sunset, tomorrow will be another day

Break On Through ( To The Other Side )

https://youtu.be/-r679Hhs9Zs
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Congrats on both your retirement and relocating!
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,908
    Congrats Bruce. There is an adjustment period, but you'll get use to it. I love being retired and not having to put up with the politics at work. Also not having to hurry to get things done around the house during the weekend because I had to go back to work on Monday.

I always figured when I retired that the days would go by slowly compared to when I was working. However they go by faster for me now than when I was working.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Congrats bro,,, AZ nice. Jump on out to the coast to cool down

12 years 5 months 6 days and I can do a post like this.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    So you're moving all the way to Arizona just so you can sneak over the fence at Steve's hiouse at night to take a dip in his pool.

........most EXCELLENT of plans Sir 😀

Retirement IS all it's cracked up to be. You'll enjoy it along with your new loction.
    Sal Palooza
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Congrats on your retirement plan. B)

I'm glad you made it.

Sat. then Sun.. Repeat over and over. :p

A lot of good movies come on after 11PM. :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    So are you retiring, going to prison for life or did you off your wife who has a huge life insurance policy? You never specified. If you retired, congratulations you lucky bastage!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Just have fun and enjoy life!!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Congrats man, it is a good feeling to get up in the morning and be able to do whatever you want to do.....instead of the things you HAVE to do, for someone else, as in a job. After awhile, you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mrloren wrote: »
    Congrats bro,,, AZ nice. Jump on out to the coast to cool down

12 years 5 months 6 days and I can do a post like this.

... but who's counting? ;)
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    Congrats for sure! Staring a new chapter in the book of life is usually a nervous time. You'll get over it quickly enough and look back on this to wonder why you thought it was so strange. I have yet to meet a former coworker that retired and hear them say they regret making that decision. So 2 new adventures for you, I'm green with envy(other than the actual move).
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    Congrats on the retirement. I'm two years in and am wondering why I kept all of my old work documents, spreadsheets, contacts etc. I ain't ever going back!

You will soon discover how many hours there are in a day. You need to fill them or you will go mad. Sleeping in? I wish, I wake at the same ridiculously early time as when I worked.

Initially I was knocking off the home project list like that was my new job. Now I find that although I need still some sort of project in the works to keep my sanity, I have no real need to get it done in any time frame. Whenever is my new time frame.

The wife is retiring next week, good thing I have a man cave!

Enjoy!

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    Congrats man. I'm seriously considering it. It's definitely sooner than later for me. Turned 60 last year and it was like a switch went on...or off in my brain. So much stuff I want to do

Enjoy!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • mhardy6647
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Polkitup2 wrote: »

You will soon discover how many hours there are in a day. You need to fill them or you will go mad. Sleeping in? I wish, I wake at the same ridiculously early time as when I worked.

I am not at risk of going mad, I preemptively went insane years ago.

Signature line material, right there.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Way to go Bruce enjoy it well deserved did they reward you with a pat on the back, a plaque and a matching pen and pencil set? If not who cares give them all low grades on the exit interview.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Way to go Bruce enjoy it well deserved did they reward you with a pat on the back, a plaque and a matching pen and pencil set? If not who cares give them all low grades on the exit interview.

My boss accused me of stealing my work truck today.
  • mhardy6647
    I mean, they would just have had to sanitize it, right?
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    butterbean wrote: »
    Congrats! Enjoy your freedom! 6 Saturday’s and 1 Sunday from now on!

NO!!!! 7 Saturdays.
  • afterburnt
    Yeah, it is like "let's get ready for work tomorrow" on the other hand Sunday is a day of rest and after 6 Saturdays I'm gonna need it!
  • afterburnt
    I never learned how to be in charge of myself, I've been one someone else's schedule since I was four.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Congrats señor.
    Enjoy every day.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    Congrats sir! Enjoy it!!
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Congrats to you sir! I retired a year ago and love it!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Congratulations on your Retirement!

For the first few weeks, you'll feel like you're simply on Vacation. After a period of time, it will finally sink in.

There is NOTHING like getting up in the morning, and knowing the only person you have to answer to is yourself.

The only downside to retirement, as previously mentioned, is that time literally FLIES.

Hold on :)