My Harmony One died.

Ricardo
Ricardo Posts: 10,636
edited May 2020 in Electronics
And tried to get a replacement...but they don't make them anymore. Can't believe it.

It lasted 12 years, and it was dropped a thousand times. Best remote ever.

Looking at the 950 as replacement. Anyone has gone from the one to the 950? Yay or nay??

Thanks!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
SOPA
Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Comments

• Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    Still have a ONE in my bedroom setup. Purchased the 950 with hub for my theater setup. The one thing I dislike about the 950 is not having the hard buttons for the numbers. They do show up on the touchscreen but just not the same as having the hard button. The onscreen display on the ONE seems to have a much better color palette as well compared to the 950. Overall, the 950 works the same but once you get use to the feel and functions of the ONE is hard to go to another remote in my opinion.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • Ricardo
    Thanks. I guess I'll have to give it a try, Found a one but they are asking over $300 for it. No way.

What the heck happened with Logitech......Harmony One and the Squeezebox are some of the best products you could get.

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Keep your eyes on the used market (Craigslist, FB, LetGo, etc.). I have two that I picked up used over the years. Got the second one because the screen on the first has a minor defect. Using both at the time and keeping fingers crossed that they last! I'm with you on the new touchscreen remotes lacking the hard buttons. The Harmony One is the best remote I've ever used.
  • Ricardo
    I hardly ever use the numbers. So that shouldn't be a problem for me. Hope this one lasts another 12 years.

SOPA
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    You are lucky, mine crapped out just after the warranty. The most important button wore out rendering the whole thing useless.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    All those that Al mentioned, and what about Ebay?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Ricardo
    Thanks for the input. Ordered the 950. I figure I'd rather go with a new one that will have a better chance to last and has some warranty.

SOPA
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    My condolences...RIP Harmony :'(
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    You can replace that battery
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 362
    edited May 2020
    I have the 950 and it's great... only complaint is battery life is not so good, which was the same on the older Harmony model it replaced. It can only lay around on the coffee table for about 3-4 days before it's dead.

Got the 950 refurbed on ebay and still going strong after a couple years.
  • Ricardo
    edited May 2020
    You can replace that battery

I know, and did that a few years ago. But this time it's not the battery. Screen goes crazy randomly and it doesn't respond. Probably all it could stand was 999 drops....

SOPA
  • Mikey081057
    I have a 950 and an ultimate one... note that the 950 is only IR and has no hub...

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Ricardo
    I have a 950 and an ultimate one... note that the 950 is only IR and has no hub...

Yes, I don't have anything that requires RF.

SOPA
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    CottageChz wrote: »
    I have the 950 and it's great... only complaint is battery life is not so good, which was the same on the older Harmony model it replaced. It can only lay around on the coffee table for about 3-4 days before it's dead.

Got the 950 refurbed on ebay and still going strong after a couple years.

That's terrible battery life. My One+, which gets used daily, will go weeks without needing a charge. Are all the newer Harmony's like that?
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165

I have both of them, too. They both can work with a hub.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Thanks for the input. Ordered the 950. I figure I'd rather go with a new one that will have a better chance to last and has some warranty.

It's a good remote. I, too, have the same, albeit minor, complaint others expressed about battery life. Just remember to place it back in the charger at the end of the day and you'll be fine. Forget for a day or two, and you'll be SOL until it gets enough of a charge to function. I use mine with a hub, and that at least gives you the ability to use the smartphone app as a backup.
    You did better than me with the Harmony One... Mine died several years ago!
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 362
    DaveHo wrote: »
    That's terrible battery life. My One+, which gets used daily, will go weeks without needing a charge. Are all the newer Harmony's like that?

I had an ultimate before my 950/elite and the battery life was equally poor, unfortunately.
  • Mikey081057
    Is the Elite just the 950 with a smartphone app and a hub?

• Ricardo
    Just a quick update. I really like the 950. I just hope it lasts as much as the One. Yes, the battery's initial charge only lasted 4 days, but that's not really an issue.

Some things are different but nothing you can't get used to in a couple of days.

So overall, very happy with my new remote.

SOPA
  • Ricardo
    Well my 950 lasted just a couple of years. It still works, but I got a new TV and when I tried to program it MyHarmony does not recognize the remote. Looks like this one also does not like to be dropped......

Anyway, I can live with having the TV remote to just turn it on and off and use the harmony for everything else, but was looking around for logitech/harmony replacements and it's crazy how much people are asking for them.

Are there any alternatives for activity based remotes that control everything like the logitechs?

Thanks!!!

SOPA
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Watching this thread, because I've been curious, as well.

Why does it seem that Logitech discontinues the products that people love so much? Surely they've got to be getting this feedback from people?

This is just as bad as Old Spice discontinuing the Matterhorn A/P deodorant.
    Or Hanes t-shirts being a crapshoot on collar fit
    Or the original Converse All-Stars going out of business.
    Or Downy Calming Mist fabric softener.

Ahem. some chick took over my keyboard on that last one.

I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I too feel compelled to chime in on this one.

First off, sorry for your loss, Ricardo. These were truly great remotes.

I'll be following this thread as it progresses because I honestly thought someone would take over the Harmony model. But, alas.....crickets.

I have one Harmony remote I have yet to program. I fear that it will not do what I ask of it because I have newer gear that they knew nothing about when I got the remote. I acquired it around the same time you bought yours.

It is for sale at a cost of $1K.....(just kidding)

It would be interesting how this thread develops. With technology as it is today, one would think a simple "remote" that encompasses all would be easy as finding that ever elusive black paint.

But I digress...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Similarly, I am surprised no one has moved into the void created by Oppo’s departure from the disc player arena…
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Similarly, I am surprised no one has moved into the void created by Oppo’s departure from the disc player arena…

Streaming!
  • Ricardo
    edited July 2023
    So what does everybody else do? Just as an example, if I want to watch TV the harmony:

Turns on TV
    Turns on receiver. Selectes the TV input.
    Turns on Integrated amp (Use for the fronts). Selects HT bypass
    Turns on satellite box.
    Then it controls volume on the receiver, channels on the satellite box.

If I want to go from TV to XBox, it turns off/on and selects inputs accordingly.

And I can select individual components to do whatever to each.

How do people replace all these remotes if not with a harmony???? There must be something out there....

SOPA
  • pitdogg2
    My dish remote controls my Sony TV, pioneer SC27 receiver and oppo 205.
  • Ricardo
    Good News.....looks like I will be enjoying my 950 for a few more years. It turns out you can't use just any cable to connect with the PC. It HAS to be the micro USB that came with the remote. Go figure.....

I had it in a drawer and tried it....voila.

Life is good.

SOPA
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 883
    msg wrote: »
    Watching this thread, because I've been curious, as well.

Why does it seem that Logitech discontinues the products that people love so much? Surely they've got to be getting this feedback from people?

This is just as bad as Old Spice discontinuing the Matterhorn A/P deodorant.
    Or Hanes t-shirts being a crapshoot on collar fit
    Or the original Converse All-Stars going out of business.
    Or Downy Calming Mist fabric softener.

Ahem. some chick took over my keyboard on that last one.

Because the market diminishes. Most people are using chromecasts or FireTV sticks, the only thing they really need to control are their TV and stream stick, MAYBE receiver, with most of these people just using volume, and power controls.

Unfortunately we just simply are moving away from TV setups which have all of this equipment. As much as it's awesome, it's also expensive, and people are lazy and don't want to, say, change Blu-Rays. They'd rather pay $20/month for netflix and watch it on their bedroom TV.
  • pitdogg2
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Good News.....looks like I will be enjoying my 950 for a few more years. It turns out you can't use just any cable to connect with the PC. It HAS to be the micro USB that came with the remote. Go figure.....

I had it in a drawer and tried it....voila.

Life is good.

Definitely do not toss it or lose it, I made that mistake cleaning out all my old "phone" cables and tossed out the one I needed to recharge a big battery I used in travel. I hadn't traveled in a length of time and boy was I scrambling to find another to use. I now tie it with an old shoestring to the battery to avoid that mistake in the future.
    Glad to hear you got it going :D;)